Sponsored

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forte GT, Prius Prime, Forte GT-line, Maverick awd
  • Banned
Finally found a couple hours to put the Steeda rear sway bar on. It seems to be exactly what I was looking for. The handling is right where I want it and the ride quality is still there. That is the nice thing about rear sway bars, they have very little effect on ride quality but make a big difference in the corners. This one is 1 inch diameter and is rated at 280lb, 350lb and 450lb. The factory bar is rated at 270lb. I decided to go with the 350lb setting. I have an off ramp that has not changed in 20yrs. At the slowest point it is between 45-52 mph with all the sport compacts I have modified over the years. With the Sumitomo 245/55R18 on 18x8 45mm offset wheels and the Steeda rear sway bar on the middle setting I was able to do 50mph in the same area. I was debating about Eibach springs but after putting on the Steeda rear bar I don't think I will bother. Since the truck handles this good the ride height does not bother me. I am not a big fan of changing factory suspension geometry unless I really need to.

The install was not bad, you do need a good assortment of tools. T50, T40, 18mm box and socket, Impact, swivel, extension, 13mm box, 10mm socket, clip removal tool, 2 or 3 jacks large flat head, patience. I jacked the back end up on both sides as high as I could with small 6x6 blocks on the jack pad. Take off both wheels, then disconnect both endlinks from the factory bar. I started mine with a 18mm impact then finished with the t40 and the 18mm box wrench. You might need to jack one side of the suspension up slightly to get rid of the tension on the sway bar to get the end links out. That's why I said you might need 3 jacks, going back together won't be an issue. Then remove the shields that are over the brackets for the bushings. Next is the bushing brackets , passenger side is the 13mm and the drivers side is T50. Now remove/pry off the metal brackets from the rubber bushings so you can pull the sway bar out the passenger side suspension. If you have to force it your not doing it right. If you take your time and stay patient it will come out over the right rear trailing arm. It does rub on the muffler heat shield while taking it out but there is just enough room.

Ford Maverick Steeda Rear Sway Bar DIY install and review IMG_0591.JPG
Ford Maverick Steeda Rear Sway Bar DIY install and review IMG_0592.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
NICE!!!! I was hoping for something since the Helwig rear anti-sway bar helped my Jeep JK Wrangler tremendously....and it seems a little cheaper than what I paid for the Helwig bar

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the Ford engineers screwed up and forgot to include a sway bar?

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
This is an upgrade over the stock rear swaybar that is already on the truck. This sway bar is for the AWD not the FWD or hybrid

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 R.I.P.
Hey man, not trying to blow up your spot, but based on the pictures you posted with the links in the last holes, you would be on the softest setting. Otherwise, good to hear that you like the bar and it's working well for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Hey man, not trying to blow up your spot, but based on the pictures you posted with the links in the last holes, you would be on the softest setting. Otherwise, good to hear that you like the bar and it's working well for you.
You are correct. I actually realized that when I took the pictures and then switched it. :)

After a little more thought I decided to swap it back to the 350lb middle setting. I don't want the wife or kids having the rear come around in the rain since they drive it on occasion as well. The stiffest setting might be a shade too aggressive to be safe in slippery conditions.

Last edited:

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 R.I.P.
You are correct. I actually realized that when I took the pictures and then switched it. :)
Haha good call. Thanks for posting the review. I saw you didn't want to lower, but what about some better dampers (Bilstein, Koni replacements) if/when they're released? Used to have an E46 with bilsteins and factory sport suspension. I miss that car, perfect confident ride

OP
OP
Monty1719

Monty1719

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Haha good call. Thanks for posting the review. I saw you didn't want to lower, but what about some better dampers (Bilstein, Koni replacements) if/when they're released? Used to have an E46 with bilsteins and factory sport suspension. I miss that car, perfect confident ride
I like Bilstein for street and Koni for autocross but I am worried it will make the ride too harsh for a daily driver. I actually changed the sway bar to the middle setting because I am a little nervous that is too aggressive for slippery weather. Plus the wife and kids drive the Maverick at times.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the Ford engineers screwed up and forgot to include a sway bar?
The FWD has a rear sway bar integrated into the rear axle. So no issues there