Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Not sure where you are located but there aren't a bunch of Powder Coat Shops around in every town. You may even have to take them to a larger city to have it done. And believe me, it's not a sit and wait while they do them. You could wait unto a week or more depending how busy they are.
Sponsored

inferno

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Chevy Colorado, 2022 Ford Maverick
My plan is to just spray paint my wheels until the aftermarket companies come out with something i like. If you prep the steel wheel correctly and put on a few good coats your wheels will look great and will last quite a while.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
personally, I like the look of the steelies. functional, utilitarian - like a truck wheel. They are also the smallest which means replacement tires are cheaper too. I've had 4 Rangers: 1987, 1993, 2000, 2006 and I never felt fancier wheels were important in the big picture. Besides, I can't look at them with satisfaction while I'm driving, so basically I would only get to enjoy them when the truck is parked somewhere and all the rest of the time everybody else but me gets to admire them :oops:

My plan is drive the truck as equipped until original tires worn out, then replace them with snows and find another set of wheels someplace (maybe gently used takeoff set from XLT or Lariat) for the rest of the year.

villageidiot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many many in the past, none currently
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure where you are located but there aren't a bunch of Powder Coat Shops around in every town. You may even have to take them to a larger city to have it done. And believe me, it's not a sit and wait while they do them. You could wait unto a week or more depending how busy they are.
for me, I put the car on jackstands, and wait a week to 10 days to have it done. I’m in a populated area of car Mecca in Southern California, and while there are a dozen or so powder coaters within a 10 mile radius, probably more. There’s only 2 that I use because I know they do good work.

Tbone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Im cheap. I don't care for the steel color. What are my options, I don't want to paint them myself (didn't turn out great on my taco). Can you have steelies wrapped? Can I get cheap clip-on hub caps?

What are your guys plans for the steelies?
Yes there are a ton of hub caps and also trim rings.

Sponsored

jjones252

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Looking at photos of the steelies installed on the XL - when you paint or powdercoat the wheels, do you think you should also paint or powdercoat the plastic piece that covers lugnuts? I assume its plastic.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't know if his came from the factory with this black finish or if he did it but it is a sharp finish. When the rims hit the sun they have a little bit of a dull shine to them. Hoping mine can come out this good either DIY or body shop. Credit Roadchoseme youtube channel.

If I could get this finish and a black softopper I may have to switch my color to AREA 51 it is a good combination and add some adventure trail marks on Maverick for accent!

Ford Maverick Steelie color change - options? 1629916904474

ProfBaldie

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback 2013 & 2020
personally, I like the look of the steelies. functional, utilitarian - like a truck wheel. They are also the smallest which means replacement tires are cheaper too. I've had 4 Rangers: 1987, 1993, 2000, 2006 and I never felt fancier wheels were important in the big picture. Besides, I can't look at them with satisfaction while I'm driving, so basically I would only get to enjoy them when the truck is parked somewhere and all the rest of the time everybody else but me gets to admire them :oops:

My plan is drive the truck as equipped until original tires worn out, then replace them with snows and find another set of wheels someplace (maybe gently used takeoff set from XLT or Lariat) for the rest of the year.
I’m with you, Old Ranchero. Also like the utilitarian look of steelies. Saves money and looks functional. May make use of/borrow your plan to replace after 36K miles, if the tires hold out until then.

cinquecentonero

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im cheap. I don't care for the steel color. What are my options, I don't want to paint them myself (didn't turn out great on my taco). Can you have steelies wrapped? Can I get cheap clip-on hub caps?

What are your guys plans for the steelies?
I'm getting mine powder coated black and putting Falken 245 65R 17s on them

Sponsored

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
I'm getting mine powder coated black and putting Falken 245 65R 17s on them
I an planning something similiar, but I am having the XLT rims powder coated black and bought Toyos 245/65/17. Truck is scheduled for delivery on 11/1. Scheduling an appt for 11/3.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Gun Metal Gray ... Powder Coating is better (more durable/ longer lasting) than Painting which is better than Plasti-Dipping that would only last 3-months before starting to peel-off.
3-month plastidipping? Say whaaaat... this whole front grill is actually bright chrome, plastidipped April of 2019, so more than a couple years ago and looks the same as the day I did it, even w/ truck parked outside in Texas elements.

Refreshing plastidip when it does seem UV damaged would just involve grabbing your rattle can and applying another coat or two.

Powder coating is certainly more durable and can look nicer too, but I just wanted to point out that 3-months lifespan is silly.

Ford Maverick Steelie color change - options? 5298nkk

^ recent photo ~ 1 month ago

Granted I'm in TX, but here's a winter review for plastidipped wheels after 3.5 years:

Nice thing about the dip though too is if you change your mind and decide you want a different color like bronze, you can just apply that on top of the black plastidip.

Last edited:
Reactions: HPR

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
3-month plastidipping? Say whaaaat... this whole front grill is actually bright chrome, plastidipped April of 2019, so more than a couple years ago and looks the same as the day I did it, even w/ truck parked outside in Texas elements.

Refreshing plastidip when it does seem UV damaged would just involve grabbing your rattle can and applying another coat or two.

Powder coating is certainly more durable and can look nicer too, but I just wanted to point out that 3-months lifespan is silly.

Ford Maverick Steelie color change - options? 5298nkk

^ recent photo ~ 1 month ago

Granted I'm in TX, but here's a winter review for plastidipped wheels after 3.5 years:

Nice thing about the dip though too is if you change your mind and decide you want a different color like bronze, you can just apply that on top of the black plastidip.

The grille of that RAM looks beautiful. Did you take the grille off the truck to do it or just taped everything off? What about behind the grille, how do you protect that from getting sprayed?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The grille of that RAM looks beautiful. Did you take the grille off the truck to do it or just taped everything off? What about behind the grille, how do you protect that from getting sprayed?
It pops off pretty easily, just four bolts I think, and I was taking it off to upgrade my headlights anyway which requires grill removal. Went pretty easily, I just plopped it on the ground on a bunch of flattened out cardboard and went at it with the plastidip, first time attempt. I did a light coat at first and everything after that was a wet coat, forget how many.

Originally it was meant to be temporary, to see if I liked it, and if so I would buy a black grill that they do make, but it held up fine so I just let it be.
Sponsored