Sponsored

Dark color truck owners: Door dings and such?

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So I am just torn between a Cactus Gray and the Hot Pepper Red - love the red, but this will be the last vehicle I plan to buy, and I need it to look good for a long time, and the red concerns me in terms of how much it may showcase door dings and such, as opposed to the lighter color that tends to hide them pretty well. Any of you with the darker colors want to chime in? I've owned a red truck before, but it's been a decade or more, I don't really remember if it was particularly easy to spot the dings.
Sponsored

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
So I am just torn between a Cactus Gray and the Hot Pepper Red - love the red, but this will be the last vehicle I plan to buy, and I need it to look good for a long time, and the red concerns me in terms of how much it may showcase door dings and such, as opposed to the lighter color that tends to hide them pretty well. Any of you with the darker colors want to chime in? I've owned a red truck before, but it's been a decade or more, I don't really remember if it was particularly easy to spot the dings.
That's why we paid extra money for paint jobs, so we can see where the dings are located. :)

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doesn’t matter what color it is, if I get a door ding it’s going to stand out like a sore thumb. Some are able to be pop’d out by a paintless dent removal process.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Believe it or not, I don't have a single door ding yet on my 2018 Escape (KNOCK ON WOOD). You have to strategically park as much as possible. Here's a few things I do:

1) Don't park near the front doors of any business. I go to Walmart's, Targets, etc, I park far out in the parking lot.

2) Don't park in the space behind a Minivan, SUV, or anything with a lift gate. Chance are when the shopper comes out they will be putting the cart behind thier vehicle (and in front of yours) when they are loading thier stuff.

3) I try not to park next to any vehicle if I can avoid it. I try to find a spot that has an empty spot on either side. The exception to this is if it's a nice car like a BMW or similar more expensive car. Chances are the owner is going to be careful not to damage THIER car by hitting yours with thier door.

4) If I'm parking on a side ways slope and have to park next to a car, I make sure to park on his passenger side. If I park on his drivers side, he might not catch his door as it opens by itself on the downward slope and it slams into my passenger door.

5) I try not to park kitty corner to a car in a space in front of me. In other wards if I pull into a spot and the spot to either side of me is empty, but there is another car in the next row facing me kitty corner to me, I know he will probably not back out of his spot, but driver forward through the empty spot on one side or the other of me and could possibly hit the side of my car.

6) When I go to a shopping center I look around for empty carts left by lazy people in the parking lot. Even if the cart is 2 rows over I look to see if it's on a slope and could come rolling into my car, especially if it's windy out.

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Believe it or not, I don't have a single door ding yet on my 2018 Escape (KNOCK ON WOOD). You have to strategically park as much as possible. Here's a few things I do:

1) Don't park near the front doors of any business. I go to Walmart's, Targets, etc, I park far out in the parking lot.

2) Don't park in the space behind a Minivan, SUV, or anything with a lift gate. Chance are when the shopper comes out they will be putting the cart behind thier vehicle (and in front of yours) when they are loading thier stuff.

3) I try not to park next to any vehicle if I can avoid it. I try to find a spot that has an empty spot on either side. The exception to this is if it's a nice car like a BMW or similar more expensive car. Chances are the owner is going to be careful not to damage THIER car by hitting yours with thier door.

4) If I'm parking on a side ways slope and have to park next to a car, I make sure to park on his passenger side. If I park on his drivers side, he might not catch his door as it opens by itself on the downward slope and it slams into my passenger door.

5) I try not to park kitty corner to a car in a space in front of me. In other wards if I pull into a spot and the spot to either side of me is empty, but there is another car in the next row facing me kitty corner to me, I know he will probably not back out of his spot, but driver forward through the empty spot on one side or the other of me and could possibly hit the side of my car.

6) When I go to a shopping center I look around for empty carts left by lazy people in the parking lot. Even if the cart is 2 rows over I look to see if it's on a slope and could come rolling into my car, especially if it's windy out.
You sound just like me.
Sponsored