First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's another one of these threads - but you know what - I've waited 18 months for truck and I've got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about them!!

OK - I just wanted to toss in a Seinfeld reference.

I ordered a 2024 Ranger Lariat. First retail Ranger order the dealer has placed and I have the lowest priority code so I should get scheduled early for production in September (when it begins).

I was almost CERTAIN I was passing on the Tremor in favor of the Ranger - the Tremor felt a little gimmicky to me because of the plastic front protection for the radiator and lack of low gearing - and the reduced towing capacity.

However in the Ranger - there are some surprising negatives - the MOST glaring to me is that 4A is currently reserved for only the Raptor. With a Tremor trim likely to drop in 2025 with 4A, there is no way to option 4A currently in the Ranger unless in Raptor trim.

Next - the payload for the Ranger checks in at just over 1400 lbs. The payload on the Tremor is 1285 lbs. I was expecting at least 1500 lbs of payload for the Ranger.

Lastly - if you want to be an "early order" and part of Job 1 for the 2024 Ranger - you CANNOT order the 2.7L eb, which I really wanted for towing.

TL:DR - 2024 Ranger doesn't have 4A, significant payload increase, and cant get 2.7 in job 1.

My X-Plan price on my fully loaded Ranger Lariat checks in at $49,622.51 whereas my Maverick Tremor MSRP is $34,800 and my (awaiting dealer confirmation) X-Plan price is likely to be around $33,500.

For more than $16,000 - I am not sure I am getting that full value anymore - and I am likely to stick with my Trem.
Sponsored

BlueOval5.0

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-150 SuperCab XLT, 5.4L 3V, Chrome Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It's another one of these threads - but you know what - I've waited 18 months for truck and I've got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about them!!

I ordered a 2024 Ranger Lariat. First retail Ranger order the dealer has placed and I have the lowest priority code so I should get scheduled early for production in September (when it begins).

I was almost CERTAIN I was passing on the Tremor in favor of the Ranger - the Tremor felt a little gimmicky to me because of the plastic front protection for the radiator and lack of low gearing - and the reduced towing capacity.

However in the Ranger - there are some surprising negatives - the MOST glaring to me is that 4A is currently reserved for only the Raptor. With a Tremor trim likely to drop in 2025 with 4A, there is no way to option 4A currently in the Ranger unless in Raptor trim.

Next - the payload for the Ranger checks in at just over 1400 lbs. The payload on the Tremor is 1285 lbs. I was expecting at least 1500 lbs of payload for the Ranger.

Lastly - if you want to be an "early order" and part of Job 1 for the 2024 Ranger - you CANNOT order the 2.7L eb, which I really wanted for towing.

TL:DR - 2024 Ranger doesn't have 4A, significant payload increase, and cant get 2.7 in job 1.

My X-Plan price on my fully loaded Ranger Lariat checks in at $49,622.51 whereas my Maverick Tremor MSRP is $34,800 and my (awaiting dealer confirmation) X-Plan price is likely to be around $33,500.

For more than $16,000 - I am not sure I am getting that full value anymore - and I am likely to stick with my Trem.
I wanted to order a new Ranger as I enjoyed the 2019 Lariat FX4 we had. I definitely want the 2.7 engine also so we will be waiting awhile. I agree, no 4A is big miss by Ford! It bothered me so much that I called my local dealer about the Raptor version today. Nobody has placed an order for it. Sales Manager would not commit to MSRP as they are only getting one, has to check with dealer principal.

a Raptor is a little under $60k while a Lariat I spaced out was about $52k. Might as well get a Raptor at that difference if it can be had without a markup. I am actually considering it.

Good luck with the Tremor, the dealer I bought my Maverick from wanted $10k over for the Tremor they had, too much for me so I settled on the XLT.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wanted to order a new Ranger as I enjoyed the 2019 Lariat FX4 we had. I definitely want the 2.7 engine also so we will be waiting awhile. I agree, no 4A is big miss by Ford! It bothered me so much that I called my local dealer about the Raptor version today. Nobody has placed an order for it. Sales Manager would not commit to MSRP as they are only getting one, has to check with dealer principal.

a Raptor is a little under $60k while a Lariat I spaced out was about $52k. Might as well get a Raptor at that difference if it can be had without a markup. I am actually considering it.

Good luck with the Tremor, the dealer I bought my Maverick from wanted $10k over for the Tremor they had, too much for me so I settled on the XLT.
4A is a huge miss and the 2.7 on top is another kick in the knackers.

However if the rumors of a 2025 Ranger PHEV are true - I'll happily wait.

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

hey bud. Just wanna chime in here. I really really don’t think the ranger is worth the massive increase compared to competitors. I seriously just can’t swallow it. I say this as someone who was waiting for it. The pricing structure makes no sense

have you decided yet though? My tremor is in production now, but I decided long ago I wasn’t taking it but am curious now depending on numbers once it arrives.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
hey bud. Just wanna chime in here. I really really don’t think the ranger is worth the massive increase compared to competitors. I seriously just can’t swallow it. I say this as someone who was waiting for it. The pricing structure makes no sense

have you decided yet though? My tremor is in production now, but I decided long ago I wasn’t taking it but am curious now depending on numbers once it arrives.
Hey friend! No choices made yet - fairly conflicted. Dealer said barring a Ford miracle move I won't see a MY23 Bronco. My Tremor is somewhere in Arizona and should be here by the end of July, and I am apparently one of only a few thousand nationwide who wanted a ranger that isn't a Raptor.

My XLT Tremor (w/moonroof and SIBL) X-Plan is going to be 33,900 and that still represents one hell of a bargain IMO for what you get. I just find myself wanting more than what it gives.

I was all but buying my Colorado Trail Boss at $44,800 and I'm only not driving it and entirely pissed off at myself for the move because my wife said no. For nearly $45k - it was not great.

My Ranger Lariat (electronic locker, SIBL, side step) pretty much fully loaded with X-Plan is going to run $49k. I guarantee it is worth every bit of that $5k over the Colorado Trail Boss but that doesn't necessarily mean it is worth the increase over the Maverick Tremor.

Nobody has actually seen one in the flesh other than paid blowhards so I am skeptical for now but we'll see. I'm glad I've got the option but I am pretty excited for the Tremor.

So you think you might give it another look?

EDIT: Also - the continued issues with the 2.3EB are a real concern. Ford just can't get it right. Spending $34k on something is different than $49k if/when issues arise. If my Ranger had the 2.7 (not an option right now) I'd likely be sold.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bearsfan647

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EBike - Future Ford Maverick!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey friend! No choices made yet - fairly conflicted. Dealer said barring a Ford miracle move I won't see a MY23 Bronco. My Tremor is somewhere in Arizona and should be here by the end of July, and I am apparently one of only a few thousand nationwide who wanted a ranger that isn't a Raptor.

My XLT Tremor (w/moonroof and SIBL) X-Plan is going to be 33,900 and that still represents one hell of a bargain IMO for what you get. I just find myself wanting more than what it gives.

I was all but buying my Colorado Trail Boss at $44,800 and I'm only not driving it and entirely pissed off at myself for the move because my wife said no. For nearly $45k - it was not great.

My Ranger Lariat (electronic locker, SIBL, side step) pretty much fully loaded with X-Plan is going to run $49k. I guarantee it is worth every bit of that $5k over the Colorado Trail Boss but that doesn't necessarily mean it is worth the increase over the Maverick Tremor.

Nobody has actually seen one in the flesh other than paid blowhards so I am skeptical for now but we'll see. I'm glad I've got the option but I am pretty excited for the Tremor.

So you think you might give it another look?

EDIT: Also - the continued issues with the 2.3EB are a real concern. Ford just can't get it right. Spending $34k on something is different than $49k if/when issues arise. If my Ranger had the 2.7 (not an option right now) I'd likely be sold.
I actually bought a 23 taco a few months ago due to an insane deal and I’ve had no vehicle for over a year, but it was always intended to be flipped/replaced if the numbers work. We’ve looked at a lot of the same trucks, but I think we are deciding between two general ideas (being satisfied with cheap vs splurging). I’m most likely keeping my taco until a 24 or 25 taco, but can’t decide if I should just go cheap cheap and take the tremor in case the market flips. I’ll be following so let me know what you decide!

Chevy trailboss: sounds childish… I actually loved this one, but I’m a brand nerd and I HATE Chevy. The cheapest option by far in that my spec comes out to $38kmsrp after supplier program but can’t get over the brand and possible transmission problems

ford ranger: what I actually wanted to order but the base price increase in each trim level is insane to me. I may order one down the line when more trims and options drop, but I doubt it. My xlt build comes out to around 42k msrp.

ford maverick tremor: realistically probably does everything I want to do, but now that I have a taco I will say the maverick is starting to feel small. That and the scratchable interiors REALLY bother me. Msrp at $31,500 after XPlan and college discount

2023 taco: I actually love every single thing about this, but the usual issues. Awkward seat and kind of boring engine. I’m also a tech nerd and want those new screens. Msrp on this was $42k and I paid $41k OTD a steal

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I actually bought a 23 taco a few months ago due to an insane deal and I’ve had no vehicle for over a year, but it was always intended to be flipped/replaced if the numbers work. We’ve looked at a lot of the same trucks, but I think we are deciding between two general ideas (being satisfied with cheap vs splurging). I’m most likely keeping my taco until a 24 or 25 taco, but can’t decide if I should just go cheap cheap and take the tremor in case the market flips. I’ll be following so let me know what you decide!

Chevy trailboss: sounds childish… I actually loved this one, but I’m a brand nerd and I HATE Chevy. The cheapest option by far in that my spec comes out to $38kmsrp after supplier program but can’t get over the brand and possible transmission problems

ford ranger: what I actually wanted to order but the base price increase in each trim level is insane to me. I may order one down the line when more trims and options drop, but I doubt it. My xlt build comes out to around 42k msrp.

ford maverick tremor: realistically probably does everything I want to do, but now that I have a taco I will say the maverick is starting to feel small. That and the scratchable interiors REALLY bother me. Msrp at $31,500 after XPlan and college discount

2023 taco: I actually love every single thing about this, but the usual issues. Awkward seat and kind of boring engine. I’m also a tech nerd and want those new screens. Msrp on this was $42k and I paid $41k OTD a steal
Awesome, congrats on the Taco! My 2010 with 178k miles still fires up and boringly does whatever ask it to while its only real offense is the seating position. My transfer case is (and has been) finicky whenever you put it in 4L - it's a real fiasco to get it back out.

I'm with you on the scratchable interior AND the tech guy/screens. The standard screens are what drew me to the Colorado. However the interior was SO cramped it was putting a square hole in a round peg. I did not fit.

The Ranger represents a huge increase in price for sure. My biggest concern is that in 2-3 years there may ample $50k options for mid size pick ups with plug in and or full EV capability - I don't want to be holding the bag on a 2.3eb ranger at that time.
Sponsored