Sponsored

Steelie color change - options?

dawoogar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Im cheap. I don't care for the steel color. What are my options, I don't want to paint them myself (didn't turn out great on my taco). Can you have steelies wrapped? Can I get cheap clip-on hub caps?

What are your guys plans for the steelies?
Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Im cheap. I don't care for the steel color. What are my options, I don't want to paint them myself (didn't turn out great on my taco). Can you have steelies wrapped? Can I get cheap clip-on hub caps?

Can they be powder coated?

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Powder Coating Black or Gun Metal Gray ...

Ford Maverick Steelie color change - options? Bronco Sport Steelies

Leand60

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking old school trim rings.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dawoogar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Id be fine with powder coating. How does that work, I take the truck somewhere they remove wheels and tires, powder coat and reinstall?

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the photo black or gun metal gray? Just asking for clarification.

Also, is powder coating cheaper than painting?
Gun Metal Gray ... Powder Coating is better (more durable/ longer lasting) than Painting which is better than Plasti-Dipping that would only last 3-months before starting to peel-off.

Sponsored

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Id be fine with powder coating. How does that work, I take the truck somewhere they remove wheels and tires, powder coat and reinstall?
I doubt powder coaters have tire machines. You would take them bare wheels. By the time you pay for removing tires, powder coating, then remount and balance, you could buy a nice set of aftermarket wheels.

VetteNZMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I looked at getting the steelies on my '87 Ranger media blasted and powder coated, must have called 5 places in NC and you are in at least $100 / wheel. That's you doing all the tire removal and I'm not sure how quick this can be done. Those wheels are something like 15" so I found steel trailer wheels at Summit Racing for $25 each shipped and that's what I have been running for a few years now. Look ok BUT they are not the roundest wheels - there is some high speed vibration due to their out of round state.

villageidiot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many many in the past, none currently
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
im a steelies kinda guy.... and i don't mind spending money to swap colors. I'm also a mechanic by trade, and have access to whatever machinery i want to use, however, we don't do tires in house, but my tire guy will dismount/remount/balance for $15/tire. I'm my area it ranges from $50-70/wheel to have powder coated.

my wifes fiat 500 has steelies, i had them powder coated baby blue. i then took the lug bolts, chucked em in the lathe, center drilled them, and tapped them for an M6 thread. i then made little baby moon style center caps on the lathe and mill out of 1/4 inch aluminum plate. finished off with a clean double pin stripe.
Ford Maverick Steelie color change - options? fiat wheels
Ford Maverick Steelie color change - options? fiat stripe

on my former 2018 honda fit, had them powdercoated charcoal metallic, and used 90's style chrome honda center caps, looked great. i also swapped to a different tire size and a stickier sportier tire.

Ford Maverick Steelie color change - options? fit wheels

Ford Maverick Steelie color change - options? honda fit

my 2020 ranger had steelies, they did a banger job with the sparkle silver, and nice center cap.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

For $100 you can either plastidip or vinyl wrap (spray) them. Just make sure you clean them and put down 5-7 light coats per wheel. If you don’t put down enough coats it can be a PITA to peel off the plastidip.
The only time I’ve had issues with peeling was when I needed to replace a flat tire; the tire mounting rubbed the edge clean.
Sponsored