MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No....Hyundai has had issues with the dct powertrain before Santa Cruz. For example theirs hates speeds under 40 mph and is known to stall out.
Having owned 3 Hyundai and Kia cars with their DCT, I have no idea what you're talking about. The problem with the DCTs are that they are above the comprehension level of most buyers of those types of cars. People get them and drive them like normal automatics, and that leads to accelerated clutch wear and odd behavior. Driven appropriately - decisive throttle inputs, absolutely no creeping, etc - they are very reliable and very satisfying.

As for the Santa Cruz, this is their new 8-speed wet clutch system. This hasn't even been out long enough to have established a pattern of issues.
Sponsored

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm looking at this and shaking my head. I started driving with a 36 hp VW bug that didn't even have a gas gauge :). Passing? You had to have several miles of open road that you could see and then hope like hell you didn't run out of gas while passing🤣

Chasdev

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Silverado 14 Accord
Avoid K+N type air filters, they do flow more air but they filter dirt poorly.
Particles in the 4 micron range are very damaging to spendy internal bits and K+N ignore that level of filtration.
Good at keeping sand, gravel and small sparrows out though.
Also, I don't know how Maverick hybrid engines weigh intake air but if they use a hot wire sensor, the oil from the K+N (or any filter that needs oiling) will kill the mass airflow sensor right quick.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Particles in the 4 micron range are very damaging to spendy internal bits and K+N ignore that level of filtration.
Also, I don't know how Maverick hybrid engines weigh intake air but if they use a hot wire sensor, the oil from the K+N (or any filter that needs oiling) will kill the mass airflow sensor right quick.
Urban/internet legend. Been using K&N for decades without any issues, as has my son; we do meticulous maintenance and air flow sensors are always clean as a whistle. https://www.knfilters.com/blog/kn-reveals-mass-air-flow-sensor-urban-myths/

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having owned 3 Hyundai and Kia cars with their DCT, I have no idea what you're talking about. The problem with the DCTs are that they are above the comprehension level of most buyers of those types of cars. People get them and drive them like normal automatics, and that leads to accelerated clutch wear and odd behavior. Driven appropriately - decisive throttle inputs, absolutely no creeping, etc - they are very reliable and very satisfying.

As for the Santa Cruz, this is their new 8-speed wet clutch system. This hasn't even been out long enough to have established a pattern of issues.
https://www.wirtzlaw.com/2020/05/11...=The TCM and DCT defects,and/or loss of power.

Here is one example. Want more?

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You do know you can find this sort of stuff on basically every automaker out there?

Either way, this is completely irrelevant to the Santa Cruz. The 7-speed dry clutch DCT is a completely different transmission than the one in the Santa Cruz. This is like saying you're not going to buy a Maverick because Ford's PowerShift DCT was a disaster in the Focus. Irrelevant.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You do know you can find this sort of stuff on basically every automaker out there?

Either way, this is completely irrelevant to the Santa Cruz. The 7-speed dry clutch DCT is a completely different transmission than the one in the Santa Cruz. This is like saying you're not going to buy a Maverick because Ford's PowerShift DCT was a disaster in the Focus. Irrelevant.
I wouldnt buy it if it had that trans......

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let us all be grateful that reliability ratings are not exclusively pulled from car forums online. There will be plenty of Maverick issues on here in short order. It's the nature of forums.

I think we obviously both agree that the Maverick was the better choice, and hence we have either bought or ordered one and are both here. But Hyundai/Kia build excellent vehicles, and I am a repeat customer. I would not hesitate to recommend anything that they make. The Santa Cruz is just not for me.

This isn't a zero sum world. One vehicle being good does not make another bad. I've had so many cars - from Lexus, Porsche, Mercedes to Hyundai, Kia, and Nissan.. and the only truly awful vehicle I've ever owned was an Infiniti. The rest had their good and bad points, but I liked them all. (y)

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd like to go on the record saying that trying to change the valve timings in the Atkinson to try to get an Otto sounds like a really bad idea to me. I think the compression ratio would end up being way to high for the designed block and everything else. May as well just try to replace the ICE completely.

I think that you world have better luck tuning the motor/generators to contribute more. If you do that, though, could stress everything else in the transmission and drive train. That is assuming you can hack the system without bricking your truck.

Side note, what's a better auto term for bricking? I use brick to describe a phone that won't boot. A car that won't boot is a...
Boulder

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Particles in the 4 micron range are very damaging to spendy inte rnal bits and K+N ignore that level of filtration.
Have used K&N Filters in last 15-20 cars including Mini-Cooper Works, Landrover, and six Porsche 911's, Honda Element...they, with oiled fiber filter defiantly filter dust and pollen out better but allow more air to the engine...absolutely. They are most effective in motorcycles ...very noticeable difference in performance with K&N filters. Most performance car website will recommend K&N air and oil filters...but you do have to clean and reoil, in my case probably every 2 years....unless you live on dirt roads.

Most people knocking K&N filters are those that have never used them and get their facts from website chatrooms.

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a software developer I assure you the interface between ICE (gas engine) of the hybrid are specifically programmed to work in harmony with the electric motors and eCVT....I don't think a dealer or Joe Smoe Ford mechanic will have any clue on how to modify software to retain that interface with the eCVT, ICE and electric motor if anyone of the 3 devices are changed. If buying a hybrid it's best to make good choices up front, or go bigger....the days of the shade tree mechanic are unfortunately coming to an end.
Times change : Today they call the shade tree "cell tower" and mechanic "Hacker". Never underestimate a dude that flunked 9th grade who wanted his POS to run faster!

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Times change : Today they call the shade tree "cell tower" and mechanic "Hacker". Never underestimate a dude that flunked 9th grade who wanted his POS to run faster!
Without access to Fords software it would be most difficult to change...what's stored in a delivered vehicle is not the same software used to write \ create the software....very doubtful Ford would release access to such proprietary software.
Sponsored