Dalas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi All,

After lurking for a couple months, I figured I should probably post a thread and contribute to the community. In December of 2023, I picked up a 2024 Cactus Grey AWD XL trim Maverick with the 4K tow package. I had been comparing mid-size trucks for over a year and while my heart was set on a 2024 Colorado (sorry!), I couldn't justify the additional 12k for the model I wanted. Over the course of several months, I kept tabs on local Maverick listings and like most people here know, every listing I found was already reserved/presold/massive mark-up, etc.

As luck would have it, my local dealer put a 2024 up on the website with no mark-up. In disbelief that it was actually available, I swung by and found out that not only was it available (cancelled order) but there was no mark-up on the sticker either! After talking with the dealer, they said "actually, there is a mark-up." To which I responded that without it being on the sticker or the website, there is no mark-up. One hour later, I had the keys to the Maverick at MSRP! Not a huge win, but with today's market I'll take it.

So here it is! My plans are a small lift/leveling kit, a few cosmetic mods, and to just use the trucklet as my primary transportation with some camping trips sprinkled in. My other car gets 12mpg, so this is a vast improvement.

A couple days after I picked it up.
Ford Maverick 2024 AWD XL : Blank Slate PXL_20231212_003308786

Added 245/65/17 Toyo tires and a Rough Country tri-fold tonneau cover.
Ford Maverick 2024 AWD XL : Blank Slate PXL_20240219_192442522.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL

I have a 2" lift kit I'm waiting to install, as I need to take the Maverick into the dealer. At 6k miles, it's developed a high pitch whine at low speed/turns that sounds like it's coming from the engine bay. There's also a very annoying rattle in the driver side A pillar that I'd like checked out.
Sponsored

Carlitos_92

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 XLT EB AWD Lux FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Congrats, that's a hell of a no-nonsense, capable truck. There is just something about those XLs on steelies. Also, I have 4K envy. :D

OP
OP

djSL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dalas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks! I actually like the steelies, too. Maybe one day I'll powder coat them, but for now they're totally fine.

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Terrain Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice! My Cactus Gray XL is in transit. I've been on the fence about the look of the silver steel rims. The more aggressive tire gives it a purposeful stance. What tire make/size is that? And did you notice any change in MPG?

OP
OP

djSL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dalas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Gray Goose. Thanks! They do look better with bigger tires. Currently on Toyo Open Country AT/III 245/65/17.

I can't comment on gas mileage as my highways are basically stop and go so I've never seen more than 26mpg so far. With the tires, I'm averaging 25.7. Seems relatively negligible on the Maverick.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

djSL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dalas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im regard to the whine/squeak, I think I've narrowed it down to the brakes. Under light braking, the Mav groans and squeaks. A little irritating with only 6k miles on it.

I've heard this is becoming a common issue. Any fixes? New rotors and better pads?

OP
OP

djSL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dalas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After installing the tonneau cover, I realized that i definitely needed some lights back there. I ended up buying some small LED lights from Bezos land and installed them in the factory rubber plugs in the bed for an OEM look. All I did was snip a hole in the center of the plugs and insert the lights. I did this on both sides for a total of four lights.

Ford Maverick 2024 AWD XL : Blank Slate PXL_20240205_004828425

I hemmed and hawed for awhile on how to wire this as the factory bed accessory wiring stays on for ~90+ minutes after turning the key to ACC. Since going inside the cab to turn the key just for bed lights seemed rather inconvenient, I wanted to wire this into the bed cargo light. The cargo light turns on/off with the key fob and by pressing the cargo button in the cab. I almost always have my keys with me, so it makes the most sense to wire the lights in that manner.

To wire this, I followed the guidance in this thread:
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ower-aftermarket-under-rail-leds.7570/page-12

I have a 2024 so wiring this was harder than 2022-2023 Ecoboost models. For the 2024, you have to run wiring all the way into the cab to the BCM and splice off a wire. This involved removing the fender liner and some interior trim to run the wiring.

This definitely took me longer than I'd like to admit, but mostly this was due to hiccups with the wiring and a lot of trial and error. If I had to do it again, it would probably only take 1-2 hours.
The lights are plenty bright in the dark, so this will do for now.

Ford Maverick 2024 AWD XL : Blank Slate PXL_20240411_204932453

Lights aren't very bright during the day, but they're much better at night.
Ford Maverick 2024 AWD XL : Blank Slate PXL_20240411_204956818

OP
OP

djSL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dalas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine