Sponsored

Consensus On Maverick Bed Dimensions / Length?

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Doubt it will be anything other than a traditional bed extender. If you need a bigger bed they will expect you to buy a Ranger or F series.
Sponsored

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Tailgates take a lot of abuse. Many old, hardworking trucks have tailgates that are mangled or bent down into a catenary curve. I suppose you could think of them as disposable at that point, you can pick up another one from a junkyard and they are easy to switch out.

Reactions: Doc

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So are you guys saying/thinking the bed can handle a now-priced-at-$90-per-piece-here-in-Texas full sheet of plywood? Assuming 54.5" bed length + 18" tailgate down + 12" tailgate slider?

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So are you guys saying/thinking the bed can handle a now-priced-at-$90-per-piece-here-in-Texas full sheet of plywood? Assuming 54.5" bed length + 18" tailgate down + 12" tailgate slider?
Boy do I feel you on plywood prices. I love working with decent plywood and just bought a house. I had basically been using $50 per sheet for mental shorthand for plywood forever than got hit with a cost estimate whammy when I checked current prices. I have some modified Ikea bookshelves as they went from being a bit cheaper than building them myself (and I'd trade that for quality) to being less than half the cost.

In terms of the Maverick's bed: I don't think it will be wide enough between the wheel wells for the sheet to sit flat, so they'll have to sit on top of the wheel wells. The early leaked shots of the unibody seemed to show flattened tops of the wheel well which would support that possibility. With the sheet elevated though, you have to figure out how to keep it from sliding out the back of the truck, so maybe Ford has a trick up it's sleeve to keep it level like the Gladiator's 2/3 down position. That would leave the bed a bit shorter though and have over 2ft of plywood hanging over, so hopefully Ford includes something that allows you to secure a few 2x4s or something for extra support.

Leuf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Putting a few 4x8 sheets at an angle is nothing. Throw a strap around it and off you go. I've had 12'+ boards hanging out the back of my 6.5' bed. However. we've seen in spy shots that the bed has the typical notches for 2x4s across the bed to put sheet goods on and I don't know about that. If it's a 4.5' bed then that notch can't be too much more than the midpoint of the sheet. Maybe the bed is a little longer than people are thinking or that's a little dicey. Maybe they just want you to stack up half sheets.

Sponsored

chuckufarlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Canyon
My interest in the vehicle would be for hauling my dirt bike. I'd prefer a two door with a longer bed but a small flat rail type of sliding ramp would work. Maybe a two layer setup where the top section slides out to make a ramp and then once the bike is on it, slide it back in where the ramp gives you the extended lenght.
Yep. The only reason I need a truck at all is to haul my dirtbike or my ATV somewhere.

A current F150 is no good. Not only is it too expensive and uses too much fuel, but it is too high. It is dangerous to load and hard to reach over the box to strap stuff in. Lots of F150 owners tow trailers to move their toys. If I am going to tow a trailer anyway, then I will buy a car or SUV.

My 2007 Canyon is nearly perfect for my purposes. The tailgate doesn't close on the ATV, but you can close the tailgate 45 degrees so stuff doesn't slide out. The box is low enough to step up and off, and reach over the sides to grab stuff or strap stuff in. The F150 and even the Ranger are much too high to be useful.

So... I am patiently waiting on what this Maverick will be like with $30000 burning a hole in my pocket. My Canyon is pretty much done -- not worth to fix anymore.

So do I just go ahead any buy a car that I want and accept that I have to tow? Or do I wait to be disappointed by Ford in finding out the Maverick box will not be useable for a small ATV (Kodiak 450) or a couple dirt bikes?

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So do I just go ahead any buy a car that I want and accept that I have to tow? Or do I wait to be disappointed by Ford in finding out the Maverick box will not be useable for a small ATV (Kodiak 450) or a couple dirt bikes?
How well does the Kodiak fit around the Canyon's wheelarches in the bed?

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep. The only reason I need a truck at all is to haul my dirtbike or my ATV somewhere.

A current F150 is no good. Not only is it too expensive and uses too much fuel, but it is too high. It is dangerous to load and hard to reach over the box to strap stuff in. Lots of F150 owners tow trailers to move their toys. If I am going to tow a trailer anyway, then I will buy a car or SUV.

I have an Acura Sportwagen with almost 165,000 miles on it and the back seats have been used maybe a dozen times. I could care less how much room is back there or how comfortable the seats are. Since both the Maverick and Santa Cruz are gonna be 4 doors, I'm thinking about just getting a trailer now.

chuckufarlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Canyon
How well does the Kodiak fit around the Canyon's wheelarches in the bed?
It fits perfectly. Just squeezes in between the wheel wells.

Ford Maverick Consensus On Maverick Bed Dimensions / Length? {filename}

And almost completely fits in the box... doesn't ride on the tailgate:

Ford Maverick Consensus On Maverick Bed Dimensions / Length? {filename}

In comparison, this is the height of my truck compared to a standard F150 these days:

Ford Maverick Consensus On Maverick Bed Dimensions / Length? Zm5M4z

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hopefully a rear slider to get longer stuff in when necessary
We had heard this would be a feature of the Santa Cruz but it looks like that didn't make it to the final design.

Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We had heard this would be a feature of the Santa Cruz but it looks like that didn't make it to the final design.
I believe they said the rear window will be a slide down in the final version of the Santa Cruz kind of like the 4Runner has. Thats a ridiculously cool feature I wish the Maverick had but i think itll just have the tiny and mostly useless sliding piece.

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Tundra has this feature. Full rear window rolls down.

My Leer cap has a fully removable back glass panel which would also be great on the Mav. Obviously the power down Tundra style preferred.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Really like the idea of a smaller PU, wish an extended cab version would be in the product mix. A little less cab and a bit more bed would make for a practical option. Room for 4 on short hops, and room for 2 plus secure storage for luggage/tools/gear on longer trips with more space for load/toys/tools in bed. Like, and currently use the DiamondBack heavy-duty hard tonneau cover, which allows easy removal/reattachment when I need to load my motorcycle. Can see this or a bed cap as being useful for someone who wants to use the Maverick for business purposes.

Currently have a 2017 Ridgeline that I use to carry a 450 pound motorcycle loaded in the bed. The rear wheel sits on the tailgate, but fabricated a plate that extends between the end of he bed and trailer hitch mount that carries the load rather than the tailgate. Would be interested to see if the Maverick bed/tailgate length would be long enough to allow me to do the same. Might need some additional/optional suspension mods to assist in handling that much load hanging out the rear. Honda does OK with the load, but would add a load assist option if a practical/affordable choice was available.
Ford Maverick Consensus On Maverick Bed Dimensions / Length? Hitch-Plat

Ford Maverick Consensus On Maverick Bed Dimensions / Length? Loadin

Ford Maverick Consensus On Maverick Bed Dimensions / Length? Loaded
Sponsored