Sponsored

How do I install additional tie down hooks?

JohninUtah

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry for my ignorance -- but there are lots of holes in the Maverick truck bed. It looks like some of them are for drainage but others seem to be for installing additional tie down hooks. I want to have a couple additional tie down hooks but I do not want to drill holes. Are some of the holes designed for installing tie down hooks? Which ones? And, where can I buy the tie down hooks and the compatible screws? Thanks for your helping this new owner of a beautiful 2024 Ford Maverick XL!
Sponsored

Gschaef

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry for my ignorance -- but there are lots of holes in the Maverick truck bed. It looks like some of them are for drainage but others seem to be for installing additional tie down hooks. I want to have a couple additional tie down hooks but I do not want to drill holes. Are some of the holes designed for installing tie down hooks? Which ones? And, where can I buy the tie down hooks and the compatible screws? Thanks for your helping this new owner of a beautiful 2024 Ford Maverick XL!
I also have an XL and added tie downs. There are four pre drilled holes inside each side of the bed where you would install a tie down rack. These are already tapped. Rather than install a rack I just used some eye bolts from Amazon. Eight for $10.00. No screws needed and they fit the pre drilled tapped holes. There are all kinds of other type d rings, etc. that you can use. If you need screws you will need M8 1.25x25mm. I have a spray in bedliner so I did use a M8 tapping drill to clean the holes out first.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087JWL4P5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

None of the other holes are tapped in the XL. There are two places you can add tie downs on the bed floor. They are up by the bulkhead and are larger than the other holes used for drainage. You can tap those for whatever screw size you need. I used the M8 tap there as well. If you get a two screw tie down you need to use one where the holes are 1 3/4 inches apart to match the ones in the bed. I have only found one that size so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5RME3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Or you can just use a one hole tie down and tap to whatever size you need.

You can also add tie downs to the upper corners by the tailgate. Those also need to be tapped. If you want to match the factory one you can try these. I believe the screw size is M6 x 1.0 x 25mm.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5W1VJ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can add up to 10 tie downs to the existing four for around $50 not counting the screws and there are hundreds to choose from. The tie downs you use will also depend on the weight and bulk you’re hauling. The eye bolts are more for light duty cargo so keep that in mind as you shop around. Good luck. Not near my truck right now so unable to provide photos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohninUtah

JohninUtah

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A thousand “thank you”s for an extremely informed and detailed response. I will be using all of it to install an additional four tie downs!

Gschaef

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad you found it helpful. One follow up if you use the pre drilled holes on the side. I mentioned the eye bolts are light duty. The eye bolts can actually handle a good load but I installed mine directly into the side of the bed and did not use a rail rack. A rail rack helps distribute load weight but they can be expensive. Installing any tie down directly into the side of the bed could cause some issues if you overload one of them with a heavy weight. Not a big issue, just something to be aware of.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
read the manual on how to tie stuff down properly. TOO MUCH yanking can bend/warp the bed.
Sponsored