Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have been told that drop in bed liners can hold moister between the bed and the liner, promoting rust That spry in is better. Can I hear from the experts?
Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been told that drop in bed liners can hold moister betwwen the bed and the liner, promoting rust That spry in is better. Can I hear from the exsperts?
It's true. Also, the cost between a good quality DIBL vs. a spray in isn't much (if any) vs. the benefits. SIBL fits perfectly, is very durable, and quality ones have a good warranty. They can also be touched up if they get banged up. Spending $415 plus installing yourself for the Ford drop in. I paid $423 after tax for my Toff spray in and didn't have to do any more than drop off and pick up.

Milqueman

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid, 2013 Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, that's true. Also, sand can get between the DIBL and with the small movement of the DIBL and the bed, can cause the paint to wear off, which in turn, with water will cause the steel bed to rust over time.

The benefit to a DIBL is it's usually cheaper, it can be removed (relatively) easier, which will allow you to either replace it or clean and dry under it, then put it back in. It will also protect better against dents from dropped items, as they are usually pretty thick. And also, they are smooth (as opposed to some SIBL, which have a gritty texture) this allows you to slide things in and out of the bed easier, and is better on your hands and knees if you're crawling around back there.

The benefit to a SIBL is that it will protect against rust (previously mentioned) a lot better. Depending on who you get to do it, they last a long time (line-X is pretty good). and, oddly contrasting, they usually have a Gritty texture, which some people prefer, as it prevents things from sliding around as you drive. You can also get a SIBL with a more smooth texture if you prefer.

There's many articles on the web that highlight the pros and cons of each.

Sponsored

NoCoolNameDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking for a soft tonneau. Waiting for $$$
Then you could do any of the 3 as water intrusion should be at a minimum. What will the bed be used for mostly as more of a trunk or will you be hauling dirt, grave, mulch or tools.

OP
OP
Barksdale123

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Then you could do any of the 3 as water intrusion should be at a minimum. What will the bed be used for mostly as more of a trunk or will you be hauling dirt, grave, mulch or tools.
Most Ag and garden type stuff. But with a truck everybody who moves knows you.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have had bed liner, never again. The SIBL is well worth the xtra costs, especially if you haul anything like gravel, lumber, any thing with sharp edges, etc. One issue with my bed liner was I was having rust and did not know it.

Sponsored

Paul Davis

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XT hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have always used DuraLiner or RuggedLiner drop in liners in my trucks. Different uses require different solutions. Depends on what you are mostly hauling. Bikes, lumber, groceries, gravel, compost? I like the one piece drop ins because the ford modular drop ins get dirt/sand between/behind the panels. And I do not like the SIBL because they are worthless when trying to shovel dirt out of the bed. I usually load and unload my trucks with a skid steer, and between SIBL, Ford modular BL, and one piece drop in BL, only one can take licks from the bucket and see no damage. Also, it is by far the cheapest option.

Last edited:

Fiver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Chevy Colorado, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost