Sponsored

How long will the headlight lens stay clear? How to prevent discoloration?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan on adding a very slight tint to my lights, no idea if it will protect them, but can easily be replaced when the vinyl fades
You can use clear tint if your goal is to just block UV. You don't need to cut down light in the visible spectrum.

IMO its not a big deal because:
1) Repairing them is super easy using a drill and those polishing tools.
2) Excuse to upgrade to aftermarket lights if they do turn ugly.
my concern is that the headlamp assembly cost $1k+ to replace. Sure, the LED may last forever, but the lenses won't and will have to be replaced, most likely in pairs...
Maverick looks like its going to be a high volume seller, if so, don't worry, aftermarket will be cooler and cheaper.
Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I have been shot down many times on this forum by people telling me not to worry about replacement cost because the LED lights should be a 'life of the vehicle' part. Lens crazing and yellowing are not addressed though by Ford though. At $1k+ to replace, this just seems like a terrible solution. Sure, the LED may last forever, but the lenses won't and will have to be replaced, most likely in pairs...
Yes and no. If you keep them clean and out of UV when possible they will last awhile. My wife parks the Lexus in the single car garage. I will park the Maverick under the carport I have and that will protect it a bunch. The other thing I do is try to park under a tree or a shady spot as much as possible. Understand UV is still around but by being out of direct sunlight will help a bunch. But you shouldn't have anything to worry about for at least 5 years. That is an estimate. Your weather in Texas is as bad as we are in Florida.

I used to own a SuperGlass Windshield Repair franchise here in Florida 2013-2015. One of the services we provided was to restore headlights by removing the damaged plastic, polishing it back to clear, and then we protect the lens with a 2 year guaranteed coating.
I looked them up and there is a franchise in Dallas/Ft Worth at 817-825-5669.
https://superglass.com

I have NO IDEA what the current rate is but it used to be around $50 per set. They clean everything up, tape everything off and 3-4 steps of sanding, then polish, buff, and the important part reseal. If you can do it yourself then you can save some money but by the time you buy stuff you could have had it done professionally.

Not sure about your area but Sam's Club used to do them as well. There was also a flea market that had a guy that did them. So you just have to look around.

But the clarity can be restored for a LOT cheaper than buying new headlights. Plus by the time you'll need to restore, there will be plenty of junk yards selling used ones for sure.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I miss my old '97 F-150. When the headlight assemblies finally got hazy, I ordered new ones online. $50 for the pair, which came with new Halogen bulbs. And no tools needed to change them out - you just pulled up on the retainer bar holding them in place.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
is fogging head lights even a thing anymore? my 2010 Raptor, an outside truck, is still clear.
Sponsored