First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to work for a seat manufacturer that made seats for a general motors plant a couple of blocks away, and I think everyone in this thread who thinks offering more choices is easy have no understanding of the process.

Take seats, for example. The seats for any given Maverick are actually not stored at the factory producing that Maverick. In fact, until a few minutes before that Maverick is made, those seats don't even exist. There is another factory down the road producing them, and delivering them to the factory at the exact time the factory needs them. There is no storage, it is just in time manufacturing.

The seat vendor won't be storing up seats, either. Nobody in the process really has the capability to store anything other than low level components or raw materials, and even then they only keep enough to remain in operation for a few days at best, taking into account the lead times from their suppliers.

Storing raw materials cost money and coordinating multiple choices of interior color and materials add complexity and cost to the manufacturing process. That same seat manufacturer is probably making seats for the bronco sport, as well.

So when you say, just add another option, it's easy! You are not correct, it takes time, planning, and adds more complexity to the build process. There are reasons the Maverick is cheap, and limited interior options is one of them.
THANKS FOR THE BACKUP ON THIS ISSUE!!! I said in another post and will say again, the complexity of logistics and distribution is such that you can get a Ph.D. in the field. Every item added increases the complexity/cost of the build.
Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
THANKS FOR THE BACKUP ON THIS ISSUE!!! I said in another post and will say again, the complexity of logistics and distribution is such that you can get a Ph.D. in the field. Every item added increases the complexity/cost of the build.
No doubt, and it's especially compounded with interior trim options. That seat manufacturer didn't make anything but seats. Other companies would be under contract to provide the other components, and all of them have to be coordinated and have to deliver the right parts in the right order at the right time. For multiple vehicles. Not to mention the logistics of getting parts from all over the world at the right time...

Now add in that Ford is building two vehicles on these same lines and the suppliers are likely supplying parts for two different vehicles with multiple trim levels at the same time... The whole system of vehicle production is incredibly complicated. It's anything but "easy."