Sponsored

headlight cluster removal / DD fog light install

tired comet

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
markus
Joined
May 4, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
104
Reaction score
109
Location
ORD
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello all, can someone please explain to me how to remove the headlight switch cluster? Does the black panel snap out or do I have to snap out the surrounding blue plastic as a whole?

I want to install a switch at the right side of the headlight cluster for the new fog lights.
Installed the DD fog lights this week end. Easy install overall, went pretty much as the instructions and video showed. No real surprises but a couple points to consider.

- hose down the wheel well covers prior to work. Man those things were dusty to move out of the way to get behind the bumper
- once you have all bolts/screws out and are ready to pull assembly off, be careful. Once you push those two tabs down the bumper / grille comes off and out fast. Don't want to break any of that.
- 1/4" socket worked better than the 3/8" for clearance, bolts and screws weren't tight enough to the the 3/8" either
- when re-assembling make sure the back bottom panel is below the bottom of the front panel
- this is for stupid me, I'm sure you guys are smarter but ... remember left and right are based on driver position, NOT standing in front of the vehicle looking at it. Don't ask.

- DD should probably consider making the ground wire on the switch a bit longer
- DD might want to consider supplying a rectangular switch rather than a round one. I went to the store today to buy a rectangular switch to fit on the right side of the cluster. I guess I'll use the round one for something.
- the installation manual says to be liberal about cutting out the fake front bumper panels. They aren't kidding. As a carpenter by trade, I tend to cut cautiously. Had to cut several times until the fit right. Also tin snips cut that plastic easily

Thanks to DD for making a well designed product. I would recommend these. Install is cumbersome but not that hard. Just have to be careful. Wiring was also easy.
My mechanic commented this morning on how the black surround color matches the original bumper color.

I still have to go out tonight or tomorrow to adjust the beam height.
Sponsored

 

Carlitos_92

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Mar 24, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
2,491
Reaction score
5,242
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 XLT EB AWD Lux FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs
 
I haven’t done it yet, but I have my new F-150 switch ready. Here is a pic. There is a tab (circled) on all four sides. I am guessing a trim tool (along with tape on the dash panel) is the way to get the current switch out…

Ford Maverick headlight cluster removal / DD fog light install IMG_4762
 
OP
OP

tired comet

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
markus
Joined
May 4, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
104
Reaction score
109
Location
ORD
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thank you
 

Mdmac

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2024
Threads
35
Messages
490
Reaction score
478
Location
Kansas
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello all, can someone please explain to me how to remove the headlight switch cluster? Does the black panel snap out or do I have to snap out the surrounding blue plastic as a whole?

I want to install a switch at the right side of the headlight cluster for the new fog lights.
Installed the DD fog lights this week end. Easy install overall, went pretty much as the instructions and video showed. No real surprises but a couple points to consider.

- hose down the wheel well covers prior to work. Man those things were dusty to move out of the way to get behind the bumper
- once you have all bolts/screws out and are ready to pull assembly off, be careful. Once you push those two tabs down the bumper / grille comes off and out fast. Don't want to break any of that.
- 1/4" socket worked better than the 3/8" for clearance, bolts and screws weren't tight enough to the the 3/8" either
- when re-assembling make sure the back bottom panel is below the bottom of the front panel
- this is for stupid me, I'm sure you guys are smarter but ... remember left and right are based on driver position, NOT standing in front of the vehicle looking at it. Don't ask.

- DD should probably consider making the ground wire on the switch a bit longer
- DD might want to consider supplying a rectangular switch rather than a round one. I went to the store today to buy a rectangular switch to fit on the right side of the cluster. I guess I'll use the round one for something.
- the installation manual says to be liberal about cutting out the fake front bumper panels. They aren't kidding. As a carpenter by trade, I tend to cut cautiously. Had to cut several times until the fit right. Also tin snips cut that plastic easily

Thanks to DD for making a well designed product. I would recommend these. Install is cumbersome but not that hard. Just have to be careful. Wiring was also easy.
My mechanic commented this morning on how the black surround color matches the original bumper color.

I still have to go out tonight or tomorrow to adjust the beam height.

Hello,
I have 2023 XLT without Fog lights and would like to install a pair. Can you please provide me with a link for this Fog light Kit?
Thank you
 
OP
OP

tired comet

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
markus
Joined
May 4, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
104
Reaction score
109
Location
ORD
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup, that's the one.
Thank Mosin

SE Texas - you probably get more crap about having a baby pickup than I do :LOL:
Sponsored

 
 







Top