Sponsored

Just blipping the key to the start position starts engine? (XL)

jahl

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
This should be a short thread, because I suspect this is a dumb question. But I went to start my truck and went to turn the key from ACC to start, turned it for a nanosecond before it slipped back to the on position (due to trying to turn the key with a gloved hand that was also holding my phone- it slipped). Anyways, I expected the starter to just go for the brief moment that the key was in the start position (not long enough to start the engine). So I was going to wait a second and do it again, but to my surprise, the starter continued (after the key had returned to the on position) for the full duration needed to start the engine.

Is this how all modern vehicles are now and I have just never noticed this? And by "this", I assume the key signals a computer that initiates a somewhat automated start sequence (as opposed to old school where ignition start position was wired directly to starter solenoid.

Feel free to make fun of my key needing XL, my ignorance on this topic, but please also provide info. :)
Sponsored

Hillbilly

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No dumb questions here. I noticed that function first on the Wife's 2014 Taurus. Surprised me then. Haven't thought about the Mav doing it

OP
OP

jahl

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
  • Banned
Ford has used this setup since at least 2012 as my Focus has it.
🤣
No wonder nobody calls me Mr Current Events.

I live in a peaceful rural setting, and upon getting my 2003 Tundra, I promptly added a diy push button start- flip two switches up and push a big red button. I did that because security/theft is not a concern and I like empty pockets and that would have been the only key I needed to carry. I don't think I have seen the keys to that truck in many years, no clue where they are. Years ago when I bought my other more modern car that uses keyfob and push button start, I put the key in the console it has never been touched.

Knowing that the Maverick starts with a command and not a crank, I may have to add a secret start button somewhere. Maybe convert the autostop disable button to a start button.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm still trying to get used to not needing to push the brake pedal to start the car. Been using push button cars since 2014.
Sponsored