Sponsored

Has anyone lifted the the rubber strips on the cab roof?

Mcd from pgh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone checked to see if there are threaded holes beneath the rubber strips on the cab roof? I'm planning on making a bed rack to carry a 12 ft aluminum boat. If there are no threaded holes, I'll extend the rack over the cab. If there are threaded holes, I'm going to assume someone will have rails available by the time I get my truck.
Sponsored

Edogg1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep renegade desert hawk
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I asked this a bit ago and no one responded. Iā€™m not an auto body expert , I donā€™t want to take a chance and ruin the roof. Hoping someone can answer. Iā€™d much rather have a fastened rack than one held on by the door jamb brackets.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone checked to see if there are threaded holes beneath the rubber strips on the cab roof? I'm planning on making a bed rack to carry a 12 ft aluminum boat. If there are no threaded holes, I'll extend the rack over the cab. If there are threaded holes, I'm going to assume someone will have rails available by the time I get my truck.
I have no idea but do not expect drilled threaded holes. Perhaps a headliner installer could clue us in as what to expect. And where best to drill and how much room is probably available. I would not be adverse to cleaning paint off in groove and using epoxy but would be a real pain if had to grind out if ever needed to be done.

OP
OP

Mcd from pgh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Y. I can extend my bed rack over the cab but that would just make it more of a p.i.t.a. to remove it.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Y. I can extend my bed rack over the cab but that would just make it more of a p.i.t.a. to remove it.
Yes it would, the stresses on the box could be substantial as well.
The long overhang over the cab doesnā€™t have an offsetting long box to distribute the weight like a FS truck.
If you are just packing a light load then no matter, load it up though and it might not be good.
Iā€™m looking forward to how this plays out as Iā€™m considering doing the same thing when I get mine and the clamp on racks are not appealing to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mcd from pgh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The long overhang over the cab doesnā€™t have an offsetting long box to distribute the weight like a FS truck.
If you are just packing a light load then no matter, load it up though and it might not be good.
Iā€™m looking forward to how this plays out as Iā€™m considering doing the same thing when I get mine and the clamp on racks are not appealing to me.
One
One thought I had was to put some rubber feet under the overhang to add support.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
One thought I had was to put some rubber feet under the overhang to add support.
If someone doesnā€™t market a solution Iā€˜m thinking I will scour the wrecking yard for a vehicle with rails I can adapt. Considering they would distribute the load I think it would be a good solution. Unfortunately it would require drilling (hidden, use touch up paint) and rubber nut inserts but many manufacturers have used them for years with few issues.

Doc Steel

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Has anyone concidered useing "Rivnuts" in the groves to attach a rack? They are a very common nut used in a lot of items when you want a machine screw to tighen to thin metal that is to thin to tap.
Ford Maverick Has anyone lifted the the rubber strips on the cab roof? 1641352406791

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Has anyone concidered useing "Rivnuts" in the groves to attach a rack? They are a very common nut used in a lot of items when you want a machine screw to tighen to thin metal that is to thin to tap.
1641352406791.png
That could be a real pucker factor on many levels..
Sponsored