First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's the thought on Mishimoto Z-Line intercooler for a mod-list like what I'm chasing? Says it's ideal for RWHP up to 325 ... I don't think the setup I'm looking at would actually get that high, so this seems like a good place to start? AM tracks it as compatible with the 2022 2.3L Mustang, so I'd like to think it would be fairly compatible with the 2.0L, especially with aftermarket mods?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-intercooler-zb.html#customer_q_and_a
@Buschur sells a large FMIC. It’s even on one of the 12 seconds Mavs.
Sponsored

Fast Mavericks

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat Eco AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No one is discrediting Buschurs credibility or accomplishments. Nor the fact that he makes quality products for various platforms.

I bought his intercooler even though I originally planned on making a Focus one work. Having heard from several people that a lot of cutting was involved I chose the bolt on unit. The quality is top notch but the instructions were probably lost in the mail though Dave did text me a couple pictures. It’s a good thing I know how to turn a wrench because it’s a job especially without instructions.

Having known what I know now i would go with the DIY route like I’ve done with most of my parts. Being a 25 year sales vet I can tell you dealing with the public is not easy. Mix sales with the racing scene and it’s easy to develop a “Get off my lawn” attitude. Dave could easily turn his resources and attention to the Maverick full time and pull out a 10 second Maverick and shut us all up.

It’s a shame we can’t all pull the same direction like we do in our small Facebook group. We are all genuinely happy for each other as we are getting closer to having several 12 second Mavericks.

Both John’s and my truck were on the home page of this forum for quite some time and while it was cool, I didn’t do it to get validation or a pat on the back. We’re all big boys and know that 12s are SLOW these days. You can buy a Coyote, slap twins, fuel and tires and run 8s.

To complete my story, I’ll be the first to admit a dragy is not a time slip and iirc I posted “unofficial” for that same reason. It’s unfortunate tracks are closing more and more which leaves racers few options. People post their Performance data recorder times from their Vettes or Hellcats and don’t get flack. The dragy is an awesome device but much like a dyno, it’s a device to dial in your car for when you do make a drag pass.

Lastly, even if the dragy was off by half a second, Buschurs Maverick is still in 3rd place. I was all set for a track rental tomorrow but the rain postponed it til next Saturday. So I’ll either leave there with the official record or with my foot in mouth and tail between my legs. But none of that will change the fact that several of us, from Race shops to sloppy shade tree mechanics have proven the “you bought the wrong truck to go fast” crowd wrong.

I hope no one took any of this the wrong way. Just saying it like it is. 👍🏼

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No one is discrediting Buschurs credibility or accomplishments. Nor the fact that he makes quality products for various platforms.

I bought his intercooler even though I originally planned on making a Focus one work. Having heard from several people that a lot of cutting was involved I chose the bolt on unit. The quality is top notch but the instructions were probably lost in the mail though Dave did text me a couple pictures. It’s a good thing I know how to turn a wrench because it’s a job especially without instructions.

Having known what I know now i would go with the DIY route like I’ve done with most of my parts. Being a 25 year sales vet I can tell you dealing with the public is not easy. Mix sales with the racing scene and it’s easy to develop a “Get off my lawn” attitude. Dave could easily turn his resources and attention to the Maverick full time and pull out a 10 second Maverick and shut us all up.

It’s a shame we can’t all pull the same direction like we do in our small Facebook group. We are all genuinely happy for each other as we are getting closer to having several 12 second Mavericks.

Both John’s and my truck were on the home page of this forum for quite some time and while it was cool, I didn’t do it to get validation or a pat on the back. We’re all big boys and know that 12s are SLOW these days. You can buy a Coyote, slap twins, fuel and tires and run 8s.

To complete my story, I’ll be the first to admit a dragy is not a time slip and iirc I posted “unofficial” for that same reason. It’s unfortunate tracks are closing more and more which leaves racers few options. People post their Performance data recorder times from their Vettes or Hellcats and don’t get flack. The dragy is an awesome device but much like a dyno, it’s a device to dial in your car for when you do make a drag pass.

Lastly, even if the dragy was off by half a second, Buschurs Maverick is still in 3rd place. I was all set for a track rental tomorrow but the rain postponed it til next Saturday. So I’ll either leave there with the official record or with my foot in mouth and tail between my legs. But none of that will change the fact that several of us, from Race shops to sloppy shade tree mechanics have proven the “you bought the wrong truck to go fast” crowd wrong.

