First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The range of expectations is intriguing. So I’m wondering what vehicle y’all are looking to replace with the Maverick and why?

I currently drive a 2010 Toyota Matrix. I bought it while expecting my first child and before buying my house. The reason I want the Maverick is for the updated safety features of a new vehicle and I’m doing a lot of diy renovations on the house and hate borrowing a truck from friends(unreliable).

looking forward to the responses.
Sponsored

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Replacing a 2019 Ford Ranger Extended cab. Looking for a smaller Pickup like the original size Ranger. The "smaller" pickup trucks that are being made today are the size of yesterdays full sized pickup trucks. Just need a pickup to haul occasionally and have fun driving.

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
I'm looking for something that will let me consolidate two vehicles into single vehicle. I mostly use my Ford Focus for my long commute, and I mostly use my Nissan Frontier for beekeeping and for the 4WD in the winter. So I'm hoping the Maverick can deliver fuel mileage similar to my Focus, and utility that's good enough to haul a few bee hives when needed, even if it's snowing.

Attachments

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Had a Mercedes 2005 E-500. Wife got a Pathfinder as we’re expecting in August.

I sold the Mercedes and took her 2015 Altima for the time being. I grew up driving a truck before the Mercedes and have been itching to get one.

As mentioned earlier it’s a pain and hassle to ask neighbors/friends to borrow a truck for small things like going for DIY projects, lawn maintenance, Christmas Tree etc.

Can’t wait for the Maverick.

Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got an 05 Grand Marquis right now. Dead nuts reliable. Got it at 41k miles and its got about 100k more on it now. Only had to do intake manifold(super common) and general wear items.

Issues with it? Well Im just waiting for the transmission to shred itself. They're junk transmissions in general but in 2005 (and only 2005!) they used the old transmission with the new drive by wire throttle system. Ive been gentle as I can be with it but it shows its age, even with fluid changes and filters. I could easily see it going out anytime. Other than that, I HATE sedans. Useless things, cant carry anything of any reasonable size. Hell, my little Nissan Pulsar NX hatchback had more usable room in it than a Grand Marquis trunk.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A leased Subaru Crosstrek with 20K kilometers that is returned this fall.

Not durable as it had 4K on damage after a hailstorm, whereas the CRV didn't even have disturbed dirt.

Too small.

Other one is a Honda CRV that is bulletproof.

High expectations for this little Ford.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The range of expectations is intriguing. So I’m wondering what vehicle y’all are looking to replace with the Maverick and why?

I currently drive a 2010 Toyota Matrix. I bought it while expecting my first child and before buying my house. The reason I want the Maverick is for the updated safety features of a new vehicle and I’m doing a lot of diy renovations on the house and hate borrowing a truck from friends(unreliable).

looking forward to the responses.
Great idea for a thread! I'm kind of in the same situation. I have learned (the hard way) that being a home owner and not having a pick up truck is a real hassle. In January I had to bring my snowblower for service and I had to rent a truck from U-Haul which was really annoying. The cost wasn't that bad for the rental but the closest U-Haul place is about 20 minutes from my house. So I basically had waste a whole afternoon just to go bring my snow blower for service. Then I had to do it again 5 days later when the snowblower was done being repaired. At that point I kept thinking to myself that I can't wait until later this year when there will finally be some options for small trucks.

My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have a 2004 Infiniti sedan that I'm really hoping makes it another few months to when I can hopefully choose between the new Maverick and the Santa Cruz. I guess the Frontier is also an option but right now that's a distant 3rd with the Maverick being at the top of my list. I've been wanting a small truck for at least 5 years and the Colorado/Canyon twins don't do anything for me at all. The current Frontier is ancient at this point and I couldn't justify spending money on something that outdated.

A pickup truck will be such a huge benefit for doing things around the house. Also I'm an avid mountain biker so it will be nice not having to deal with bike racks and being able to just put my bike in the bed of a truck for easy transport.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right now we have a 1998 BMW 318ti and a 2014 Transit Connect. I love the BMW in the slow-but-feels-fast, engaging driver's car way. I use it to commute and my son and I go on rambling drives in it to see what we can see. The van is used for longer adventures, carrying bigger loads, and anything that my wife does as she can't drive a manual.

In theory the BMW is up for replacement as it's older and has much higher miles, but at this point it's basically worthless and a small truck would be duplicating more of the van's utility, so we'd likely trade that, run the BMW into the ground, and get a fully electric electric runabout. Or another cheap underpowered, sharp handling, little car, but I'm not sure what my excuse will be.

Basil

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i'm on my 2nd 99 ranger and the transmission is struggling. Only vehicles i've ever owned and for me the perfect size. I do lots of home projects and work in property maintenance. My lady has a 2011 highlander that serves its purpose

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
Right now I'm driving a Mazda 3 2017 sedan, I don't expect the maverick to handle as well but I do expect it to be faster. Aiming for more ease getting in and out and the higher ground clearance, but I will miss that trunk

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've thought about getting a Transit Connect, but the lack of AWD has stopped it from being a serious contender. Other than that, it's hard to beat the all-around utility.
For me, it's more the lack of ground clearance that sometimes becomes an issue rather than the lack of AWD (though I'd prefer both). I lived in the East for years and drove it through all sorts of snow and slop. I have dedicated winter tires and those make a huge difference. Then I moved out west and there are hundreds of miles of semi-maintained dirt roads to explore. I would prefer AWD (or a way to pseudo lock the front), but I turn around more often because ground clearance is tight than for traction problems (though that does happen too).

But yeah, if I could get an "Outback" version of the Transit Connect, it would be a great adventure vehicle.