ituhata

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone else get an occasional condition where, when you're kind of coasting along and the truck decided to switch to all electric and you let off the gas and suddenly it will get stuck in this off-on deal where it sounds and kinda feels like a jackhammer or like you're speeding down a bad washboard road? Mine got stuck doing this for about 5 - 10 seconds.

I've noticed it before any recalls and I thought they fixed it with the recent 2 recalls I had done but today it did it twice quite violently.

Edit 4/13/23 ~ I've had 2 additional recalls performed by a ford tech a few weeks ago, and since then I think the problem is fixed. I can't even feel the engine kick off or on anymore, and while before it was always fairly imperceptible when operating normally, I could still tell when it was on or off.

I thought the 1st recall fixed it too, and it came back in a month so I was going to wait a few more weeks to update my post, but the way it feels now is different from then. Here's hoping this thread is done for good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Happens to me sometimes.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hasn't happened to me.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone else get an occasional condition where, when you're kind of coasting along and the truck decided to switch to all electric and you let off the gas and suddenly it will get stuck in this off-on deal where it sounds and kinda feels like a jackhammer or like you're speeding down a bad washboard road? Mine got stuck doing this for about 5 - 10 seconds.

I've noticed it before any recalls and I thought they fixed it with the recent 2 recalls I had done but today it did it twice quite violently.
Post a sound clip if you can.
Then I can tell you what it is or is not.

OP
OP
ituhata

ituhata

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Post a sound clip if you can.
Then I can tell you what it is or is not.
I'll see what I can do. To be honest, I went back to grab my dashcam recording to post, and I found where I audibly mentioned it but you cannot hear or see the vibrations through the dashcam. I guess it doesn't transmit through the glass, maybe just the steering wheel or dashboard. You can hear road noise through the cam but not the vibrations so I guess it was more in my head than anything or not as bad as I remember it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ituhata

ituhata

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is a clip where I mentioned it. I had to turn the volume way up but you can hear it shake and you can even see the camera wobble when it happens.

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not me, but if you can get it to do it take it in under warranty for sure that is not normal.

Sventinker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine does that periodically and the dealership can't find the problem because there are no codes and it doesn't do it for them. Happens when I am coming to a stop. then at a stop it just keeps switching back and forth and when it hits electric mode it tries to lunge forward through the brakes I am applying.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is a clip where I mentioned it. I had to turn the volume way up but you can hear it shake and you can even see the camera wobble when it happens.
Sorry. Cant hear anything other than your blinker. I even used earpods. I tried.

Sponsored

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I can't hear anything in your video either. But I do know that my hybrid had the occasional rattle at ICE shutoff before I had this TSB completed.

Based on how you are describing it, mine was not as dramatic as yours is. It might help to bring this up to your dealer.

FORD TSB #TSB 23-2248

OP
OP
ituhata

ituhata

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks to those who checked, I'm sorry the video wasn't good enough for you to hear. I've been driving around with my phone recording while sitting in the orange cubby in front of the gear shifter, but it hasn't happened again since. And that's mainly why I haven't or won't bother trying to take it to a dealer if I can't get it to do it consistently.

I went and checked, the two recalls I have are 23E09 and 23C41 and a ford tech came out to my house about a month ago and did all the programming updates for those. I haven't seen any recalls for anything else, I am assuming nothing more was done while he was here.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks to those who checked, I'm sorry the video wasn't good enough for you to hear. I've been driving around with my phone recording while sitting in the orange cubby in front of the gear shifter, but it hasn't happened again since. And that's mainly why I haven't or won't bother trying to take it to a dealer if I can't get it to do it consistently.

I went and checked, the two recalls I have are 23E09 and 23C41 and a ford tech came out to my house about a month ago and did all the programming updates for those. I haven't seen any recalls for anything else, I am assuming nothing more was done while he was here.

I'm sorry that you're having this issue. For me, the PCM flash eliminated all occurrences, so I'd first check that that was in fact completed.

Here's a YouTube video of a Prius repair (similar hybrid tech). Look around 1:30 for a demonstration of what the sound actually is.

That said, it shouldn't be doing that very often. What mode were you in at the time?

OP
OP
ituhata

ituhata

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm pretty sure every time it's happened to me I was in eco mode, usually coasting around 10-40 in traffic and I'm either letting off the gas or feathering the gas at the same time it wants to go into electric mode to cause it to get stuck doing this.

Most times its brief so I didnt think about it much, and it's happened about two to three dozen times since I got it last April. Once it happened I was able to hold the throttle at the position it was in when it started and it got stuck for what felt like a long time. I said 5-10 seconds in my OP but it was probably not as long as I remembered, probably 5 seconds max. Only about 4 or 5 times was it violent enough that I thought it might shake the engine loose or break a mount bolt or something.

I sent an email to my dealer to ask if they maybe did the TSB 23-2248 while they were out. If not, I'll see if they'll do it and see if that fixes the problem.

I'm not sure about that video if that's the sound, though it would kind of make more sense if it was. Then again for such a new vehicle I wouldn't think that was it. I'm as mechanically inclined as a rock but I feel like its a computer issue more than anything, and Im mostly concerned about the behavior causing real damage up the road.
Sponsored