Sponsored

Young Buyer; I would like your opinion...

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey man, I ended up getting my hands on a 2.0L AWD FX4, white color. I was pretty hesitant about the hybrid (in terms of reliability and DIY maintenance), plus a large majority of my driving is on the freeway.

I've had mine for about a year now, and I'm pretty satisfied with my choice. This is the first truck I've really loved, and if you live in a bigger city like me, it's a perfect choice in my opinion. My only regret so far is the FX4 package, I didn't know that it would remove Eco and Sport modes before I ordered it, which is something I really wish I had. I've never really gone crazy off-roading so far, but I guess the option is always there for me. However, I couldn't be happier so far (y)
There have been a few posts on this Forum that say with Forscan you can get the Eco and Sport modes activated on your Eco Boost. You just have to do a little searching. Best of luck
Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

(Too long/Didn't Read: I need help deciding the powertrain and the color)
Hi guys, I'm currently thinking of getting a new Maverick and I'd like to see others' opinions to help me finalize my choice. I'm a very indecisive person lol.
I'm currently a 21 y/o college student, I currently drive a base model 2021 Chevy Colorado (its my uncles) and I loathe it. It needs more power and returns lackluster mpg (~22). I saw the Maverick about a month ago and though that this would be the perfect truck for me, as its compact and has some pretty neat tech features.

I'm going to go for the Lariat trim, specifically for the Lane centering and Adaptive Cruise Control features. My dad just bought a 2021 F-150 Platinum and those features are absolutely amazing; you can pretty much drive the truck without barley even doing anything. I plan on coming home a lot from college so long drives are a must for me. However, having a truck that can drive all-terrain and tow/haul a decent amount are also important.

This is where I want to reach out to you guys and see your takes. I currently started out reserving the AWD FX4 with the 2.0L, but I switched to the Hybrid recently, because I wasn't too sure what the mpg on the 2.0L was. When that was released recently and saw that its at the high 20's and low 30's, I'm not sure if I should switch back. Here's why:
1. I'm not fond of CVT transmissions. Will the new eCVT be reliable? Is it fun/comfortable to drive? This truck will have to last me a while, and I'd hate to have issues in the future. I'd rather stick with the 8-speed if that's more well-known and reliable for lasting.

2. Mpg is a big deal for me, but the official numbers for the hybrid haven't been released, and the low 30's for the 2.0L don't seem bad at all. If the hybrid's is close to the high 40's, that would be amazing. Naturally, I drive pretty conservatively, so In your guy's opinion, what would be the mpg for both engines?

3. AWD/4x4 is a nice feature. Though I very rarely use it in my past trucks, its nice to know its there and to use it when the occasion arises. However, its a hefty price jump to go to the FX4 from the hybrid; is it worth it?

4. Is the towing/hauling capacity worth it on the hybrid? I'm also planning on buying a cheap motorcycle soon, and I often move in/out of apartments at my college. I'm also in a family of farmers, so hauling certain things are important as well. 1,500lbs doesn't seem bad at all but would it strain the engine too much?

5. What color looks best in your opinion? I have currently have black, but I know the pain with trying to keep a black vehicle look nice (need to wash it a lot). So I'm going to go with either white or cactus gray, what's your take?

I'm pretty indecisive, especially if I'm going to drop all this money on my first new vehicle lol. The total price isn't a huge issue, but the cost effectiveness is. Any takes and opinions would be great, also sorry for the length of the post lol. Appreciate it!
The eCVT should be very reliable.
I get about 40mpg in mixed driving in my XLT hybrid.
And, I do good in the snow with 2wd and stock tires but for better assurance I'm getting snow tires for the winter. That should be plenty.
1500 lbs for towing is ok but don't exceed that with the hybrid.
Color? I like my A51 but it's personal. Ask your girlfriend.