Sponsored

Have any of you replaced the rotary shifter with a normal one? ?

Blkraven66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just wondering if any of you have replaced the rotary shifter with a normal one? If so, how much did it cost ?
I didn't like it at first either, but after 3 weeks I'm pretty used to it, and I do like the extra room it provides. What about 3D printing something that would fit into that little cubby after the cup holders that would be tall enough to rest your hand on ?

Fluegelmeister

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Cx5, Miata MX5, Spec Miata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't stop when you turn it left or right, it just spins so I have to look at it when I twist it because I am slightly dyslexic. It should only go left or right with a hard stop so you know when you are in park or drive. I have put into park a couple of times when I was trying to shift to reverse and vice versa. I think this could be a safety issue.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wondering if any of you have replaced the rotary shifter with a normal one? If so, how much did it cost ?
WHY?....

Still waiting for mine, but drove an Audi SUV for a day which had rotary. Not hard at all to figure out and use.

I LIKE that the Mav spins past Park and Drive, those are the most common drive modes. In every vehicle except manual transmission you have to look at the shifter or dash to get into Reverse anyway.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No and works fine. Saves so much space too. Only beef is I wish there was a manual mode gear selector.
Yeah, the lack of manual gear control is a BIG miss on Ford's part, especially for a truck. I would've loved to have sat in on that meeting when that decision was made. Pretty inexcusable, IMO. In my current pre-ownership phase, that is easily my biggest gripe.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How long did it take for you to get the feel for it ? I don’t even look when I use a normal shifter.
The last 10 years I drove a 5-speed manual. Lots of muscle memory there.

Adjusting to using the rotary shifter took a couple of days. There was still a twinge of oddness to it for about the first week. Since then I've forgotten about it altogether.

Prostate Heaven

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Yeah, the lack of manual gear control is a BIG miss on Ford's part, especially for a truck. I would've loved to have sat in on that meeting when that decision was made. Pretty inexcusable, IMO. In my current pre-ownership phase, that is easily my biggest gripe.
This x1000

The (L) button will downshift, but IMO will send your engine revving way, way too high (usually 4-5k RPM) under most circumstances.

If my Mav had paddle shifters (or at least selectable gears) and intelligent access in the tailgate it would be basically perfect.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This x1000

The (L) button will downshift, but IMO will send your engine revving way, way too high (usually 4-5k RPM) under most circumstances.

If my Mav had paddle shifters (or at least selectable gears) and intelligent access in the tailgate it would be basically perfect.
The L feature is completely stupid IMO. Part of getting max FE out of any EB engine is the ability to manually control to OD gears. Part of why I could get 26+ from my 2.7 F150. When the EB lugs, the torque tables call for boost, and there goes the FE. In my F150 I would typically run 8th gear to 60, 9th to 70, and 10th above 70. Keeping a slightly higher rpm (target 1800-2200) at cruising speed kept the engine out of boost, and FE went up. Then of course there was towing and heavy loads, which made gear selection even more significant. Still completely puzzled by Fords omission of this on the Mav. It's basically just software & a button, very minimal cost. Hopefully they fix that at the MMC.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PITA. Can't shift by feel. The knob spins freely although it only lights the selection its in.. Wish knob would only turn between P D and not keep turning after the D or P lights come on
It does lock out for safety reasons, like when you’re parked it physically won’t let you rotate until your foot is on the brake. Clearly they put some thought and effort into it, since they could have let it rotate but just not change gears, but they implemented a software lockout. Yeah not sure why it doesn’t also lock out at the end of P or D.

Sponsored

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It does lock out for safety reasons, like when you’re parked it physically won’t let you rotate until your foot is on the brake. Clearly they put some thought and effort into it, since they could have let it rotate but just not change gears, but they implemented a software lockout. Yeah not sure why it doesn’t also lock out at the end of P or D.
I thought (still think I guess) not having hard stops at P and D was an odd decision, but I've already gotten used to it after a couple weeks. In a way it's kind of fun to just give the thing a whirl to the right as many clicks as you want to put it in drive, and the same the left to put it in park.

I made a couple minor mistakes the first day or two (put it in drive instead of park, that sort of thing - not really dangerous, because as soon as the car lurches forward unexpectedly, you automatically hit the brakes), but the dial very quickly became second nature