First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
The keypad, FOB and intelligent access (handles) and the physical key can unlock the truck; that's stating the obvious....

In either case, for my Lariat the FOB is required to actually start the truck. If I lock the FOB in the truck via the keypad and open it via the same, isn't the risk of getting the truck stolen too great? Obviously, if I forget to lock the Lariat, it's on me making it easy to take the truck. I guess my question is, just how easy to get into the Lariat when it is locked?

Thx...
Sponsored

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

just how easy to get into the Lariat when it is locked?
Somebody got into an old car of mine once and it didn't have a proximity key, or a keypad, or a phone app to unlock it. They made it look pretty easy and all they needed was access to the rear windshield and a tire iron. Probably similar with Lariat. 🫤

Bottom line - I wouldn't leave keys to ignition in the truck if you can avoid it. Also - don't leve anything visible that might be tempting.

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glass break tool breaks glass in one second. Many seem oblivious that the keypad does not protect the key/fob inside from allowing the vehicle to be stolen. Many cars get stolen in a few seconds otherwise they move on. Without the key it is hard unless it is a Kia or an older car. That's why insurance shouldn't cover stolen vehicle if key/fob left inside. We all pay for that with higher rates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
My main summer exercise is trail biking and based on this poll, I was debating locking the FOB into my truck, instead of having it with me. It didn't seem like a good idea and you guys just confirmed my suspicion. Thx...

As such, I will continue taking the FOB with me together with my cell phone. Most of the times I don't take my house and other keys with me, when my better half is home. If she's not, I just lock my house keys into the truck's glove compartment with the FOB, or the intelligence access.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Faraday keyfob box with a magnet and hide it under the bumper on something metal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Skyline

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Faraday keyfob box with a magnet and hide it under the bumper on something metal.
That's just as "old style" as the keypad, not to mention that the fender and/or bumper where one would start to look. I mean you could also lock/unlock with the FordPass:

Provided that one has the app installed, which I don't...

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's just as "old style" as the keypad, not to mention that the fender and/or bumper where one would start to look. I mean you could also lock/unlock with the FordPass:

Provided that one has the app installed, which I don't...
I mean, you asked for a solution to store the key in the vehicle, so I assumed the obvious solution was to avoid mentioning FordPass. The Faraday box can be put inside the vehicle too... you just use the keypad to unlock.

Guess you'll just have to carry it on you then. That's what I do.
Sponsored