Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey everyone.

got my truck on thursday. Decided to forgo the spray/drop in from my build and purchase a DIY option instead.

herculiner 1 galon kit from amazon. Here in canada its about$200. I assume from amazon.com its like 130-150. I decided to go with herculiner for the following reasons:

-i didnt want to have to tape off the truck for a spray on application. I have all the necessary tools for spray on… but didnt want the hastle

-i wanted a thicker coat than spray on provides

-i decided that if im being cheap and doing the DIY option i should at least get rhe best rated and thickest product. Hence why i didnt choose the tremclad/other options.

-it was also the only one that ships to canada in a convenient gallon kit instead of quarts … (im certain i spelled the wrong quarts)

install review:

-took much longer than expected. Took a couple hours to properly scuff the whole bed.

-requires two coats. Its not too bad. Itdries so quick you can sit in the middle of the bed, first coat the sides, back, and first couple feet of the bed, then just restart for second coat. Then you hop out and do the last half of the bed and the tail gate from the ground.

-finished product is great. Thick textured coating. Hard to the touch. Feels very durable. The day after iapplied we had a torrential downpour. No run off. It had completely set by then (thank the lord lol)

-you absolutely need a galon kit to do these liners properly. I used 90% of my galon. The only extra thing i did was coat one side of a half sheet of mdf im going to use to double protect the bed floor. (Like a cheaper rigid bed mat)

Ford Maverick Herculiner Roll on Bed Liner DIY review C4F84606-664B-4ECF-A2B4-8E54B6ACBB6D
Sponsored

MDmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice. In the picture it looks like a semi gloss finish. Is that correct or is it more matte?

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not know. Trucks ultimately are work horses andyour treatment will add protection, but the finish seems a bit off. Did you use a roll for the application?
Personally, I would have bought an after-market drop-in or other solution for such a brand new truck.
Anyway your truck and you will enjoy it, I am sure.
Congratulations

OP
OP

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice. In the picture it looks like a semi gloss finish. Is that correct or is it more matte?
Youre right. Its pretty glossy but the texture matte’s the look a touch. But the product is definitely glossy

OP
OP

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I do not know. Trucks ultimately are work horses andyour treatment will add protection, but the finish seems a bit off. Did you use a roll for the application?
Personally, I would have bought an after-market drop-in or other solution for such a brand new truck.
Anyway your truck and you will enjoy it, I am sure.
Congratulations
Whats off about the finish for ya? And yes. its a roll on application. That was in the thread title lol

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You didn’t tape off the area where the liner stopped at the back of the bed sides? Just used a rolled edge?

Veritech

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAV4 Hybrid, 2007 MX-5, 2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gloss will disappear as it dries.

I did the same Herculiner roll on line. I didn't want to scuff up my bed paint so just rolled it on after cleaning it. I know my bonding won't be as strong as yours.

I ended up spending around $120-$130 in the states including a quart of xylene (thinner), paint tray, masking tape, etc.

The included foam roller will stick and break if Herculiner gets too tacky. Those foam roller replacements are expensive if you can find them. I bought the recommended xylene thinner the next day before applying a second coat.

I had a quart left and planned to touch up and add another layer. But I must not have cleaned and sealed the can properly. I couldn't opened the can a couple weeks later when weather and time permitted. Lol.

OP
OP

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gloss will disappear as it dries.

I did the same Herculiner roll on line. I didn't want to scuff up my bed paint so just rolled it on after cleaning it. I know my bonding won't be as strong as yours.

I ended up spending around $120-$130 in the states including a quart of xylene (thinner), paint tray, masking tape, etc.

The included foam roller will stick and break if Herculiner gets too tacky. Those foam roller replacements are expensive if you can find them. I bought the recommended xylene thinner the next day before applying a second coat.

I had a quart left and planned to touch up and add another layer. But I must not have cleaned and sealed the can properly. I couldn't opened the can a couple weeks later when weather and time permitted. Lol.
Haha ya its definitely a hard drying product. The roller is permanently stuck to a waste piece of wood now

ebxltfwd

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost XLT Carbonized Gray
Thanks for posting this. I've been considering doing this myself. The finish looks very blotchy in the photograph. Hopefully this will look better as it cures.

Sponsored

NoMavyYet

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f250 2002 Ranger
Please note this is installed to the directions, and was done a year ago. Light occasional truck duties
Ford Maverick Herculiner Roll on Bed Liner DIY review 79FA090F-2F31-4C4F-88F5-4AFF04EB7DAE
Ford Maverick Herculiner Roll on Bed Liner DIY review 79FA090F-2F31-4C4F-88F5-4AFF04EB7DAE
Ford Maverick Herculiner Roll on Bed Liner DIY review EAB0A22B-DAD9-48B6-92C3-B2B54DC5E033

bscarpenter

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
BC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick. XL Hybrid, 360, manual slider,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks great! How long was the project and any tips you have?
About 4 hours all together. I let the first coat set for around 10 hours. Roller worked well. Definitely dab when using the brush or you don’t get the texture. The bit on the plastic cleaned up easily with “goof off”.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've been pretty happy with my Herculiner rolled ZJ coating. I do regret listening to the dabbing instructions. I think the corners and edges would have turned out better brushed-in. But alas we only used 1 gallon on the whole Jeep so I think we can roll on a second coat(which I already have) and spruce it up a bit.
Ford Maverick Herculiner Roll on Bed Liner DIY review KIMG0121.JPG

Ford Maverick Herculiner Roll on Bed Liner DIY review KIMG0114.JPG
Sponsored