First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve wanted to get rid of the silver Lariat grille bar since before I even got it and bought DipYourCar’s Hyperdip in the winter and have been waiting for better pnw weather to paint/dip it. After being without my Mav for nearly two months due to getting rear ended, I got it back and the weather finally cooperated!

I love the end result. I may remove the dip from the ford emblem but am leaving it as is for now. I also attempted the Lariat side emblems without success so I’ll do those again when I do the rear emblems. Dang those little letters.

I might have gone a bit overkill on the taping but this was my first time using plastidip and wasn’t sure about overspray. I did 2 very light coats, 5 min between, then 5 light coats 20 min between, and at that point realized I could have gone a bit heavier so did 4 more true wet coats, 15 min between (it got sunny out). I let it sit for an hour and began peeling, which was kind of fun. Very pleased with how it turned out. No more silver!

Ford Maverick Hyperdip Lariat grille bar (Plastidip) 976FB678-4606-4296-BD99-68AB445C1907

Ford Maverick Hyperdip Lariat grille bar (Plastidip) D8232BEA-7BA8-4274-BDBB-DEE03BA4457C

Ford Maverick Hyperdip Lariat grille bar (Plastidip) 7FCE3E87-E95A-4566-AF0F-0BC9A1536DCB

Ford Maverick Hyperdip Lariat grille bar (Plastidip) ED36644C-0D50-42A0-B9B3-C105AA1E2600
Sponsored

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love this. My main gripe with the lariat trim is all the lariat colored highlight pieces. The silver/chrome look is terrible IMO. Love whatcha did. And i’d leave the plastidip over the emblem.

Have you by chance in the past tried tremclad over plastidip? Wondering the durability differences.

OP
OP
TheBear

TheBear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love this. My main gripe with the lariat trim is all the lariat colored highlight pieces. The silver/chrome look is terrible IMO. Love whatcha did. And i’d leave the plastidip over the emblem.

Have you by chance in the past tried tremclad over plastidip? Wondering the durability differences.
I have never heard of tremclad. This was my first time ever plastidipping anything before (technically it’s DYC’s fancier Hyperdip) but I’ve spray painted plenty of things. Before I did it, I researched a bit from other forums and the plastidip variants seem to hold up pretty well. And you can always touch it up.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Tremclad is a great rust paint available in Canada,not sure if it’s marketed under that name elsewhere.
I definitely wouldn’t use it on the body of a vehicle, undercarriage maybe, visible body a hard no.
it doesn’t lay flat, takes forever to harden and stays tacky in hot weather forever…
lots of the brands of “rattle cans” which would work great though.
for trim the best I ever used was the commercial brand “TMP” (Transportation Maintenance Products) but I haven’t seen it available for years.
Another brand I’ve used for trim which worked excellent is SEM.
Plasti-Kote and Dupli-Color have worked okay.
Most of its all in the prep but Tremclad, no…

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have never heard of tremclad. This was my first time ever plastidipping anything before (technically it’s DYC’s fancier Hyperdip) but I’ve spray painted plenty of things. Before I did it, I researched a bit from other forums and the plastidip variants seem to hold up pretty well. And you can always touch it up.
You caaaan always touch up lol but it requires the same extensive premasking you had to do lol we use tremclad all the time for work is why i ask. Thanks!

Sponsored

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tremclad is a great rust paint available in Canada,not sure if it’s marketed under that name elsewhere.
I definitely wouldn’t use it on the body of a vehicle, undercarriage maybe, visible body a hard no.
it doesn’t lay flat, takes forever to harden and stays tacky in hot weather forever…
lots of the brands of “rattle cans” which would work great though.
for trim the best I ever used was the commercial brand “TMP” (Transportation Maintenance Products) but I haven’t seen it available for years.
Another brand I’ve used for trim which worked excellent is SEM.
Plasti-Kote and Dupli-Color have worked okay.
Most of its all in the prep but Tremclad, no…
Its made by rustoleum. Perhaps thats what they have stateside? Ps. What do you mean it doesnt lay flat lol we paint with it all the time… its defintely the best metal spray we’ve used. But i’ve never used plastidip. Thats why i was asking.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Man, that looks fantastic. No need to apologize for the excessive plastic. I couldn't do a project like that because I would end up having that black dip/paint stuff all up on the tailgate and in the interior just trying do the grill.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve wanted to get rid of the silver Lariat grille bar since before I even got it and bought DipYourCar’s Hyperdip in the winter and have been waiting for better pnw weather to paint/dip it. After being without my Mav for nearly two months due to getting rear ended, I got it back and the weather finally cooperated!

I love the end result. I may remove the dip from the ford emblem but am leaving it as is for now. I also attempted the Lariat side emblems without success so I’ll do those again when I do the rear emblems. Dang those little letters.

I might have gone a bit overkill on the taping but this was my first time using plastidip and wasn’t sure about overspray. I did 2 very light coats, 5 min between, then 5 light coats 20 min between, and at that point realized I could have gone a bit heavier so did 4 more true wet coats, 15 min between (it got sunny out). I let it sit for an hour and began peeling, which was kind of fun. Very pleased with how it turned out. No more silver!

976FB678-4606-4296-BD99-68AB445C1907.jpeg

D8232BEA-7BA8-4274-BDBB-DEE03BA4457C.jpeg

7FCE3E87-E95A-4566-AF0F-0BC9A1536DCB.jpeg

ED36644C-0D50-42A0-B9B3-C105AA1E2600.jpeg
Awesome come do ours. I will buy drinks -)

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great job masking it off. Never can do too much. Slightest breeze will carry droplets everywhere. Looks great.

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love this! Still waiting on my Lariat but this trim piece has been bugging me since I ordered. Looks like I will be doing my own plastidip project when it gets here
Sponsored