willyboy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
several
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
$3.81 gallon here in Seattle. I have changed my order 4 times already. Part of me says get the AWD and the other says, if gas keeps going up you will be glad you got the hybrid. We put ~7,000 miles a year.
7000mi/26mpg x $3.81/gal = $1025.76/ year 7000mi/40mpg x $3.81/gal = $666.75 $1025.76-$666.75 = $359.01 per year savings. ReallY? Thats a difference of $29.91 per month. In Seattle 2 hours at minumum wage is more than that.
None of this addresses the predicted shortage of heavy metals required for EV batteries. It will be interesting to see how that affects hybrid costs of production going forward.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MarkG

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
The Hybrid Maverick, which gets 40 mpg is shaped exactly like the Maverick with Ecoboost.....
You are exactly right. There is a way to make a pickup more fuel efficient and Ford was thoughtful enough to offer it as standard equipment.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Had a 09Kia OPtima with the 2.4 and 190hp not sure of the weight and too lazy to look...But the power wasn't bad and it could get out of it's own way.... If the Hybrid is like this..The Power is fine not a rocket but not bad and I'd be plenty happy

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford conceived this vehicle to deliver on the following 3 characteristics: affordability, fuel economy, practicality. It is just that these qualities are ranked differently between the 2.0 and the hybrid. For me for example:

Hybrid:
  1. affordability
  2. fuel economy
  3. practicality

2.0:
  1. practicality
  2. affordability
  3. fuel economy

these are both great vehicles

Last edited:

Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
These slip and grip AWD systems barely existed a decade ago and now people act like the canā€™t possibly drive through a dusting of snow without them. its hilarious.
Aren't you the guy that told me you wouldn't buy a vehicle without the more advanced safety features you got from copilot 360 on the lariat? šŸ˜‚

I mean I agree with you, you can totally drive in the snow in a car without AWD. It's more dangerous, but you can do it.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
7000mi/26mpg x $3.81/gal = $1025.76/ year 7000mi/40mpg x $3.81/gal = $666.75 $1025.76-$666.75 = $359.01 per year savings. ReallY? Thats a difference of $29.91 per month. In Seattle 2 hours at minumum wage is more than that.
None of this addresses the predicted shortage of heavy metals required for EV batteries. It will be interesting to see how that affects hybrid costs of production going forward.
To make it even closer, that 40mpg is the claimed city mileage. Average mileage on the Hybrid is 37.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sorry and I'll draw all kinds of hate from this, but you could hold a gun to my head and I'd still tell you a pickup truck (OR SUV) should not be FWD only.
Interesting tomb stone engraving "VEZPA - died the way he lived, hating on FWD."

At least half of pickup trucks are 2WD, and it really doesn't make a big difference if its RWD or FWD when you're under 200hp with decent 225mm tires. The only big difference would be torque steer, which has been engineered around for reasonable power levels, and FWD might actually provide more traction in many cases at low speed since it has more weight over the tires than an empty bed.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
Aren't you the guy that told me you wouldn't buy a vehicle without the more advanced safety features you got from copilot 360 on the lariat? šŸ˜‚
Nope. Iā€™m buying the lariat for adaptive cruise and lane centering. It has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with wanting something resembling self driving for my 50 miles a day of highway travel and four hour long drives to my cabin. I could care less about blind spot monitoring and cross traffic alert and the ā€œsafetyā€ they provide (which is none imo). I drove a RWD bmw for ten years through Michigan winters without issues but people now act like not having AWD that kicks in for less than 1% of your driving time on a FWD vehicle is a matter of life and death. Itā€™s comical.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To make it even closer, that 40mpg is the claimed city mileage. Average mileage on the Hybrid is 37.
Yeah, I'm a little confused by the numbers too, 40mpg is supposedly the city fuel economy, but then you'd actually compare that to 21mpg which is the city fuel economy of a Ecoboost Bronco Sport. Combined would be 37 for the hybrid, but more likely 23 for the Ecoboost just like on the BS.

Another factor is that the hybrid has recommended 87 octane for peak performance, whereas Ford lists 91+ octane for the Ecoboost, which changes the effective MPG down 15% or so comparing $ to $. Average mileage is also typically calculated at 12K miles per year as an industry norm.

So the calculation should be:
12000mi/23mpg x $3.81/gal = $1988/ year
12000mi/37mpg x $3.51/gal = $1137/year
$1988-$1137 = $851 per year savings.

Average vehicle age on the road today is 11.9 years (my Ram is currently 12 years old and looking to replace soon, so is spot on), so lifetime savings would be $10,127 saved over the lifetime of the vehicle going hybrid, assuming all else equal. But there are other savings, because the atkinson cycle engine is not likely to have any carbon buildup issues, whereas the direct-injection only ecoboost likely will by 60K miles. In my experience, my turbocharged vehicles are also harder on engine oil than non-turbocharged, and oil quality matters more for the health of the turbo bearing to avoid heat soak and carbon buildup on the bearing housing and turbocharged engines are more prone to blowby than naturally aspirated. So if I had to put my money down I'd wager that a Prius like hybrid Maverick would be more likely to hit 200K miles cheaper than the Ecoboost.

If you're pinching pennies, the hybrid is the no brainer. But the ecoboost will be more sporty, fun, sounds smoother and better under load, and can tow more when properly equipped. Different strokes.

Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I'm a little confused by the numbers too, 40mpg is supposedly the city fuel economy, but then you'd actually compare that to 21mpg which is the city fuel economy of a Ecoboost Bronco Sport. Combined would be 37 for the hybrid, but more likely 23 for the Ecoboost just like on the BS.

Another factor is that the hybrid has recommended 87 octane for peak performance, whereas Ford lists 91+ octane for the Ecoboost, which changes the effective MPG down 15% or so comparing $ to $. Average mileage is also typically calculated at 12K miles per year as an industry norm.

So the calculation should be:
12000mi/23mpg x $3.81/gal = $1988/ year
12000mi/37mpg x $3.51/gal = $1137/year
$1988-$1137 = $851 per year savings.

Average vehicle age on the road today is 11.9 years (my Ram is currently 12 years old and looking to replace soon, so is spot on), so lifetime savings would be $10,127 saved over the lifetime of the vehicle going hybrid, assuming all else equal. But there are other savings, because the atkinson cycle engine is not likely to have any carbon buildup issues, whereas the direct-injection only ecoboost likely will by 60K miles. In my experience, my turbocharged vehicles are also harder on engine oil than non-turbocharged, and oil quality matters more for the health of the turbo bearing to avoid heat soak and carbon buildup on the bearing housing and turbocharged engines are more prone to blowby than naturally aspirated. So if I had to put my money down I'd wager that a Prius like hybrid Maverick would be more likely to hit 200K miles cheaper than the Ecoboost.

If you're pinching pennies, the hybrid is the no brainer. But the ecoboost will be more sporty, fun, sounds smoother and better under load, and can tow more when properly equipped. Different strokes.
Wherever those fuel prices are from, they need to move. I paid $2.52 for 87 yesterday LOL

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wherever those fuel prices are from, they need to move. I paid $2.52 for 87 yesterday LOL
we just had a price drop this week- down to $3.31/gal :cool: Gas prices traditionally are volatile due to natural and manipulated circumstances and global speculation regarding supply/futures. As a retired person there are many days I don't drive at all, but when I do it's maybe 8 miles per day to go across town and back. Today's gasoline starts breaking down after about 2 weeks, so I probably have more stale gas in our vehicles than fresh :unsure:

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
we just had a price drop this week- down to $3.31/gal :cool: Gas prices traditionally are volatile due to natural and manipulated circumstances and global speculation regarding supply/futures. As a retired person there are many days I don't drive at all, but when I do it's maybe 8 miles per day to go across town and back. Today's gasoline starts breaking down after about 2 weeks, so I probably have more stale gas in our vehicles than fresh :unsure:
People take the gas situation for granted here in South Louisiana where what feels like 50% of people work in the oil and gas industry. Consistently the cheapest gas in the country and ethanol free!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These slip and grip AWD systems barely existed a decade ago and now people act like the canā€™t possibly drive through a dusting of snow without them. its hilarious.
Subaru might disagree with you. The Audi Quattro was quite popular with the ski crowd decades ago. Not sure what AWD system they used.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Wanted AWD and something that was still a little peppy around town. I am tired of driving my gutless 2019 Tacoma and having to wind it out just to keep up with the flow of traffic. It is such a dog, along with it's borderline Lemon Law status with all it's issues, but that's another discussion. In comes a 2.0T AWD compact truck. Sign me up. If Hybrid w/ AWD option was available for MY2022, I would have considered.

I could care less what others think. I also could have went with FWD only, but I wanted AWD this time around. Nobody sold me on it and Ford marketing surely didn't sell me on it,... I sold me on it as a want, not a need. With that said, I never had an issue with my Honda w/ dedicated snow tires here in NY state. It was a beast in the snow before I retired it from Winter duty.
Sponsored

Last edited: