Charging ion batteries

GAT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT 2022
When does the gas engine charge the ion batteries? Also, to what level are they charged? There was a video several months ago where someone ran their hybrid out of gas to see how much juice was left in the batteries. He went one mile on battery. That surprised me as I thought there would ways be some level of reserve I'rom the ion batteries.
Sponsored

KHut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sportrac, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The video is correct. He was a bit extreme but correct. To test yourself, all you have to do is drive around a parking lot (flat of course) so that it stays in electric mode fully. In about a mile (a little more when on flat ground, going slow) you will see the electric bar (if you have the lariat with that dash screen) start to drop quickly. Then it will drop to nothing and the gas engine will engage. In the end, a mile or so is all that it can do on battery only.

OP
OP

GAT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT 2022
Thanks for info. So you are saying that the ion batteries tend to stay fully charged ( if not using them) and there max distance on battery only is approx 1 mile. Is that reasonably accurate?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for info. So you are saying that the ion batteries tend to stay fully charged ( if not using them) and there max distance on battery only is approx 1 mile. Is that reasonably accurate?
I do not know exactly where the parameters are but when the battery gets to around 30-35% the ice will start and charge to around 75-80% charge. Will not charge to 100% because there has to be a reserve to hold any Regen braking that needs to be done. When HV battery drops to probably 15-20% to protect battery life the vehicle will shut down. The battery is a temporary storage "tank" for electricity surplus that is available but not currently needed. It is just part of a energy balancing act!
Sponsored