Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just joined the Maverick Truck Club to share my experience with NOT getting the Maverick I ordered through Honolulu Ford. I ordered my Hybrid XLT in August 2021 and went down to the dealership to pick up my truck this past Saturday. Prior to the delivery appointment, I asked my salesperson two times if I'd be getting it at the ordered price to which he would not answer. I figured I wouldn't, based on his response but still wanted to drive the truck to see if I would like it enough to order it through another dealership. I'm in no rush to get a new truck, I just thought it was a great opportunity to get a cheap, fuel efficient vehicle and sell my gas guzzler. I had ordered my truck with a tonneau hard cover roll up and to my surprise, my truck didn't have it. I think the dealership took it off my order without my acknowledgement because they wanted the truck faster. The dealership's additional mark up of $13K brought the total price to $40K! The salesman said he could get it down $3K from there which would make it $37K but that was the most he could do. When I challenged him on the price he said I'd pay when I ordered the truck, he said that no one is getting the truck for MSRP and every dealership is charging $10K over. I said I heard about a dealership in the mainland that sells Mavericks for slightly over MSRP so I'll order through them. He said fine, walked away upset and I left. He called later that day asking me to release the truck by either emailing him or sending him a text saying I didn't want it. I sent an email to Honolulu Ford saying why I wouldn't be buying the truck - because they wanted to charge me over $10K more than the price of my order. Just minutes later, the salesman called me yelling about the fact that I included the reason in the email. I said it was the truth so I included it. He continued to yell about how Ford is driving dealers to have to mark up the trucks, how they are making the dealerships look bad, how sales people are barely making a living because inventory is so low, on and on and on. I'm thinking, really? There were lots of cars on the lot, so it wasn't like there were no cars to sell!?! On a side note, I read an article about the Ford CEO warning dealers against gouging their customers and if they do, Ford will reduce the inventory they send them. I'm wondering if that's why he was so mad, that my letter would go to Ford corporate. I don't know what the purpose of his call was - to convince me to write another email or to tell me off? I ended the call by saying that I was disappointed that I didn't drive home in the truck I ordered and I'd guess he was disappointed he didn't make a sale. We both didn't get what we wanted. It is what it is.
But really, he has the better end of this situation. I have no new truck and he has the opportunity to sell my truck for more. And he calls to yell at me? Ridiculous! Additionally, I plan to share my experience with Ford corporate so they know how Honolulu Ford (Lithia) does business.
I called a mainland dealership soon after and put my name on a wait list to order a new Maverick when ordering resumes in the Fall. They confirmed they charge MSRP plus $499. I'm totally fine with getting a Maverick a year from now and not having to pay a huge markup.
What scum bags! I'm in the same boat since my order is there. I hear Windward is much easier to deal with a lower ADM..
Sponsored

Last edited:

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 53 Dodge M37
Not really related to the topic being discussed (obviously)but this was the first thing that I thought of after seeing "Hawaii".
How many people have flown to Hawaii that did not get off of the plane?
Me. Coming back from Nam we landed in Hawaii and were told that there was a free steak dinner inside. I was so stressed that I thought that they would send me back to Nam if I got off.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not really related to the topic being discussed (obviously)but this was the first thing that I thought of after seeing "Hawaii".
How many people have flown to Hawaii that did not get off of the plane?
Me. Coming back from Nam we landed in Hawaii and were told that there was a free steak dinner inside. I was so stressed that I thought that they would send me back to Nam if I got off.
Should've gotten off. Steak here is really good. I dont know what it is about that upcountry beef but its got a real authentic wilderness flavor to it.

Countrygirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Just out of curiosity, what's the shipping costs from California to Hawaii for a new vehicle if it's not being shipped by Ford to Hawaii?
I don't know. Can anyone answer this question? I will be ordering my Maverick from a dealership in Kansas and on a YouTube video they said they've shipped a few to Hawaii. I figured I'd ask them when I put in my order. I'm guessing $1,500?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't know. Can anyone answer this question? I will be ordering my Maverick from a dealership in Kansas and on a YouTube video they said they've shipped a few to Hawaii. I figured I'd ask them when I put in my order. I'm guessing $1,500?
I shipped a AMC Eagle to Maui for $1350 in August. The easiest way it to go directly through Pasha transport. There a million brokers between you and them that want an extra few hundred out of you. There is only 2 ways to get a car here. On a Pasha boat, or in a Matson container possibly on a Pasha boat. Oahu is the cheapest and the rest of the islands are usually just a bit more..

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Howdy country girl, I don't know what island you live on but shipping to Hilo with Pasha is $1700 from San Diego, So if you're still waiting to order your truck in August and you're on the big island I would just go with orchid Isle Ford and pay their $2200 mark up and save money in the long run. I gotta believe you're gonna pay more than that to get a truck shipped from Kansas to Hawaii

Countrygirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Thanks for the advice. I'll check on both options and go with the one that gives me a go true final price. Its probably better to go with the orchid isle option as the mainland shipping fee could change and out of the hands of the dealership

OP
OP

Bkonick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eccboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks for the advice. I'll check on both options and go with the one that gives me a go true final price. Its probably better to go with the orchid isle option as the mainland shipping fee could change and out of the hands of the dealership
I worked with Kristian and Mike at Orchid Isle in Hilo. They were great to work with. There was the 2200 markup, but I joined Hawaii Farm Bureau and got 500 off.
Ordered late July and got my truck first week of April.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I worked with Kristian and Mike at Orchid Isle in Hilo. They were great to work with. There was the 2200 markup, but I joined Hawaii Farm Bureau and got 500 off.
Ordered late July and got my truck first week of April.
$2200 markup is worth it. On Maui its $5000 or more so we will wait to get ours from Granger Iowa at $3000 off MSRP and ship it with the savings, plus go pick it up for a cross country vacation.

AMCJeepMJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One too many
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Aloha, I shipped a Jeep to Hilo from Tacoma in 2019 it was only $1300; shipped a Ford Escape again from Tacoma to HIlo in 2022 and it was half again more. Matson was used for both vehicles.

With the crazy $5-$10k markups on the islands it may be cheaper to order from a dealer on the Mainland that sells at MSRP and ship it yourself even with the cost of round trip flights?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Aloha, I shipped a Jeep to Hilo from Tacoma in 2019 it was only $1300; shipped a Ford Escape again from Tacoma to HIlo in 2022 and it was half again more. Matson was used for both vehicles.

With the crazy $5-$10k markups on the islands it may be cheaper to order from a dealer on the Mainland that sells at MSRP and ship it yourself even with the cost of round trip flights?
Should be no need to fly there to buy there, unless its you want to test drive it but by that point you are already pretty commited. I bought and shipped my Eagle from AZ all by phone cost just over $2k non operable(2 giant holes in engine block).

2 other things given the popularity or Tacomas here you should get a bumper stick that says "Jeep from Tacoma" for your Jeep. Just so you can sell it for $25k after it goes over 300,000 miles and is starting to fall apart :ROFLMAO: .

The other thing is couple MJs for ya.
1 is an amazingly hard working Eliminator with several questionable mods that make it awesome, it goes 4 days a week hauling anything and everything through the muck on the farm and regularly hauls 2200lbs to and from town. Paid $1600 for it over 3 years ago. Made my own bumper, found racks in a cane field, stole winch from my CJ, cut the fenders, added coil spacers, overload rear shocks and extended shackles, 31x10.50 Komodo MTs. Came with cowl hool and lawn tractor vents, side exit exhaust, toyota sunroof.

The other is a 7" lifted long arm with renix(and vaccum line maddness issues 😭) and a AX15 swap. I bought it for $600 and have put $150 in it(shocks and mounts), I hope to have it street-to the trail driveable before I get to $1000 on it. Next is getting wheel adapters to put on a set of CJ wheels with 32x11.50 MTs.
Ford Maverick Hawaii KIMG0211.JPG
Sponsored