First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 eco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thought I would share as it was 30 min fix for around $60. My excitement after the topper was installed turned to annoyance pretty quickly when I opened the rear hatch for the first time to see it only open to a 90 degree which meant the hatch door was in my teeth. Completely useless for loading or unloading.

I ordered a new universal mount bracket and new 14" lift supports from amazon.

I started by drilling out the original lower bracket rivets. Then bolted up the new bracket and snapped on the new longer lift supports.

Hatch door now lifts significantly higher and I'm not bending over or banging my head on it.

Here's the bracket and lift supports:

Vepagoo 10MM Ball Stud Adjustable Curved Mounting Brackets, Mounting Kits for Gas Spring Struts Shock, 2Pcs Black : Amazon.ca: Automotive

KEMANI SX140P15 14 inch 15Lbs/67N Gas Spring Shocks Struts Lift Support for Truck Cap Camper Shell Topper Rear Windows Canopy Door Toolbox, Set of 2 : Amazon.ca: Automotive

Ford Maverick Fix for low rising hatch door on ARE toppers IMG_20240403_183830776

Ford Maverick Fix for low rising hatch door on ARE toppers IMG_20240409_092154589_HDR

Ford Maverick Fix for low rising hatch door on ARE toppers IMG_20240409_092141338_HDR
Sponsored

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB AWD BAP CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thought I would share as it was 30 min fix for around $60. My excitement after the topper was installed turned to annoyance pretty quickly when I opened the rear hatch for the first time to see it only open to a 90 degree which meant the hatch door was in my teeth. Completely useless for loading or unloading.

I ordered a new universal mount bracket and new 14" lift supports from amazon.

I started by drilling out the original lower bracket rivets. Then bolted up the new bracket and snapped on the new longer lift supports.

Hatch door now lifts significantly higher and I'm not bending over or banging my head on it.

Here's the bracket and lift supports:

Vepagoo 10MM Ball Stud Adjustable Curved Mounting Brackets, Mounting Kits for Gas Spring Struts Shock, 2Pcs Black : Amazon.ca: Automotive

KEMANI SX140P15 14 inch 15Lbs/67N Gas Spring Shocks Struts Lift Support for Truck Cap Camper Shell Topper Rear Windows Canopy Door Toolbox, Set of 2 : Amazon.ca: Automotive
I contacted my dealer to ask if they had a solution for where the rear door opened earlier this week. Then, I read your post. Your solution is brilliant. Thank you for posting! I am ordering the parts as soon as I am done writing this.

Note: The links @22MavLar provided are for Amazon-Canada. Copy the description and paste it into the search if you are using Amazon-US.

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice, that looks about where my MX opens to. Ours opens to right at 5'11" Just enough to hit my bald head. If it ever starts to sag I may look for a longer strut.
Ford Maverick Fix for low rising hatch door on ARE toppers IMG_20240317_070007_300

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB AWD BAP CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice, that looks about where my MX opens to. Ours opens to right at 5'11" Just enough to hit my bald head. If it ever starts to sag I may look for a longer strut.
I thought the MX opening was "just right."
Like the OP stated, the V doesn't open far enough or angle up like the MX.
Thus, this modification will significantly and practically change where the rear door opens. I will receive the same parts next week, and I plan on taking before and after pictures.
Sponsored