First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
9 months into ownership of my Maverick and really starting to wonder if anyone else has figured out a way to remedy the front height of the drivers seat cushion. I’m 5’11” and have been told I’ve got longer legs than average and that seat edge still presses hard into the backside of my thighs. I’ve slid up closer to the dash to eliminate having to stretch out but after 9 months it’s really starting to get old. Thank god for cruise control which allows me to pull my feet back close to the seat and somewhat lessen the pressure.

Has anyone successfully switched out the drivers seat? Or maybe thrown some plywood down on the floor to raise the floor height?
I had a similar problem with a Mazda Tribute and I just put large washers under the seat brackets on the bolts
Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
9 months into ownership of my Maverick and really starting to wonder if anyone else has figured out a way to remedy the front height of the drivers seat cushion. I’m 5’11” and have been told I’ve got longer legs than average and that seat edge still presses hard into the backside of my thighs. I’ve slid up closer to the dash to eliminate having to stretch out but after 9 months it’s really starting to get old. Thank god for cruise control which allows me to pull my feet back close to the seat and somewhat lessen the pressure.

Has anyone successfully switched out the drivers seat? Or maybe thrown some plywood down on the floor to raise the floor height?
Considering that you have long legs this should only happen to people with short legs and long torso. I have normal legs if there is such a thing and I have no thigh rubbing.

OP
OP
Mavidiesel

Mavidiesel

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Considering that you have long legs this should only happen to people with short legs and long torso. I have normal legs if there is such a thing and I have no thigh rubbing.
I have long legs and short torso and I guess I’m just used to sedan and suvs seats where the seat cushion is practically down on the floor and legs are up. Still feels like these maverick seats were designed with a long distance between edge of seat and floorpan. That or maybe they want you to think your in an F-150 where lowering the seat cushion to its lowest position would be too low and uncomfortable.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are two main types of power seat designs (and many variants). The Maverick got the cheap solution (duh) on my XLT LUX. It uses fewer motors, with poor control over the various directions of movement. Watch your seat and you'll see that trying to raise the seats affects other axes (axis plural) of movement.

Lots of folks here absolutely LOVE their Maverick seats. I personally dislike mine, which are significantly inferior in fit and finish and comfort compared to the cheap manual seats in my ancient Ranger. My 2010 Ranger had much better fabric, cushioning, and ergonomic design.

One spot of praise I will offer - pretty decent inflatable lumbar, even though it doesn't have a vertical adjustment. One thing to consider when uncomfortable in the seats - remember that the steering column is adjustable.

I'm hoping the seats grow on me. My first day with the Maverick, I was really disappointed with it. But it's very slowly growing with me as I get used to its strengths and weaknesses and just adjust my expectations.

Sponsored

MaveryRider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
34" inseam. had the same issue on the wife's 2020 Escape w/ power seats. raised the seat up higher than normal which tilted the seat bottom front edge down a bit but enough to take that thigh pressure off. There's a good bit of head room to play with
The problem I’m having with this is when you raise the seat bottom higher than normal, the front edge tilts even higher. It’s the angle of the seat. It’s really

I’m having the exact same problem. I’m 5’5” and the front edge of the seat is so high and so firm that it raises knee up and cuts off my circulation. When I lower the seat it’s so darn low that I feel like I’m barely able to peek over the hood, but that’s not the worst of it because when I lower it to a level where my knees not being cut off, I have to move the seat exceptionally forward to the point where I’m smushed too close to the steering wheel so that I can reach the accelerator.. And then the brake pedal is way too close to me and my leg is exceptionally bent…it’s very uncomfortable to drive. And oddly, even when the seat is lowered, the front edge raises as you move the seat toward the pedals. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve had a Ford F150 doer crew lariat and I’ve also had a Ford ranger; I never had this issue with either of my trucks. I’m almost feeling like I need to cut out some of the foam in the front? That would look atrocious and I don’t know if I could be successful in doing it, but I’m about ready to take that drastic of a measure.

The back base of the seat is much too low; it needs to raised or at least be able to pivot upwards so that the front can pivot downward. I’ve gotten under the seat and I noticed a couple of brackets on either side that attach the seat to the rails. Maybe if we could get our hands on smaller brackets in the front, that could lower the front? Using the aluminum blocks that someone else mentions here would only serve to lift the front higher. Even if you lifted the back, the front edge would lift even further upwards. We need to find a way to pivot the seat so that the front edge goes down further..

Maybe see if i can find someone who has a CNC or plasma cutter to help me cut shorter replacement brackets because it’s becoming a real problem for me, it’s actually very painful and dangerous to drive with the seat like this. I thought about putting a cushion underneath the very back to raise the back up but that’s such an insane fix for this issue and that’s not really a good solution. There has to be a better way to take care of this issue. I can’t believe that they made this mistake. I’m also surprised more people aren’t complaining about it because it’s pretty significant.

