Sponsored

Android Auto literally useless. Anyone else?

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't know if its been discussed, but Android Auto is being transitioned out. Google's new "Assistant Driving Mode is actually similar to the old Android Auto experience for Phone Screens, which was discontinued with Android 12."
I still find it confusing and glitchy on both the Maverick and our Crosstrek Sport.
Search "google assistant driving mode" for more info.
https://www.androidpolice.com/firin...ut-a-new-tweak-might-make-it-easier-for-some/

PebbleMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Assistant driving mode is only if you're using the screen of your phone (not a car's head unit/screen). Android Auto remains for communicating with the head unit of the car.
There are lots of changes and its confusing. For example, some of the apps on my Samsung Android 12 phone can now be accessed on the Maverick's screen. The lower image is my phone's settings , I can choose which apps I want or don't want to display.

Ford Maverick Android Auto literally useless. Anyone else? AndroidAuto (1)

Ford Maverick Android Auto literally useless. Anyone else? AndroidAuto (5)

Ford Maverick Android Auto literally useless. Anyone else? AndroidAuto (6)

Last edited:

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are lots of changes and its confusing. For example, some of the apps on my Samsung Android 12 phone can now be accessed on the Maverick's screen. And in my phone's settings , I can choose which apps I want or don't want to display.
That is Android Auto. It basically takes relevant apps (e.g., maps, music, messaging) and projects them onto your car's screen. You can still interact with the phone, and yes you can select (to some extent) the apps you want to show via Android Auto. It basically just passes through the functionality of your phone to your car.

The "Android Auto" that google replaced with Assistant Driving Mode is using the actual Android Auto app on your phone when it's mounted to your dash (if you don't have a head unit that supports Android Auto).

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Can I just get a dang car with a radio?

Can someone tell me what the screen really does in these things? I have a phone that I use to make calls, it has a speaker button on it. I have no need for it to connect to my car. I also do not need navigation as I am no longer a OTR trucker. I live on an island and it is impossible to get lost. Even when I lived in Ohio I rarely ever needed a map to know where to go. If I did I would just look it up before I went so I can concentrate on driving.

Can anyone tell me what is so important about these in dash blinder screens that gets people so worked up about em. 5 pages on this thread? Show me a thread with 5 pages about the RDU on FX4 or even the mileage on battery only on the hybrid.

I've never had a flat screen phone and never intend to and it literally feels like I live in a world that is almost completely brainwashed by em.

I'm not some crotchety old guy who wants a dial needle on his radio, just give me something with a flip down face and a cd player so I can rock White Zombie and Smashing Pumpkins cds that I got from the mall in 1997!

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can I just get a dang car with a radio?

Can someone tell me what the screen really does in these things? I have a phone that I use to make calls, it has a speaker button on it. I have no need for it to connect to my car. I also do not need navigation as I am no longer a OTR trucker. I live on an island and it is impossible to get lost. Even when I lived in Ohio I rarely ever needed a map to know where to go. If I did I would just look it up before I went so I can concentrate on driving.

Can anyone tell me what is so important about these in dash blinder screens that gets people so worked up about em. 5 pages on this thread? Show me a thread with 5 pages about the RDU on FX4 or even the mileage on battery only on the hybrid.
Every Maverick comes with a radio.

Glad that your intuition and a map work for you. I like navigation because it provides real-time traffic, arrival times, accident alerts, and speed traps.

There's an "ignore " button on every thread here if this discussion isn't your thing.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Android auto blows for any head unit. It's not worth the hassle. I've had better results with my Garmin unit for navigation (never depends on cell phone data reception), responds better to voice commands and comes with a built-in dash cam. Apple Carplay is better, but not by much.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Every Maverick comes with a radio.

Glad that your intuition and a map work for you. I like navigation because it provides real-time traffic, arrival times, accident alerts, and speed traps.

There's an "ignore " button on every thread here if this discussion isn't your thing.
The fact that an "ignore button" is something that exists, is evidence that we have major problems with our society and humanity in general. Ignoring things you dont like and simply embracing the things that give ya the warm and fuzzies is acquiescence. That is not how conversations, debate, and discussions among peoples works. If those rules have changed were doomed. To ignore is ignorant. I wont live that way.

There is a logical answer for your navigation requests but I am afraid they will be ignored, since Im sure you know them anyway. If you are a commercial driver navigation is handy possibly even necessary as you are going to new places all day long everyday and your pay depends on it. But for commuters and cruisers, it appears to be a tool for obsessing over negative things you cannot control like accidents, speed traps, and traffic.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Android auto blows for any head unit. It's not worth the hassle. I've had better results with my Garmin unit for navigation (never depends on cell phone data reception), responds better to voice commands and comes with a built-in dash cam. Apple Carplay is better, but not by much.
AA has been flawless for me.

It's also pretty easy to get offline maps on Google Maps/Android Auto.
The fact that an "ignore button" is something that exists, is evidence that we have major problems with our society and humanity in general. Ignoring things you dont like and simply embracing the things that give ya the warm and fuzzies is acquiescence. That is not how conversations, debate, and discussions among peoples works. If those rules have changed were doomed. To ignore is ignorant. I wont live that way.

There is a logical answer for your navigation requests but I am afraid they will be ignored, since Im sure you know them anyway. If you are a commercial driver navigation is handy possibly even necessary as you are going to new places all day long everyday and your pay depends on it. But for commuters and cruisers, it appears to be a tool for obsessing over negative things you cannot control like accidents, speed traps, and traffic.
Sir, this is an Arby's.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

AA has been flawless for me.

It's also pretty easy to get offline maps on Google Maps/Android Auto.

Sir, this is an Arby's.
5 for $5 not 1 for $5.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never had a flat screen phone and never intend to and it literally feels like I live in a world that is almost completely brainwashed by em.
I understand that you reject a lot of the newer technology. So maybe your real question is, "Can somebody convince me that this particular tech is useful?" The answer to that is easy... No, they can't. You live on an island, you are satisfied with your flip phone speaker, you check the map before you go somewhere and never get lost. You're perfectly happy just as you are.

So... If you were the only person in the world, then this tech would truly be useless. But there are other people who live differently than you do. And these systems are useful to them, even if not to you.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I understand that you reject a lot of the newer technology. So maybe your real question is, "Can somebody convince me that this particular tech is useful?" The answer to that is easy... No, they can't. You live on an island, you are satisfied with your flip phone speaker, you check the map before you go somewhere and never get lost. You're perfectly happy just as you are.

So... If you were the only person in the world, then this tech would truly be useless. But there are other people who live differently than you do. And these systems are useful to them, even if not to you.
I get that but it just seems frivilous and crutch-like. There are negatives like disattachment to the physical world, but also the pollution and waste involved in production, development, and decomissioning of these products and devices that really seem to have a small advantage in consumer happiness. Then you have things like supply constraints, if you go back 10 years and dialed back the must have on every vehicle scenario of these devices would there be a chip shortage at the moment that is delaying production. Would most of the people on this forum have their trucks by now? Its a massive machine of a society fueled on concepts of waste for the sake of gratification. Its worrisome when somebody steps back and looks at the big picture of it and then zooms in and looks at the little things that drive it. Like long discussions in the user/consumer/post-production arena about which kind of software integration works better on their day to day drive. When they could be putting that energy into remembering to but a recyclable drink container at their gas stop on the way to work.

As an outsider it looks iffy. Like seeing a bunch of people standing on the edge of a cliff on a crazy windy day, and every body is yelling "come over here, we got beers"

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I get that but it just seems frivilous and crutch-like. There are negatives like disattachment to the physical world, but also the pollution and waste involved in production, development, and decomissioning of these products and devices that really seem to have a small advantage in consumer happiness. Then you have things like supply constraints, if you go back 10 years and dialed back the must have on every vehicle scenario of these devices would there be a chip shortage at the moment that is delaying production. Would most of the people on this forum have their trucks by now? Its a massive machine of a society fueled on concepts of waste for the sake of gratification. Its worrisome when somebody steps back and looks at the big picture of it and then zooms in and looks at the little things that drive it. Like long discussions in the user/consumer/post-production arena about which kind of software integration works better on their day to day drive. When they could be putting that energy into remembering to but a recyclable drink container at their gas stop on the way to work.
As you must have understood from my last message, I have no interest in trying to convince you that this tech is useful. And I don't really think you want to convince me of the contrary.

Your comments about consumer society go far beyond the usefulness of automobile tech. So it seems to me that you just want to get your message heard. Good luck to you.

MavVa1024

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Nissan Kicks

As an outsider it looks iffy. Like seeing a bunch of people standing on the edge of a cliff on a crazy windy day, and every body is yelling "come over here, we got beers"

What is a wildly detailed Strawman, Alex.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What is a wildly detailed Strawman, Alex.
Alex?

Sorry to those in this thread, I'm gonna go clean and install a flexplate on 10 year old 258 AMC I6 out of a CJ7 for my 1980 Eagle. Maybe pull the Eagle up the driveway with my Comanche so I can coast it into place in the garage under the motor. I dont have a floor in there so the hoist mostly stays put, and the car moves. Catch ya later.
Sponsored