First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat FX4 w/4k Tow Build Date 12/5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is 1/2 db? I mean, 3 db is plus or minus 1/2 the sound. (Every 3 decibels up or down increases or decreases audible sound by two.)? How do you measure .5 DB, or is it subjective?
dB is a unit of relative power. For sound, 3dB the most common mentioned level because it is considered the lowest perceivable sound change to most human ears. No one is picking up 0.5 dB levels.
+/-3dB also happens to be the level at which power is change by a factor of 2, not sound.
Sponsored

Mervin the Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2019 Hyunda1 Kona, 2002 Chevy S10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
dB is a unit of relative power. For sound, 3dB the most common mentioned level because it is considered the lowest perceivable sound change to most human ears. No one is picking up 0.5 dB levels.
+/-3dB also happens to be the level at which power is change by a factor of 2, not sound.
dec·i·bel
https://www.google.com/search?clien...2ahUKEwiV4IDdzueEAxWVDEQIHTMMD1gQ3eEDegQIHxAl
noun
  1. a unit used to measure the intensity of a sound or the power level of an electrical signal by comparing it with a given level on a logarithmic scale.

So, it is a measurement of sound, in this case, as we are not talking about an electrical signal that carries information.

Mervin the Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
dec·i·bel
https://www.google.com/search?clien...2ahUKEwiV4IDdzueEAxWVDEQIHTMMD1gQ3eEDegQIHxAl
noun
  1. a unit used to measure the intensity of a sound or the power level of an electrical signal by comparing it with a given level on a logarithmic scale.

So, it is a measurement of sound, in this case, as we are not talking about an electrical signal that carries information.
“The lowest hearing decibel level is 0 dB, which indicates nearly total silence and is the softest sound that the human ear can hear. Generally speaking, the louder the sound, the higher the decibel number.”

So, from zero dB, 3dB is twice the volume.

AlsMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat FX4 w/4k Tow Build Date 12/5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
dec·i·bel
noun

It basically says what I said. A dB is used to linearize, for mathematical purposes, the nonlinear nature of power. And I refute the very specific use of the words "electric signal" suggesting that information needs to be present. A dB is used for POWER of all types period.
I'm degreed Engineer. I understand it beyond the simplistic explanation found in you google search.

Sponsored

Mervin the Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
“The lowest hearing decibel level is 0 dB, which indicates nearly total silence and is the softest sound that the human ear can hear. Generally speaking, the louder the sound, the higher the decibel number.”

So, from zero dB, 3dB is twice the volume.
just a trivia point:

As a long-haul communications engineer, we were able to receive and in-encrypt intelligent communications from 22,500 miles away at -152dB, which is theoretically a point where no sound can exist.

Mervin the Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It basically says what I said. A dB is used to linearize, for mathematical purposes, the nonlinear nature of power. And I refute the very specific use of the words "electric signal" suggesting that information needs to be present. A dB is used for POWER of all types period.
I'm degreed Engineer. I understand it beyond the simplistic explanation found in you google search.
And, I engineered communication systems for 40-years. You cannot measure an engine output in dB unless you are talking about sound, and by definition, a decibel is measured logarithmically, not linear as you proclaim.

Mervin the Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And, I engineered communication systems for 40-years. You cannot measure an engine output in dB unless you are talking about sound, and by definition, a decibel is measured logarithmically, not linear as you proclaim.
A decibel is not “linear”. Even the name of the measurement will tell you it is a bell-shaped logarithmic curve.
Sponsored