Sponsored

Android Auto How to input numbers while in call?

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I make a call (with a voice command of course) while driving I cannot figure out a way to input numbers if the phone system I connected to requires one. Like "Press one for sales, 2 for support" etc.

While stopped I can bring up a keypad on the truck LCD and do it. That keypad is unavailable while moving and voice inputs are disabled while "in call".

Anyone figure out how to do that? Half the calls I make connect to a phone system with an IVR (Interactive Voice Response) menu that requires a digit input. This is a large hole in the program.

Googling and searching MTC did not bear any fruit so here I am.
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Usually, those will take voice inputs as well. And if not, I'm not sure that messing with inputting numbers while you're driving is the best idea.

OP
OP
sprcoop

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Usually, those will take voice inputs as well. And if not, I'm not sure that messing with inputting numbers while you're driving is the best idea.
I just figured that since nowadays inputting digits while in a call is a fact of life that AA would have a way to do that.

Ford and I agree with you that inputting numbers while driving is a bad idea. They really should have a hands free method for doing that.

OP
OP
sprcoop

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bumping this.

Can't believe that this has not been an issue for anyone.

I find that if I spend much time researching an issue and I find no mention of the problem that means the solution is so easy that it has not come up.

Hoping that is the case here. I just need to know what that solution is.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I make a call (with a voice command of course) while driving I cannot figure out a way to input numbers if the phone system I connected to requires one. Like "Press one for sales, 2 for support" etc.

While stopped I can bring up a keypad on the truck LCD and do it. That keypad is unavailable while moving and voice inputs are disabled while "in call".

Anyone figure out how to do that? Half the calls I make connect to a phone system with an IVR (Interactive Voice Response) menu that requires a digit input. This is a large hole in the program.

Googling and searching MTC did not bear any fruit so here I am.
Not necessary "a large hole in the program"

I think it is by design. Most manual activities in AndroidAuto and the Maverick also are locked while driving.

Not only a safety issue while driving but probably a liability issue for AA as well.

Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The solution is most likely to pick up the actual phone and enter/hit the number. Which is really unsafe. Unless you mount your phone for easy "tapping"

OP
OP
sprcoop

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not necessary "a large hole in the program"

I think it is by design. Most manual activities in AndroidAuto and the Maverick also are locked while driving.

Not only a safety issue while driving but probably a liability issue for AA as well.
It may be by design but if so I deem it a poor design. Of course that's just my opinion that is worth nothing.

They design it so you can send a text message completely by voice yet you can't enter a single digit by voice while in a call to get past an IVR?

The solution is most likely to pick up the actual phone and enter/hit the number. Which is really unsafe. Unless you mount your phone for easy "tapping"
i didnt even try that for that very reason. My goal for AA is to leave the phone in my pocket.

Also I could be wrong but I think AA makes the phone unusable while in session.
Sponsored