smurf2die4

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First time truck owner here with limited experience towing. Wanted to get some insight on what makes up towing capacity.
  1. The 2.0 EcoBoost AWD has a tow capacity of 2,000 lbs.where the tow package gives you a 4,000-lbs capacity. Given they have the same engine, how important are the components of the tow package (3.81 drive ratio, heavy-duty transmission with oil cooler, higher capacity radiator, upgraded cooling fan, trailer brake controller, 7-pin connector), such that they double the capacity?
  2. Follow up to #1: The FX4 package includes the higher capacity radiator upgraded cooling fan and the trailer brake controller and 7-pin connector can be installed aftermarket. Would you still want the 3.81 drive ratio and heavy-duty transmission to tow in excess of the standard 2,000-lbs capacity?
  3. Looking at the Hyundai Santa Cruz, its standard engine (191 hp, 181 lb-ft torque, final drive ratio 3.041:1) is able to tow up to 3,500 lbs. Why, then, is the Maverick’s 2.0 EcoBoost engine limited to 2,000 lbs with 250 hp, 277 lb-ft torque, and final drive ratio 3.63:1 (3.81:1 with 4k tow package)? Is it the difference of the heavy-duty transmission of the 4k tow package?
Thank you!!
Sponsored

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First time truck owner here with limited experience towing. Wanted to get some insight on what makes up towing capacity.
  1. The 2.0 EcoBoost AWD has a tow capacity of 2,000 lbs.where the tow package gives you a 4,000-lbs capacity. Given they have the same engine, how important are the components of the tow package (3.81 drive ratio, heavy-duty transmission with oil cooler, higher capacity radiator, upgraded cooling fan, trailer brake controller, 7-pin connector), such that they double the capacity?
  2. Follow up to #1: The FX4 package includes the higher capacity radiator upgraded cooling fan and the trailer brake controller and 7-pin connector can be installed aftermarket. Would you still want the 3.81 drive ratio and heavy-duty transmission to tow in excess of the standard 2,000-lbs capacity?
  3. Looking at the Hyundai Santa Cruz, its standard engine (191 hp, 181 lb-ft torque, final drive ratio 3.041:1) is able to tow up to 3,500 lbs. Why, then, is the Maverick’s 2.0 EcoBoost engine limited to 2,000 lbs with 250 hp, 277 lb-ft torque, and final drive ratio 3.63:1 (3.81:1 with 4k tow package)? Is it the difference of the heavy-duty transmission of the 4k tow package?
Thank you!!
Very insightful logic in your evidence chain! You centered on it but for a different reason; the enemy of tow capacity is transmission heat. Yes, the key to the capacity doubling is the transmission and transmission cooler. However, that will transfer more heat to the radiator so the higher capacity radiator and fan help dispose of the extra heat.

The 3.81:1 helps by giving the powertrain a bit more mechanical advantage for launch with a trailer and grades. It does not tell the whole story, however. The SC may have 3.51 but the final drive, matched to the individual gearing of the transmission, adds up to the overall gear ratios for each gear. The SC may have a different gear step than the Mav.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Given they have the same engine, how important are the components of the tow package (3.81 drive ratio, heavy-duty transmission with oil cooler, higher capacity radiator, upgraded cooling fan, trailer brake controller, 7-pin connector), such that they double the capacity?
If you live where it's flat and only tow occasionally (a couple times a year), I'd say it's not imperative. But if there are any semblance of hills or mountain passes, I'd want as much help as I can get.

For example, my Frontier 4.0L V6 is rated to tow 6,100lbs. I was towing about 4,500lbs and watched the water temp and the trans temp shoot up past 225F for the 8-mile uphill on southbound I-5 at Grapevine.

Would you still want the 3.81 drive ratio and heavy-duty transmission to tow in excess of the standard 2,000-lbs capacity?
Again, depends on how often you tow, where you tow, and how comfortable you are with exceeding the manufacturer's rating. A lot of small crossovers aren't rated to tow, and yet some folks throw on a hitch and tow small utility trailers and such.

Why, then, is the Maverick’s 2.0 EcoBoost engine limited to 2,000 lbs with 250 hp, 277 lb-ft torque, and final drive ratio 3.63:1 (3.81:1 with 4k tow package)? Is it the difference of the heavy-duty transmission of the 4k tow package?
It's speculation unless we have Ford and Hyundai engineers and decision makers here to explain. Maybe Ford is being conservative, Hyundai is being generous, a mix of the two, or something completely different.

I think Ford takes a bit of a "round down" approach. The previous-gen Explorer is rated to tow 2,000lbs in standard configuration, but the factory tow package ups that to 5,000lbs. The Explorer's factory tow package is similar to the 4K tow on the Maverick. There are several minor equipment additions and changes that, I suppose, add up to give that additional capacity.

Msab13

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
So the standard tow capacity for the maverick is 1500. Add the tow package and its 4000. Is there an official rating For an FX4 as far as towing capabilities?

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Standard Tow capacity is 2000, payload is 1500

Sponsored

Msab13

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Standard Tow capacity is 2000, payload is 1500
Ok. So is any of this upgraded with an FX4, since it is similar to the 4K tow package?

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. To tow more you have to get the 4K tow package. FX4 is for better off-road abilities.

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thank you!!
The biggest issue towing is heat. The upgrades to the rear end, the trans cooler, radiator and fan help with that. With FX4 you only get the radiator and fan support. The heavier rear and cooler is what will give the truck longevity for towing more often. The ratio keeps the gear lower for the transmission to not have to shift prematurely and destroy the clutches and torque convertor.

For me I went with the 4K since it gives enough benefits just with the cooler to give peace of mind when towing.

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
Thank you!!
I want to clarify something... the 4K tow package DOES NOT come with a "heavy duty transmission" it has the standard 8 speed trans with an added transmission oil cooler.
There is no "heavy duty transmission"

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
The biggest issue towing is heat. The upgrades to the rear end, the trans cooler, radiator and fan help with that. With FX4 you only get the radiator and fan support. The heavier rear and cooler is what will give the truck longevity for towing more often. The ratio keeps the gear lower for the transmission to not have to shift prematurely and destroy the clutches and torque convertor.

For me I went with the 4K since it gives enough benefits just with the cooler to give peace of mind when towing.
I don’t think it has a heavy duty rear end, it is front wheel drive biased. It does have numerically higher gear set, though.

Sponsored

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you!!
Follow up #1 / the FX4 package doesn’t come with a brake controller nor a 7 pin connector and if you want to tow more than 2,000 lbs you should upgrade. For the price you can’t beat it. I adde a hitch to my CR-V and it cost me $750 and it only tows 1500 lbs.. Ford just removed the 4K tow package from the 2.0 FWD, my guess is that they found something during testing that they didn’t like and yanked it. Ford has been towing, hauling and building trucks decades before Hyundai was even founded. The Santa Cruz is not even marketed as a truck and its specs are shady that’s why I bought the Maverick. I believe and trust Ford knows what they’re doing that’s why the Maverick carries the built Ford tough moto.