Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just pointing out that by human nature people are going to move them manually.
I agree, but it's not just human nature, the damn owners manual doesn't warn against this at all. How many "normal" owners are going to be keeping up with NHTSA in general, much less specific to the windshield wipers??

The design is not a problem for me at all, but the lack of info on this sucks. Lots of reasons to need to move the wipers off the glass., not just snow.

Gonna have to pull that cover and see how this works
Sponsored

TXM2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FWD ECO Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh sure! how convenient design! Just turn off the car when wipers are on the up position and manually pull back to service/wash.

BUT then, make sure to remember to put them back down before you start the car again or WHAMMM! (damage to the hood paint).

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have owned loads of vehicles and this isn't the first one I have had that they were like this but it has been awhile. I think I have the heated wiper blades coming on mine which I have never had before so was already wondering how that worked for replacement.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wipers 'hidden' behind the rear edge of the hood are not new, having been introduced about 1968, more or less.
The design used is familiar to any that owned a First Gen Escape Mariner or Tribute within the last ~20 years.
Or owned one of the most popular cars if the 20th century, a Taurus(or Sable).
This is nothing new. But it sure must be fun to claim ignorance and rail about FoMoCo being inept in all things.
I would suggest to all that they NEVER try to move the wiper arms manually, as there are 3 likely outcomes, only 1 being 'good'. Either the arm will move where it attaches to the pivot, or it will break free and possibly ruin the splines or attaching bits. A second option is that the internal gears of the drive get stripped. A 3rd, final is that the gears allow slippage or a built-in clutch allows movement without damaging the drive mechanism. The only car that I have ever been able to move the wiper arms manually was powered by a vacuum motor. A long time ago.
tom

Paulsr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford mustang , escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Should say when wiper are up position turn truck off
It’s what we do here in northern Ohio in winter shut car or truck off when in up position and pull wipers out so they don’t freeze to windows in the snow and ice when parking over nite

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree, but it's not just human nature, the damn owners manual doesn't warn against this at all. How many "normal" owners are going to be keeping up with NHTSA in general, much less specific to the windshield wipers??

The design is not a problem for me at all, but the lack of info on this sucks. Lots of reasons to need to move the wipers off the glass., not just snow.

Gonna have to pull that cover and see how this works
Agree that the manual should be crystal clear on this. There was some information put out by ford about this, but it doesn't seem to be in the manual where is should be.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's still weird you have to time the wipers to be able to put them in the open position
You have to gently ( manually)pull the wipers toward the driver's side and you can lift them off the windshield to clean them
Sponsored