MaveryRider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm 6'2" and also have never sat in one before ordering, But I did watch numerous videos about the interior. All of them stating that the taller guys will fit into it. However, seating is one of the most important factors for me in vehicles and that's one of the main reason I ordered a Lariat. It has 8 way adjustable seats standard. I figure the extra 2 ways to move the seat will help in finding the perfect position. Here's to hoping.
I don’t expect you’ll have any problem with it. It’s people that are shorter that are really having this issue. I am 5’5” with a 31” inseam and I’m having a horrible time with it. :(

MaveryRider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bought my wife a BMW 328 about 6 years ago. She needed the seat raised as the adjustment range wasn't enough for her. I cut some aluminum block into sections, ordered the appropriate size metric 10.9 bolts from McMaster-Carr and easily raised the seat 1 ½". Sold the car 6 months later, still have the aluminum blocks.
Are you talking about something similar like these?

https://desertdoesit.com/products/2...a-1-1-4-front-seat-spacer-lifts-front-of-seat

The issue isn’t raising that the seat needs to be raised. The issue is the front edge of the seat is too high and needs to be lowered. If we add blocks like these in the bsck, yes, it will raise the back, but it will also it will also raise the front edge of the seat higher. We need to find a way to pivot the seat so that the back raises and front edge lowers, alleviating the front edge from pressing so much up against the underside of the knee. It’s difficult to explain, but it’s incredibly uncomfortable to experience over long periods of driving. Like the OP here, I can manage small drives, but long drives are a problem.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The problem I’m having with this is when you raise the seat bottom higher than normal, the front edge tilts even higher. It’s the angle of the seat. It’s really

I’m having the exact same problem. I’m 5’5” and the front edge of the seat is so high and so firm that it raises knee up and cuts off my circulation. When I lower the seat it’s so darn low that I feel like I’m barely able to peek over the hood, but that’s not the worst of it because when I lower it to a level where my knees not being cut off, I have to move the seat exceptionally forward to the point where I’m smushed too close to the steering wheel so that I can reach the accelerator.. And then the brake pedal is way too close to me and my leg is exceptionally bent…it’s very uncomfortable to drive. And oddly, even when the seat is lowered, the front edge raises as you move the seat toward the pedals. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve had a Ford F150 doer crew lariat and I’ve also had a Ford ranger; I never had this issue with either of my trucks. I’m almost feeling like I need to cut out some of the foam in the front? That would look atrocious and I don’t know if I could be successful in doing it, but I’m about ready to take that drastic of a measure.

The back base of the seat is much too low; it needs to raised or at least be able to pivot upwards so that the front can pivot downward. I’ve gotten under the seat and I noticed a couple of brackets on either side that attach the seat to the rails. Maybe if we could get our hands on smaller brackets in the front, that could lower the front? Using the aluminum blocks that someone else mentions here would only serve to lift the front higher. Even if you lifted the back, the front edge would lift even further upwards. We need to find a way to pivot the seat so that the front edge goes down further..

Maybe see if i can find someone who has a CNC or plasma cutter to help me cut shorter replacement brackets because it’s becoming a real problem for me, it’s actually very painful and dangerous to drive with the seat like this. I thought about putting a cushion underneath the very back to raise the back up but that’s such an insane fix for this issue and that’s not really a good solution. There has to be a better way to take care of this issue. I can’t believe that they made this mistake. I’m also surprised more people aren’t complaining about it because it’s pretty significant.

I'd suggest a trip to your local upholsterer in your case. They can shave foam off of the seat, or design a foam cushion that would be to your liking

Sponsored

MaveryRider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s the idea but you can’t actually lower the whole seat in the maverick. Mines fully lowered and the front stays high because it was built with a hinge on the front rather than the ability to fully lower the seat. I think these guys are into something about raising the back a little so the front of seat which extends beyond the hinge will lower a little.
This. You completely understand. I have tried every configuration with the power seats, and nothing works. I now have mine completely lower like you do, and the front still stays uncomfortably high. I keep wondering if those hinges, or brackets that attach the seat ( front) to the rails would benefit by being shorter? Ugh 😣 So poorly designed.

MaveryRider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd suggest a trip to your local upholsterer in your case. They can shave foam off of the seat, or design a foam cushion that would be to your liking
I think this is what I’m going to have to do. I keep thinking, if there’s a way I can shave the excess foam down, but then there will be some gapping in the material. That’s where an upholsterer’s Help is going to need to come in…

OP
OP
Mavidiesel

Mavidiesel

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Been a month now , I think, since I raised the seat up little, moved it forward a hair and tilted the steering wheel up a touch and I’m finally pain free. I still agree with you though it would really be ideal to replace the seat frame with one that lifts the front and rear with the ratchet pump. It could use the ability to lower the front of the seat cushion and even though it’s an affordable truck the driver’s seat is an area where costs shouldn’t be cut.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think this is what I’m going to have to do. I keep thinking, if there’s a way I can shave the excess foam down, but then there will be some gapping in the material. That’s where an upholsterer’s Help is going to need to come in…
You can use an electric bread knife and/or file to shave foam. Then move the seat material clips to tighten up the seat material. The procedure is called a "foamectomy" and happens in the Miata world all the time to increase headroom in the Miata. In those cases, all the foam is shaved, in your case, you might be better off going to the upholsterer. If your budget allows, buy a Mav seat from a junkyard, this way you can still drive the Mav while the upholsterer customizes the seat to your liking

OP
OP
Mavidiesel

Mavidiesel

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can use an electric bread knife and/or file to shave foam. Then move the seat material clips to tighten up the seat material. The procedure is called a "foamectomy" and happens in the Miata world all the time to increase headroom in the Miata. In those cases, all the foam is shaved, in your case, you might be better off going to the upholsterer. If your budget allows, buy a Mav seat from a junkyard, this way you can still drive the Mav while the upholsterer customizes the seat to your liking
I believe there’s a few fords you can use the seat from too if your looking at a junk yard. Escape, bronco sport, one of the Lincoln’s.
Sponsored