athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just recently made over 3000 mile road trip from Norfolk VA to Backus MN in my new 22 Maverick to pick up my new 2022 16 ft Scamp trailer. The dry weight of the Scamp trailer was 2200 lbs and rough guesstimate that it’s just over 9 ft tall. The 1500 miles four day return trip was made in Tow/Haul mode at between 65 and 70 MPH for most part for an average of 17.5 MPG on premium gas (91 or 93 Octane depending where your at) The Maverick handled extremely well even at the occasional higher speed, the Maverick always had more than enough torque and horse power whether I passing tractor trailers or climbing the hills of Ohio or the mountains of Pennsylvania and West Virginia the Maverick never missed a beat. I’m pretty sure the Maverick will get better fuel economy when towing on flatter terrain and slower speeds but I’ll find that out later. The Maverick was surprisingly very comfortable for such a long trip, I did 15 hours straight the first day of my trip to Minnesota. The ACC with lane centering worked flawlessly and this trip was more leisurely and less like work so I wasn’t fatigued at the end of the day. I found that if towing with ACC turn off the lane centering and use the lane keeping feature instead. The Lane Centering system while towing will makes too many adjustments trying to keep both Maverick and the trailer between the lines and cause trailer sway. The 2022 Ford Maverick tows and preforms much better than I ever expected, I Truly believe that I made a sound decision and the best choice to truck ownership.

39E1FF2A-8724-4032-BCCE-9F05D49CD016.jpeg

847AF8B5-A9E6-48E0-9F1D-C335622B79D5.jpeg

AA2AD88E-6D14-46D8-A254-B4F65BB9C25C.jpeg
How do you like the Scamp? I love the look and the weight, but being 6'4" wasn't sure how much I'd have to fold up to sleep in there :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mav2Scamp

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do you like the Scamp? I love the look and the weight, but being 6'4" wasn't sure how much I'd have to fold up to sleep in there :)
You might fit without folding but it’s going to be close.

rtkegger

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Silverado
With an approximate dry weight of 2,000 lbs, the Scamp is well within limits for a Maverick with a 4K tow package. I am in the process of purchasing a Rove lite 14fl. It has a dry weight of 1510 pounds to pull behind my XLT with a 4K tow package. I hope I don't even know it's back there. I am glad to see that the Mav does pull an RV well.
In regards to pulling something that may push or exceed the 4K limit, while the Mav may pull it with no short term problems, what are the longer term impacts on the engine and transmission? And more importantly, I did not see anything specific in the 4K tow package equipment group stating the breaks were being upgraded. If as I suspect, the Mav does not use larger breaks on the 4K package, this could be a disaster. In my experience, most people do not have the breaks on their RV adjusted regularly. Break adjustment coupled with and overweight trailer on hilly or mountainous roads could result in break failure. Can the Maverick pull something is only half the question, the other half is can it stop.

OP
OP
Mav2Scamp

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With an approximate dry weight of 2,000 lbs, the Scamp is well within limits for a Maverick with a 4K tow package. I am in the process of purchasing a Rove lite 14fl. It has a dry weight of 1510 pounds to pull behind my XLT with a 4K tow package. I hope I don't even know it's back there. I am glad to see that the Mav does pull an RV well.
In regards to pulling something that may push or exceed the 4K limit, while the Mav may pull it with no short term problems, what are the longer term impacts on the engine and transmission? And more importantly, I did not see anything specific in the 4K tow package equipment group stating the breaks were being upgraded. If as I suspect, the Mav does not use larger breaks on the 4K package, this could be a disaster. In my experience, most people do not have the breaks on their RV adjusted regularly. Break adjustment coupled with and overweight trailer on hilly or mountainous roads could result in break failure. Can the Maverick pull something is only half the question, the other half is can it stop.
I don’t doubt the Maverick will have any issues with stopping a 1510 lbs. trailer being that it has to stop its payload of 1500 lbs. and standard 2000 lbs. of towing. Some states regulations do not require trailer breaks until 3500 lbs so I would think that would be the limit of the Maverick’s breaks. My advice don’t do anything that your not comfortable with that way your always confident in your ability to stop.
Sponsored