Sponsored

Ford tonneau cover confusion: trifold vs. soft folding?

blu23

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Corvette, '13 Escape, '22 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure where I can find detailed information on these two bed covers, so I'm going to ask here. The "Build Your Maverick" Ford site lists a hard trifold tonneau cover and a soft folding tonneau cover, but no real details to explain what is actually included. Can anyone here enlighten me (and possibly others)? Thanks.
Sponsored

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure where I can find detailed information on these two bed covers, so I'm going to ask here. The "Build Your Maverick" Ford site lists a hard trifold tonneau cover and a soft folding tonneau cover, but no real details to explain what is actually included. Can anyone here enlighten me (and possibly others)? Thanks.
Take a look at Real Truck and see what the differences are. They have multiple pictures and an excellent installation video should you want to do it yourself (it's very easy).

They actually sell the brand name version of Ford's products and a lot cheaper. If you email Alex.Pendleton@ RealTruck.com and mention you are a MTC member you can get a decent discount to the listed prices as well.

Edit: I bought the Gator SFX Soft Trifold from Real Truck which equates to the Ford Advantage Soft Folding Trifold. The Gator doesn't have the Ford emblem but when I can save $300 then the Ford emblem is of little to no concern.

Last edited:

Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I honestly wouldn't buy the cover from Ford, you can get one of equal quality for more than half the price. I have a soft trifold I bought off Amazon and it cost me right at $200. It looks exactly like the ford one minus the ford logo.

OP
OP
blu23

blu23

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Okay, the reason I''m asking about the differences is that the truck I got last week came with a tonneau cover. It has a soft reinforced vinyl fabric cover over an aluminum frame. There are some sort of quick release clamps at the rear that snap into the frame for storage. Two hinged sections fold forward to rest on the front section and are secured with straps for traveling with the cover open. There are two more clamps at the forward end that I've not examined yet. Is what I have called the soft folding cover or the hard trifold cover? Maybe I need to dig out the window sticker and see if I can determine what I've actually got. Sorry for any confusion I may be causing.

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay, the reason I''m asking about the differences is that the truck I got last week came with a tonneau cover. It has a soft reinforced vinyl fabric cover over an aluminum frame. There are some sort of quick release clamps at the rear that snap into the frame for storage. Two hinged sections fold forward to rest on the front section and are secured with straps for traveling with the cover open. There are two more clamps at the forward end that I've not examined yet. Is what I have called the soft folding cover or the hard trifold cover? Maybe I need to dig out the window sticker and see if I can determine what I've actually got. Sorry for any confusion I may be causing.
Soft. Hard is not vinyl. They use fiberglass or aluminum panels.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blu23

blu23

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alright, thanks for helping me out. Like I said, the information on the Ford site was vague with no description of materials or construction.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine came from the factory and glad.
BAK and others have a great product but I’ve had one that was defective and a major pain to get a refund and a waste of my time installing, back and forth taking pictures and measurements and then had to cut it in tiny pieces to prove I destroyed it. Probably 10 hours my time to get a refund.
The factory one is on, works and warranty through ford
Sponsored