I hope no one took any of this the wrong way. Just saying it like it is. 👍🏼
Excellent points, but I’ll also add that the dragy has been accepted industry wide as accurate within under a tenth of a second.
I was also skeptical prior to purchasing one for test n tune and there are numerous reviews validating, including from DSport, the dragy’s accuracy.

OP
OP

Brady2705

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, 2.0L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Buschur sells a large FMIC. It’s even on one of the 12 seconds Mavs.
So I thought I read something that says if you buy an intercooler that exceeds your needs, it actually can be counterproductive. Any truth to that?

I hate bothering you all with these types of questions, as clearly you all are well past my intended goals in how you're modifying your Mavs.

Since I'm just looking to open up the fun in my daily drive, if I go with a CAI, Magnaflow CatBack, and a RaceChip piggyback tune, do I still need a new intercooler? If so, is the Mishimoto Z line sufficient for my needs, or is it worth it to go for something bigger/custom? I want to avoid over-doing it, as I'm not looking to max-out and start drag racing, and I don't think that setup would get me above the 325 wheel HO that the Mishimoto says it's designed to handle.

Thoughts?

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I thought I read something that says if you buy an intercooler that exceeds your needs, it actually can be counterproductive. Any truth to that?

I hate bothering you all with these types of questions, as clearly you all are well past my intended goals in how you're modifying your Mavs.

Since I'm just looking to open up the fun in my daily drive, if I go with a CAI, Magnaflow CatBack, and a RaceChip piggyback tune, do I still need a new intercooler? If so, is the Mishimoto Z line sufficient for my needs, or is it worth it to go for something bigger/custom? I want to avoid over-doing it, as I'm not looking to max-out and start drag racing, and I don't think that setup would get me above the 325 wheel HO that the Mishimoto says it's designed to handle.

Thoughts?
I’d personally go tune and FMIC first. I’d wait on the catback until you’re ready for a downpipe.
If you enjoy hearing turbo flutter get a short ram intake, otherwise get a sealed box.
Are you comfortable with fabrication? I highly doubt the FMIC will just bolt right in. If not, you’re likely better off spending more money on a unit that’s meant for the Maverick or at least a Focus.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Brady2705

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, 2.0L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d personally go tune and FMIC first. I’d wait on the catback until you’re ready for a downpipe.
If you enjoy hearing turbo flutter get a short ram intake, otherwise get a sealed box.
Are you comfortable with fabrication? I highly doubt the FMIC will just bolt right in. If not, you’re likely better off spending more money on a unit that’s meant for the Maverick or at least a Focus.
Haven't done custom-fabrication myself, I'm very accustomed to DIY household work (electric, plumming, framing, etc.), but haven't done anything automotive beyond basic-bolt-ons and some very simple electrical work. So point taken, I had assumed with FMIC there would be accessory kits for hosing/etc. that would make them plug/play with just about any model, but probably makes more sense to look for something specifically manufactured for Maverick/Escape/Bronco.

Thanks for the advice!

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haven't done custom-fabrication myself, I'm very accustomed to DIY household work (electric, plumming, framing, etc.), but haven't done anything automotive beyond basic-bolt-ons and some very simple electrical work. So point taken, I had assumed with FMIC there would be accessory kits for hosing/etc. that would make them plug/play with just about any model, but probably makes more sense to look for something specifically manufactured for Maverick/Escape/Bronco.

Thanks for the advice!
John, @Dueces , might be able to provide you more feedback on what’s required to retrofit a Focus FMIC as he’s currently running an RS unit.

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So you guys running "12's" understand something, I hadn't seen your Draggy times, I come here to make posts about what we are doing and when I get a notification to answer something. I haven't called anyone of you "hacks" or whatever you guys are referring to yourselves as building your own parts. Be proud of what you've built, I truly don't care but like see home built projects, hell I'm a home built guy, just turned it into a business.

I also don't count Draggy times, I own one, use it for data logging but beyond that, if it's not a slip from a track, I personally don't care.

Good job on your trucks!

Fast Mavericks

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat Eco AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A few years ago I had 3 Dragstrips within a 1 hour radius of my location. LACR was infamously shitty and the elevation there humbled lot people, but it was a track. For a good while I’d go at least 4 times a month. Wednesday and Friday night Test and Tunes for $15 was better than dinner and a movie. I was there for the last event before they tore down.

They close down tracks and wonder why people street race. I don’t street race like I did 20 years ago but I will do a couple dragy runs after going up and down the road and waiting til it’s safe. I agree 100%, the time slip is and always has been the standard. Not just one Hail Mary run either, you have to back it up.

Hopefully the weather cooperates this Saturday and the track rental happens. Might even have some good DA.
Sponsored