First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hmm interesting, Ill bring it in regardless then and have them take a look. Didn't look at it today but I was on the road for four hours and didn't smell any exhaust.
good idea please report back if you can!
Sponsored

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
I did not have carbon buildup like your photo. That is the one thing I thought could be concerning in your case. I don’t know if that would be considered to be normal. See picture below that I just took showing no carbon on mine.

2C00E944-BCE3-4E91-B958-CFABF781925E.jpeg
Difference probably due to different driving patterns. An exhaust system that always gets hot when driven will collect very little moisture and will have nothing to drain. Exhaust system that gets started and stopped without heating up will collect a lot of moisture. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: TCK
OP
OP

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Difference probably due to different driving patterns. An exhaust system that always gets hot when driven will collect very little moisture and will have nothing to drain. Exhaust system that gets started and stopped without heating up will collect a lot of moisture.
Most of my driving has been on the highway and over longer distances. Might be due to the cold winter weather of Maine?

Last edited:

L Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LuxLariat 2.0 cactus grey FX4
Most of my driving has been on the highway and over longer distances.
Than I have no answer. But I still don’t think it is anything to worry about. A lot of stuff comes out of an exhaust and we have established that the hole is normal.

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Most of my driving has been on the highway and over longer distances. Might be due to the cold winter weather of Maine?
I lived in Portland for many years and I know just how cold it has been up there recently, I'm guessing it's taking quite a bit longer for your Maverick to get up to operating temps which means it's dumping extra fuel into the exhaust to help preheat the catalytic converter which will cause excess carbon and moisture.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did some more research on this looking at the Escape forums as well as the F150 forums. The general consensus is that in colder climates condensation and exhaust gas is escaping is more noticeable and as some of you pointed out more "sooty" as everything warms up. The 2.0L ecoboost in the Escapes have had these holes in the muffler's for years and it never seems to create any problems. I found discussions from 2013 about it. I will get the truck washed tomorrow to clean off the soot and keep an eye on it. As I said before I have had no issues with exhaust in the cabin when I idle it to warm up in the morning and haven't noticed any when driving.

I think I am going to cancel my appointment for Friday. I was planning to get the oil changed at 1500 miles but I think waiting until the 5k intervals I was going to stick with. I want to make sure everything is done "breaking" in and get most of the metals and additives out at once.

Thank you for the help everyone! I'm trying to be a proactive Maverick owner and educate myself to the best of my ability to make this truck last as long as possible.

Hammer

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 VW GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did some more research on this looking at the Escape forums as well as the F150 forums. The general consensus is that in colder climates condensation and exhaust gas is escaping is more noticeable and as some of you pointed out more "sooty" as everything warms up. The 2.0L ecoboost in the Escapes have had these holes in the muffler's for years and it never seems to create any problems. I found discussions from 2013 about it. I will get the truck washed tomorrow to clean off the soot and keep an eye on it. As I said before I have had no issues with exhaust in the cabin when I idle it to warm up in the morning and haven't noticed any when driving.

I think I am going to cancel my appointment for Friday. I was planning to get the oil changed at 1500 miles but I think waiting until the 5k intervals I was going to stick with. I want to make sure everything is done "breaking" in and get most of the metals and additives out at once.

Thank you for the help everyone! I'm trying to be a proactive Maverick owner and educate myself to the best of my ability to make this truck last as long as possible.
Thanks for your additional research and reply. I have the same 5k schedule in mind for changing the oil after originally planning at 1k.

Robrmrz7

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and ordered a maverick lariat
Hi! I picked up my truck last Saturday and so far its been a blast. We just did an 870 mile road trip from Maine to Philadelphia this past weekend. This morning starting my Maverick I noticed exhaust coming from the muffler with what looks like a punch through hole. I think it might of been done at the factory with how clean it looks, like a precision cut. I have an appointment friday to get it looked at and probably replaced with the warranty. So far I have no exhaust smell in the cabin, smell of something time to time I think is break in Has anyone else had this issue? I’ve attached some photos and a video. My Maverick has 1100 miles.

0A660856-98E9-47E6-8120-DC5A8826032D.jpeg
Holi chit.
Hope the guarantee covers everything you need. I have a gas tank recall. Been at the dealership almost 3 weeks.

OP
OP

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Holi chit.
Hope the guarantee covers everything you need. I have a gas tank recall. Been at the dealership almost 3 weeks.
I decided to cancel my appointment, just looked at it again and it doesnt seem any worse. Its been colder than normal the past few days so the morning cold starts have been a bit smokier l but gets better soon as its up to temp. Checked the oil as well, still at the normal marking's and has a smell of gas to it but nothing out of the normal for these engines I'm assuming. I remember reading somewhere that the Fuel dilution isn't as bad after 3k miles.

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can tell you mine has a hole in it without looking. I've seen the moisture in that spot on the ground walking up to it. I prestart my truck 5 days a week when going and returning from the gym. It's only 1 mile each way. I know, not ideal for a tdi or any motor really so I let it warm up 8 minutes or so before I drive it. It atleast makes me feel better.

Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Difference probably due to different driving patterns. An exhaust system that always gets hot when driven will collect very little moisture and will have nothing to drain. Exhaust system that gets started and stopped without heating up will collect a lot of moisture. Nothing to worry about.
^^^^^^
This!

Mikeysd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Laiat pepper red Lux package 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did not have carbon buildup like your photo. That is the one thing I thought could be concerning in your case. I don’t know if that would be considered to be normal. See picture below that I just took showing no carbon on mine.

2C00E944-BCE3-4E91-B958-CFABF781925E.jpeg
So how many miles do you have on yours?

NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What I find interesting - which no one else mentioned: I thought that the majority of the auto industry made stainless steel, pretty much standard exhaust material, across the board.

If the Maverick has weepholes in the muffler, I am assuming that the exhaust isn't stainless.

I'm gonna get blasted: "what do you expect for 20k" - but...pretty much everyone uses stainless, so I would be surprised if the Maverick doesn't.

It's a cheap truck - I get that - but paint chips/thin paint, easy-to-scuff interior finishes, decals that peel in the carwash.

I dunno...

It's things like this that make me wonder how she'll hold up longterm; I don't care about the use of hard plastics, steel wheels, the lack of cruise on the XL, a low end standard radio - I expect that - but I also expect longevity with whatever vehicle I buy.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I find interesting - which no one else mentioned: I thought that the majority of the auto industry made stainless steel, pretty much standard exhaust material, across the board.

If the Maverick has weepholes in the muffler, I am assuming that the exhaust isn't stainless.

I'm gonna get blasted: "what do you expect for 20k" - but...pretty much everyone uses stainless, so I would be surprised if the Maverick doesn't.

It's a cheap truck - I get that - but paint chips/thin paint, easy-to-scuff interior finishes, decals that peel in the carwash.

I dunno...

It's things like this that make me wonder how she'll hold up longterm; I don't care about the use of hard plastics, steel wheels, the lack of cruise on the XL, a low end standard radio - I expect that - but I also expect longevity with whatever vehicle I buy.
The SS content is further upstream. Most OEM exhaust behind the manifolds & cats are aluminized steel, not SS. You have to go way up in price to get a 100% SS exhaust system.

Reactions: NDL

Hammer

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 VW GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost