Sponsored

Audio Alerts on Android Will Not Play When Connected Via Bluetooth

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
I searched outside of this forum and watched YouTube videos to no avail.

Is there a way when an Android phone is connected to Sync 3 via Bluetooth to enable audio alerts for an App that cannot be added to the Launcher in Android Auto?

I am a firefighter and EDispatches is a common app we use to receive alerts for calls for service. When I do not have the phone plugged in via USB, the alerts do not play over Sync, and I cannot find a setting on my Google Pixel 5 to have the alert play over the phone speaker. I have checked all the settings in my phone (Bluetooth, alerts, etc) and in Sync.

When I plug the phone in via the USB, the alerts will play over whatever media (FM, Music, etc) that is playing. But I don't usually plug my phone into the USB for short drives around town and was wondering if I am missing something or if there is no way around this issue other than plugging in the phone to the USB.

This was not an issue in my 2016 Audi. If I recall correctly, there was a setting in the car interface to allow alerts to play via the phone.

Thanks.

EDIT- When I went back and checked, the audio alerts from the Pixel 5 do not play over (FM, Music, etc) that is playing. Like the wireless connection, the Pixel 5 has to be selected. As noted below, my Audi allowed a Bluetooth connection to the phone only, and disable media from playing through Bluetooth.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My alerts play on my xlt when I do not have my pixel 5a plugged in but phone is connected wirelessly to truck via Fordpass, so try that? The connection is automatic and gets overridden by Android auto when I do plug in.

Good luck

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
My alerts play on my xlt when I do not have my pixel 5a plugged in but phone is connected wirelessly to truck via Fordpass, so try that? The connection is automatic and gets overridden by Android auto when I do plug in.

Good luck
No, that does not work for me, and I don't understand what you said. I'm connected to Fordpass wirelessly and the phone connects to the Sync system via BlueTooth. I'm not naive to this stuff. The connection options seem limited or I am missing something fundamental.

I appreciate your answer, I just don't get what you are saying.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No, that does not work for me, and I don't understand what you said. I'm connected to Fordpass wirelessly and the phone connects to the Sync system via BlueTooth. I'm not naive to this stuff. The connection options seem limited or I am missing something fundamental.

I appreciate your answer, I just don't get what you are saying.
It might be are on different systems because my XLT does not have sync as I understand it, but rather "Ford connected touch radio" or some such.

Anyway, when I do not plug in my phone via USB, I get the notification that says my phone is connected via Fordpass. In this scenario, if I get like a text message, I'll still hear the same alert chime that I would if I were plugged in and connected via Android Auto. However, all I can do is have the radio read me the message (no reply available, for example).

I do not receive chimes on other apps, such as email/outlook when connected wirelessly via Fordpass. My guess is the infotainment is just not very robust and cannot handle anything more than texts and calls.

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
It might be are on different systems because my XLT does not have sync as I understand it, but rather "Ford connected touch radio" or some such.

Anyway, when I do not plug in my phone via USB, I get the notification that says my phone is connected via Fordpass. In this scenario, if I get like a text message, I'll still hear the same alert chime that I would if I were plugged in and connected via Android Auto. However, all I can do is have the radio read me the message (no reply available, for example).

I do not receive chimes on other apps, such as email/outlook when connected wirelessly via Fordpass. My guess is the infotainment is just not very robust and cannot handle anything more than texts and calls.
Thanks for that reply. I'm looking at the XLT specs, which state "connect your phone with standard Bluetooth or opt for SYNC3to get even more seamless voice activated controls."

It says the same thing for Lariat.

I'm going to go try some more things, but either I am missing something, or this just will not work.

I did a test on my home stereo receiver--connected to the receiver via BlueTooth, and started playing TuneIn radio through my stereo receiver. I hit the alert on my EDispatches, and it played through.

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
I got one step further ahead. If I turn off BlueTooth on the stereo system in the car, my audio alerts will play.

If I connect my phone via BlueTooth AND I am listening to audio from my phone (my Pixel 5 is selected as my audio source), then the alert will play over whatever audio (I-Tunes) is currently playing.

What SYNC3 will NOT do is prioritize the Pixel 5 audio over the FM, AM, XM or music library when those are selected as the audio source.

The difference between SYNC3 and the way is worked with my Audi was that the Audi would allow the BlueTooth connection for the phone only, and allow media to play through the phone speaker. It seems SYNC3 does not permit that option.

But, I can slog through by not connected the phone to BlueTooth--I don't talk on the phone that much when I am driving, and if I happen to get a call, I can use the phone speaker, or connect to BlueTooth when I receive the call. The BlueTooth microphone in the Maverick is extremely noisy and very poorly placed in the upper "A" pillar just behind the windshield. I already stuffed two bullet microphone foam windscreens behind the BlueTooth microphone to cut down on wind and road noise that people complained about when I was driving on th highway and using the phone.

Progress. Not perfect, but workable.
Sponsored

Last edited: