Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT FX4 Azure Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Trucks in general are the least aero dynamic vehicles on the road. My F-150 gets blown around in wind and when passing or being passed by semis. Lots of air underneath, flat front and windshield, open bed, all make it driving a sail.
Sponsored

PSchiefelbein

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove F-150's from 1995 until taking possession of my hybrid XLT last November. I bought it with a soft tonneau cover. It has surprised me in how much it feels like my older pickups, including how side winds affect it (and we deal with LOTS of wind in ND). It certainly feels no worse and is possibly a tish better. The one surprise is that mileage is affected much less by head or tail winds and much more by cold weather (below freezing). Otherwise I hardly notice a difference (except at the gas pump.

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In a side-wind, my Hybrid Maverick drives MUCH better than my wife's Ford Focus. There is a little sway but nothing I would ever feel uncomfortable with. The only time I get major sway is when stopped at a left-hand turn light and large SUVs/trucks/18-wheelers are passing me at 70MPH. Lots of side-to-side motion from the air pressure (more-so than the Focus).

vinnymac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I have a hard tri fold Ford OEM cover, and all PSI at 38 and again I still feel the Mav and 09 Escape are fairly similar in size and should behave similar. Even tho the Mav is heavier I feel should take more to move it around than the Escape.

Here is a fun link for those who want to compare vehicles... and if I copy/pasted correct should show the escape/maverick comparison. You can also swap what vehicle is in front and where to compare them (front bumper, rear, etc) along with front view, side, rear views.
https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/co...-maverick-2021-4-door-pickup/?&units=imperial

I am hoping that I am just noticing it because it is new to me and I only have 5k miles on it still, but a few of you mentioned you have similar experiences so far with the wind, so that makes me feel less like a noob :).

And note: its never been like "omg its going to blow me into ditch" all over the road issue...more like a " i gotta pay attention" on really windy days so i dont ride the lines and scare other drivers.
Check the pillar sticker for tire pressure my truck says 35psi

Ford Maverick Blown Around on Highway - Or Just Me? DA602456-B40A-4AD8-90D1-C7EEA9F01633

morrisangelo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Tremor (Terrain)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just returned from my north Georgia cabin vacation last Saturday.

Central Georgia was a wind tunnel and my Tremor got pushed around to the point where I had death grips on the steering wheel and my crotch. The crosswinds across I-75 were significant and not to be underestimated at times, but the Maverick was an overall trooper during the entire week's trip.

I'm really starting to fall in love with it...something I didn't experience on my previous 2018 & 2020 F-150's.
Sponsored