Sponsored

FX4 WHEELS: Something isn’t right…

IndyMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Everything I’ve read suggests that the entire Maverick lineup will have 7” wide rims (17” or 18” diameter).

According to the major tire retailers, the maximum tire width for a 7” wide rim is 225… but according to Ford, the Maverick FX4 package includes 235 tires (and “unique” wheels).

I can’t find factory rim width specs anywhere in the Maverick owner’s manual or on Ford’s website. Either Ford plans to put an oversized tire on a 7” rim, or the OEM wheels that come with the FX4 package have a larger width than the other factory wheel options.

Anybody out there know the answer (and have a source for this info)?
Sponsored

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a difference between low and high profile tires. High profile tires can be oversized compared to the wheel. It offers some curb protection. If you look up the tire, the tire manufacturer should have specs listed on minimum and maximum wheel width for them.

OP
OP

IndyMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
There's a difference between low and high profile tires. High profile tires can be oversized compared to the wheel. It offers some curb protection. If you look up the tire, the tire manufacturer should have specs listed on minimum and maximum wheel width for them.
TireSize.com says the minimum rim width for a 235/65 R 17 tire is 7.5”… other online sources say the exact same thing.

If the OEM rims for the FX4 are only 7” wide, Ford is the only one who thinks this size is sufficient.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
TireSize.com says the minimum rim width for a 235/65 R 17 tire is 7.5”… other online sources say the exact same thing.

If the OEM rims for the FX4 are only 7” wide, Ford is the only one who thinks this size is sufficient.
35 10.5 20 can fit very well on a 9 inch wheel but no oem will recommend that either

Sponsored

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
Ford is not oversizing the tire in respect to the wheel width. The stock FX4 Pirelli 225 and optional 235 Falken are each perfectly fine on 7" wide wheels.

OP
OP

IndyMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Thanks to all. Appreciate the feedback and links.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not quite true… the 235 is optional on the black FX4 wheel on Lariat
The 235 is not optional on the FX4 wheels. Ask me how I know...

Ok, I'll tell you. 😋

I reserved the FX4 package with the 235s, then saw that they weren't mentioned on my build sheet.

The dealer can only add the 235s with the $795 wheel upgrade. The online configurator is STILL broken.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wish I could get the bigger instrument display and FX4 rims on my all wheel drive XLT don't go off-roading 😢

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Wish I could get the bigger instrument display and FX4 rims on my all wheel drive XLT don't go off-roading 😢
You think all those f-150s with that cute little sticker go off-roading? 😂

If you want the rims and bigger display get the package. It comes with some other things that will increase your drivetrains lifespan as well.

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These look like 235/65R17 Wildpeaks on black FX4 wheels to me. So you can get this combo, the catch is you also have to get the First Edition package ;)
1631987163180.png
That was a preproduction vehicle so it can have non offered combos. The order guide states this for the aggressive AT option. Note: Replaces 17” Unique Aluminum Wheels and A/T Tires on FX4 Off-Road Package (17S)
Note: Replaces Standard 17” Aluminum Wheel and A/S BSW Tires on 4K Tow Package (53Q)
Sponsored