First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a little tongue in cheek. A guy called in asking if he was in good enough financial situation to buy a new truck. Dave recommended he not buy the truck, but also said it's not going to destroy him financially to do it, but that it's just not optimal.
Maybe we should all agree to do an Alice's Restaurant, and take turns calling in every day asking if we can buy a Maverick. :LOL:

Ask Dave: Can I buy a Maverick?
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hate HATE HATE hate hate HATE Dave Ramsey. I encourage those who enjoy him to do some research on his past. I can tell anyone buying stuff is stupid and eat beans and rice for years. Lol šŸ˜‚ great advice

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I hate HATE HATE hate hate HATE Dave Ramsey. I encourage those who enjoy him to do some research on his past. I can tell anyone buying stuff is stupid and eat beans and rice for years. Lol šŸ˜‚ great advice
Easy Spartacus, Dave Ramsey isnā€™t realā€¦. Some one plays him on the radio.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can tell anyone buying stuff is stupid and eat beans and rice for years. Lol šŸ˜‚ great advice
Anyone thinking this is an exaggeration? Nope! That guy will never recommend anyone buy a new vehicle. I am jealous though that he can get rich repeating the same thing over and over.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone thinking this is an exaggeration? Nope! That guy will never recommend anyone buy a new vehicle. I am jealous though that he can get rich repeating the same thing over and over.
I am jealous too that he gets rich selling garbage šŸ—‘ that people eat up over and over again. But more importantly he sells the idea debt is bad and that pisses me off. Limiting people from debt is crippling in our economy. The idea to pay things off in cash is great but investing in one self often takes a lot of debt.

Last edited:

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I know a few people that never ever buy new cars, they buy fairly new and save a ton of moneyā€¦ honestly Iā€™ve looked at them and every one of them looked brand new, except for the mileage.

Pelster94

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I mean what he does definitely isn't for everyone, but its not like the man is exploiting people. He helps financially illiterate people make a plan to get out of debt. I don't see why that makes you hate him, but you do you I guess.

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mean what he does definitely isn't for everyone, but its not like the man is exploiting people. He helps financially illiterate people make a plan to get out of debt. I don't see why that makes you hate him, but you do you I guess.
He helps financial illiterate people fear debt. Debt is a tool if used appropriately will unlock capitol gains (wealth growth). He plays on peoples ignorance and makes debt they enemy.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Agreed although I know nothing of his past, in my opinion his advice is great if you've got extra money laying around and live pretty comfortably OR if you're one of those types that makes $100k but buys a new house, two new cars, and has a kid on the way.

As a 17 year old with no credit the advice was terrible. I ran into financial emergencies in my early 20s but with no credit to help keep me afloat I just drowned. Without going into too many details I can just say that now I've learned a lot about finances and Dave Ramsay gives the advice of a rich man who forgot how they got rich or got lucky. Nobody who's good with money is going to tell you that financing is a bad idea, buying everything in cash is actually a terrible idea for a number of reasons but that's Dave Ramsay 101.

I like that he gets people excited about reforming their finances, I just wish he'd give a bit better advice for those without existing debt.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed although I know nothing of his past, in my opinion his advice is great if you've got extra money laying around and live pretty comfortably OR if you're one of those types that makes $100k but buys a new house, two new cars, and has a kid on the way.

As a 17 year old with no credit the advice was terrible. I ran into financial emergencies in my early 20s but with no credit to help keep me afloat I just drowned. Without going into too many details I can just say that now I've learned a lot about finances and Dave Ramsay gives the advice of a rich man who forgot how they got rich or got lucky. Nobody who's good with money is going to tell you that financing is a bad idea, buying everything in cash is actually a terrible idea for a number of reasons but that's Dave Ramsay 101.

I like that he gets people excited about reforming their finances, I just wish he'd give a bit better advice for those without existing debt.
His advice for existing debt isnā€™t even great. Iā€™ve been tossing the idea of making a YouTube channel for years, I should do it.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know a few people that never ever buy new cars, they buy fairly new and save a ton of moneyā€¦ honestly Iā€™ve looked at them and every one of them looked brand new, except for the mileage.
Yup, certainly an option. I've typically purchased used, but there's always a risk about why they are selling. You're much more likely to get a problem vehicle that is sold used 1 year old than new, since anyone with a lemon that doesn't want to deal with lemon law might just sell it instead. Always makes me nervous in Houston after a major flood to shop used, as you know they just fix it up and never report that stuff.

With the Maverick in this weird sellers market, you may also pay MORE for a used model than one you ordered, and who knows how many stranger's farts were infused into that seat cushion before you got it.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
His advice for existing debt isnā€™t even great. Iā€™ve been tossing the idea of making a YouTube channel for years, I should do it.
Do it but I better see some index funds in your advice!

Dave Ramsey reminds me of like AA for debtors
Sponsored