Sponsored

Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs?

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have done it on two Ecoboost. Works great.

I documented the wires to look for several pages back.
I have a USA 2024 Ford Maverick XL eco boost, awd, with 4K tow package and WITHOUT the 110v accessory, and only pin 5 is present for the switch in c404. I tested pin 5 with an oem switch and it does indeed work. Pin 6 is gone and as a matter of fact my pin layout looks completely different than yours except for pin 5. I’m attaching a picture. I need a wiring diagram for a 2024 XL because it definitely is different in some ways than the 2022-2023.
Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2649
Sponsored

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I’m about to go through every single pin on c404 with an LED light connected and the switch from pin 5 turned on just to see if any provide power from the factory brake light/cargo light so I can make these bed lights work with the factory cargo light switch. And if none of the pins provide this on c404, I will run a wire all the way to the passenger footwell like illustrated in the touchlink lumen installation instructions. I will report back and see if c404 is useful at all anymore besides adding an extra switch.

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m about to go through every single pin on c404 with an LED light connected and the switch from pin 5 turned on just to see if any provide power from the factory brake light/cargo light so I can make these bed lights work with the factory cargo light switch. And if none of the pins provide this on c404, I will run a wire all the way to the passenger footwell like illustrated in the touchlink lumen installation instructions. I will report back and see if c404 is useful at all anymore besides adding an extra switch.
Good luck. Sounds frustrating!

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good luck. Sounds frustrating!
Thank you. Your posts were really informative and helpful. It’s just odd I have essentially the same exact trim as you the only difference is mine is a 2024 and pin 6 is not there. C404 is not going to work without that pin 6. Checked every pin with a multimeter, and there is nothing while unlocking and using the switch on pin 5. I’m thinking of just running the wire up to the connector in the passenger footwell that is used in the touchlink lumen bed light install. I think that’s the only way. When you click your cargo light switch, do any other lights come on such as the taillights or the reverse lights ?

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you. Your posts were really informative and helpful. It’s just odd I have essentially the same exact trim as you the only difference is mine is a 2024 and pin 6 is not there. C404 is not going to work without that pin 6. Checked every pin with a multimeter, and there is nothing while unlocking and using the switch on pin 5. I’m thinking of just running the wire up to the connector in the passenger footwell that is used in the touchlink lumen bed light install. I think that’s the only way. When you click your cargo light switch, do any other lights come on such as the taillights or the reverse lights ?
No, just the light on top of the truck facing down into the bed. Cargo light.

I was frankly surprised that pin 6 was populated at all.

In the hybrid versions that I checked out, it wasn't.

Sponsored

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No, just the light on top of the truck facing down into the bed. Cargo light.

I was frankly surprised that pin 6 was populated at all.

In the hybrid versions that I checked out, it wasn't.
So everyone who has a hybrid or an ecoboost maverick that does not have the pin 6 on the c404 connector, you will have to gain power controlled by the oem cargo light switch off of the c2280F connector directly from the BCM under the passenger glove box. Pin 7 has a wire that has to be piggybacked off of. There other empty pins that give 12v on this connector such as pin 69 which used in the lumen instructions, but none of the other pins except pin 7 are controlled by the oem switch. I will attach some pictures that could be helpful for the install.

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2668

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2670

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2676

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2666

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Here are some of the lumen instructions but they tap into pin 69 and I guess the lights have a built in switch?? I also saw a video where they tap into both pin 7 and pin 69 for the lumen lights but the instructions don’t mention that.. I’m not sure exactly the best route to go with wiring the connection at the BCM but it doesn’t seem too difficult. Should I just Y tap the wire going into pin 7? Any suggestions?

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2665

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2663

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2664

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2677

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is a great find!

But do you mean pin 72? That's what it looks like on the diagram that you posted.

Would it be easier to tap into the cargo light itself and bring power down through a gasket into the bed?

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is a great find!

But do you mean pin 72? That's what it looks like on the diagram that you posted.

Would it be easier to tap into the cargo light itself and bring power down through a gasket into the bed?
idk why but pin 72 is not the correct one for my maverick. It already has a wire in it and switching the cargo light on and off does not affect the 12v to it. The only pin that the cargo light switch controls 12v to is pin 7. Also, pin 69 provides 12v without the key in and is empty and I think that’s why the lumen install using it. I realize one of the diagrams says pin 72 is the cargo light but on my 2024 this is not the case. Pin 72 goes to something else. The wiring diagrams I’m looking at are from a 2022. Can’t find any for a 2024.

I considered drawing power straight from the cargo light/ third brake light like you mentioned but I think it would be just as difficult with pulling down the headliner and splicing wires.

I could just use the empty pin 69 and wire in an inline switch but then I have two bed lights switches. But my main goal is to us the factory cargo light switch to control the bed lights too, the same as your set up.

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is a great find!

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2679

Sponsored

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is a great find!

in the picture I sent you can see the circuit CLN25 goes to pin 7 on BCM connector. This CLN25 runs back to the cargo light and splits out later to pin 6 if you have it which I do not lol.

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, it looks like you have found it, then. Hard to argue with a multimeter, lol.

I still think it would be easier to drop down from the cargo light. It is removed from the back of the light, in the bed. Lasfit shows the wiring behind it:

You would then just drop down the chasis of the truck, and would have to find a way to fish it out somewhere down below. Where, I'm not sure where...

I'm quite sure you could fish it to the door gasket without lowering the headliner.

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another hairbrained idea I just had...

You could use the 12V assessory connectors built into the bed to power a wireless relay that would turn on your bed lights.

Then, you could wire the remote to either Pin 7 under your fuse box, or shrink wrap the remote and power it from the cargo light (just drop if into the opening between the chasis and the headliner).

you'd spend more than $10 in the wiring from either location to where you want the lights.

3.7-12V Wireless Remote Control Switch Mini Small PCB 433mhz RF Transmitter,3V -12V Battery Power Circuit Micro Controller for DIY https://a.co/d/8yJ7PhT

That shows 9V input for the remote, but it would probably take 12V just fine. Or you might need to throw a few diodes in line to drop the voltage.

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well, it looks like you have found it, then. Hard to argue with a multimeter, lol.

I still think it would be easier to drop down from the cargo light. It is removed from the back of the light, in the bed. Lasfit shows the wiring behind it:

You would then just drop down the chasis of the truck, and would have to find a way to fish it out somewhere down below. Where, I'm not sure where...

I'm quite sure you could fish it to the door gasket without lowering the headliner.

You might be right about the wiring being easier from the cargo lights to the bed instead of the bcm. And your idea about the relay is promising too.. I’ll probably just piggy back off pin 7 or the cargo light harness in a way that is easily reversible. So it all works off of the pin 5 switch. Thanks for the help!

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Found this on a couple other forum posts for the lumen lights. If the constant 12v is pin 69 then what is the other wire going to pin 7. Does it have a relay added to it or something? At this point I’m tempted to buy the lumen kit just to understand and use the wiring harness from it.

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2687

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2689

Ford Maverick Anyone tapped factory bed light to power aftermarket under-rail LEDs? IMG_2688
Sponsored