First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s why I wonder why so many people get either service plans or extended warranties.

you are taking your truck back to a place you don’t like to get work done by people you don’t trust.

I always suggest take the money you would have spent on extended warranties and service plans and gap insurance and all that and set it aside and pay for your own repairs as you need them by people you like and trust

Stetson
It all depends on how much the extended warranty can be obtained for and what you expect from the vehicle. I had several Fords and wish I had a warranty on two. One blew the tranny at 75K...out of warranty and one had numerous issues with the drive axles and power train. I think the warranties would have been cheaper in the end.
If they give me warranty (and I am cheap) with a lot off their initial price I may go for it but need to read all the fine print first...and want it for 100K minimum.

The good thing too is that you don't need to take your vehicle back to where you bought it.
Sponsored

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With regards to the boot leakage...it if is a small tear in the boot and the work will not be covered, you may be able to repair the boot with the RIGHT STUFF. This stuff is excellent if applied correctly. You would find the small tear, possibly add more grease into the joint and then clean the area around the tear and turn the boot (axle) so the tear is on top. Then clean again using 99% isoproply or really good cleaner, rough up the rubber a little and reclean. Then apply a nice coating of the Right Stuff over the tear. Let it dry for a day and put some more on in a slightly overlapping larger area and let it dry again for a day. Test and see if the leak is sealed. I tried this twice on Subaru models and they were still good a year later.
After taking my Maverick in for the second oil change and service at ~11k miles, I was told I have a leaking front axle boot.

I was then told that the axle replacement is not covered under warranty due to my having installed a front end lift/level kit. I had the lift installed professionally by an installer that does work for many of the local dealers.

During the purchase process, most of our communications were via text. Included in those texts was me asking if a lift would void my warranty and the answer was a clear “NO”.

However, I’m now looking at a $800 repair for a complete axle and boot replacement.

Fortunately my lift kit company has a guarantee that if any issues arise after an installation of their kit, repairs will be paid for by them, minus a $100 deductible.

While trying to extract a detailed estimate from the dealer service center that originally called out the repairs, I contacted the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repairs (BAR), just to ask about what constitutes a legal estimate.

In my conversation with the BAR representative, he instructed me to file a complaint with BAR immediately. The BAR rep stated that they have dealt with dealerships disallowing similar warranty claims in the past and they will investigate my claim.

I was also told that due to the fact that this is a new vehicle that there may be quality issues that have not come to light yet. Apparently there are reports of front axle leaks and replacements coming through already.

For my situation, except for $100 and the inconvenience of not having my truck for a week or two while we wait for the part(s) arrive in So Cal from Detroit, the cost of my repairs are covered.

I don’t know if I will keep my lift on at this point. My dealer has flagged me for denial of any further warranty repairs due to my lift.

I will update as I hear back from BAR or Ford as they too have requested information about my case.

I would look at the boot leak and if it is a small tear I would first try using the RIGHT STUFF on it. Add more grease through the hole, clean the tear and lightly sand the rubber area, clean it with 99% isoproply, and then apply the Right Stuff...let dry 24 or more hours and then apply a second layer on top overlapping the edges.

I did this on two cars...both held and no leaking after a couple of years. If you really strain the boot though..like off road or lift it may be too much pulling on the boot even for the Right Stuff. This stuff is expensive but it works better than anything else I ever tried,,,even for sealing jetski pumps.

Viking

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess it depends on the dealer and if they try to pull one over on you. I know the original post is a bit old, but I self installed a 2 in lift right when I got mine basically and eventually had an axel boot split and the dealer replaced it under warranty. The service advisors also mentioned to me way prior that they seen the lift and said anything over 2 in could cause issues. They also offered ideas for off road places and I was safe for warranty with what I had. I have a 2022 XLT with FX4 and tow package that I took delivery in December of 2021 and the right front axel was noticed during an oil change and then replaced around May of this year I think. Right around the 20k-25k mile mark maybe as well.
Sponsored