First Name
Wayner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My truck came in late Tuesday, just in time to hook up our T@B camper and head out for a pre-scheduled trip to visit relatives who have a cabin at the Atlanta Yacht Club. (It sounds more frufru than it really is.) We literally just hooked up the Mav to the trailer and headed out. What could go wrong!?! :LOL:

Living in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina, we started in "haul mode" in case we needed extra power and engine braking. It worked great! But honestly, the truck pulls so well, it was fine in "normal mode." The tow package worked well with the 7-pin connection being plug-and-play. The electronic brakes worked perfectly and didn't even need adjusting. The trip was a three-hour drive consisting of mountains, backroads, and interstate. The only problem was encountering sway between 65-70 mph. My wife quickly did a search on "sway challenges" for our specific T@B. After lowering our ball hitch at the camp site, the trip home had much less sway. Whew!

Overall, our "trial by fire" first drive was a great success and I love my Mav!

Ford Maverick Camping at Atlanta Yacht Club with 2.0 EcoBoost Maverick + TAB Camper Trailer 7-20-23 First Maverick photo camping at AYC
Sponsored

First Name
Alva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Fords, 1 Mercedes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My truck came in late Tuesday, just in time to hook up our T@B camper and head out for a pre-scheduled trip to visit relatives who have a cabin at the Atlanta Yacht Club. (It sounds more frufru than it really is.) We literally just hooked up the Mav to the trailer and headed out. What could go wrong!?! :LOL:

Living in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina, we started in "haul mode" in case we needed extra power and engine braking. It worked great! But honestly, the truck pulls so well, it was fine in "normal mode." The tow package worked well with the 7-pin connection being plug-and-play. The electronic brakes worked perfectly and didn't even need adjusting. The trip was a three-hour drive consisting of mountains, backroads, and interstate. The only problem was encountering sway between 65-70 mph. My wife quickly did a search on "sway challenges" for our specific T@B. After lowering our ball hitch at the camp site, the trip home had much less sway. Whew!

7-20-23 First Maverick photo camping at AYC.jpg
Looking good, nice setup.

Mavapa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I got my Maverick this week, and I’m considering just that trailer. How level is the trailer with the new ball height? And how does the interior height feel when you’re in the camper?

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I want one of those. But wow have camper companies got pricing backwards. No reason a teardrop should cost as much as a full-size travel trailer.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I have Ford's Tow/Haul transmission mode in my Transit RV. The big advantage of tow/haul mode is the downshifting being much more aggressive going downhill...saving the brakes. I always put it in Normal or Eco mode when on level highways, whether alone (10,000 lbs) or towing (14,000 lbs).

Sponsored

Stealth Raccoon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Chevy S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great combo! I had a hunch that the Mav would handle a little trailer like that perfectly.
I’d really like the T@B - especially with the outdoor kitchen. If it were just me I would love one of the tiny teardrops, but since I kinda like my wife being around, a smaller teardrop would meet both our needs better.

OP
OP
iWayner

iWayner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wayner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I want one of those. But wow have camper companies got pricing backwards. No reason a teardrop should cost as much as a full-size travel trailer.
That's the truth, especially since the pandemic. Fortunately we bought it a couple years before and it was an older model which just made it expensive but not unreasonable.

OP
OP
iWayner

iWayner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wayner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have Ford's Tow/Haul transmission mode in my Transit RV. The big advantage of tow/haul mode is the downshifting being much more aggressive going downhill...saving the brakes. I always put it in Normal or Eco mode when on level highways, whether alone (10,000 lbs) or towing (14,000 lbs).
I really like the aggressive up and down shift in the Mav too, especially in the mountains. I'm used to a MT so don't typically like driving AT in the mountains. The tow mode is a good balance between the two for me.

OP
OP
iWayner

iWayner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wayner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great combo! I had a hunch that the Mav would handle a little trailer like that perfectly.
I’d really like the T@B - especially with the outdoor kitchen. If it were just me I would love one of the tiny teardrops, but since I kinda like my wife being around, a smaller teardrop would meet both our needs better.
We love our little T@B. It's our second one. I can't wait to get the racks on the truck and haul all the toys with us. 😊

Stealth Raccoon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Chevy S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We love our little T@B. It's our second one. I can't wait to get the racks on the truck and haul all the toys with us. 😊
I’m really happy with the Thule mid sport rack, it’s right below the cab height but with the Malone ‘V’ racks mounted our kayaks clear the cab easily. I usually haul around either or both of our 10’ singles or the 13’ tandem. The cross bars are a smidge long but I think you could cram three wide if you tried.

Sponsored
OP
OP
iWayner

iWayner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wayner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m really happy with the Thule mid sport rack, it’s right below the cab height but with the Malone ‘V’ racks mounted our kayaks clear the cab easily. I usually haul around either or both of our 10’ singles or the 13’ tandem. The cross bars are a smidge long but I think you could cram three wide if you tried.
Thule makes some really nice racks. I already had the Yakima Overhaul racks in the basement, just waiting on the truck to arrive. I did have the chance to install them and love them on the Mav even though I haven't had the chance to load them up with toys yet. Hopefully action shots coming soon. :)

OP
OP
iWayner

iWayner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wayner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not the best time of year for Hotlanta. :)
:LOL:
That's the truth! Fortunately, a storm with gale force winds blew through to keep us cool in the late afternoon. It left a few trees across the roads here or there, but it was an adventure!

EARL.BRASHER

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Camry SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

what does your trailer weigh? I have a hybrid and I want one of those.

OP
OP
iWayner

iWayner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wayner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
what does your trailer weigh? I have a hybrid and I want one of those.
Just under 2,000 pounds. But we tend to carry lots of toys usually. Plus, it has a 7-pin connector so you need the tow package. I think the hybrid trailer package only has 4-pin connectors.
Sponsored