First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Possibly looking for an alternative to a fiberglass cap, and thinking about a Soft Top. I would consider a soft top if it could be easily installed and removed when needed. They're like a third of the price of an fiberglass one. For anyone that has owned or used a Soft Top/Cap, is it worth the money, is the quality there, and would you consider one for your Maverick?
Sponsored

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the soft roll up takes up the least space but it just has velcro sealing the perimeter edge. So there is not much security.
I have settled on the Hard Roll Up. It rolls up to expose the whole bed and locks down along the edges when you roll it down. I also like that it sits flush with the top of the bed rails. It can be removed with out too much effort.
The fiberglass cap seals the best but are $$ and not easy to remove and store.

OP
OP
altomav

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the soft roll up takes up the least space but it just has velcro sealing the perimeter edge. So there is not much security.
I have settled on the Hard Roll Up. It rolls up to expose the whole bed and locks down along the edges when you roll it down. I also like that it sits flush with the top of the bed rails. It can be removed with out too much effort.
The fiberglass cap seals the best but are $$ and not easy to remove and store.
Security is important too. Thanks.

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
Security is important too. Thanks.
I've been looking at this: https://www.bestop.com/products/supertop-for-truck-2-ford-2015-2021-f-150/
It's a soft top that collapses away completely when not in use, and the price point is comparable with tonneau covers I've been looking at. I wouldn't get it if you live/work in a shady area though - while the soft cover itself clamps down to the sides of the bed and wouldn't be easy to steal/remove, I don't think it would protect the cargo inside it from determined thieves.

It's attractive to me because I only need a cover for rainy days, long drives, etc., and I want something that's easy to stow. I was planning on a tonneau but the extra space I'd get from the soft top is appealing. I don't plan to/need to leave anything unsecured in the bed that could be stolen.

I also have two dogs who road trip with me often, and if the soft top is secure enough, it might be the superior place to transport them when the weather is warm enough. No worries about pet hair in my XLT's cloth seats. I've seen some reviews seconding this.

Only questions I have are about aerodynamics/road noise. Otherwise, I'm pretty much sold if they make one for the Mav.

Edit:

Last edited:

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been looking at this: https://www.bestop.com/products/supertop-for-truck-2-ford-2015-2021-f-150/
It's a soft top that collapses away completely when not in use, and the price point is comparable with tonneau covers I've been looking at. I wouldn't get it if you live/work in a shady area though - while the soft cover itself clamps down to the sides of the bed and wouldn't be easy to steal/remove, I don't think it would protect the cargo inside it from determined thieves.

It's attractive to me because I only need a cover for rainy days, long drives, etc., and I want something that's easy to stow. I was planning on a tonneau but the extra space I'd get from the soft top is appealing. I don't plan to/need to leave anything unsecured in the bed that could be stolen.

I also have two dogs who road trip with me often, and if the soft top is secure enough, it might be the superior place to transport them when the weather is warm enough. No worries about pet hair in my XLT's cloth seats. I've seen some reviews seconding this.

Only questions I have are about aerodynamics/road noise. Otherwise, I'm pretty much sold if they make one for the Mav.
I agree, on my 150 I had a soft tri fold from Tonno Pro and it lasted 4 brutal winters no problem I wanted a hard tri fold (my ego I guess) and gave my soft one to a friend (still using it) so I’m thinking the soft roll up for my Wife, I mean $369.00 that’s fine and we live in one of the safest states in the Union (Maine) and no worries (at this point) about thefts and where she parks. I just hope it can hold one to two feet of snow on it;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
altomav

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Edit:
I will be considering one of these, essentially for the same reasons you mention. Thank you.

bpcooper14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually saw one of these on another truck today. I'm hoping that one comes out for the Maverick. I don't need a hard top cap often (and they are wicked expensive) and with the soft top you can leave it attached and "open" if you don't feel like taking it off. I've seen a few videos of the softtopper that is similar to the Bestop mentioned above. It fits my needs for about a third of the price for the cap that Ford is offering

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
someone else on here had mentioned https://softopper.com/ and they appear interested and looking for a truck to use for a model:
Thank you for your interest in our Softoppers! Currently we are looking for a truck to make the model on. If you or anyone you know has a Maverick, lives in Colorado, and is willing to let us borrow it, you would be compensated by getting a free Softopper! If not, I will put you on the email list and when the model is created, we will email you!

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I actually saw one of these on another truck today. I'm hoping that one comes out for the Maverick. I don't need a hard top cap often (and they are wicked expensive) and with the soft top you can leave it attached and "open" if you don't feel like taking it off. I've seen a few videos of the softtopper that is similar to the Bestop mentioned above. It fits my needs for about a third of the price for the cap that Ford is offering
Just a note that soft topper was bought and now owned by bestop... Or might be the other way around! Either way, same company selling slightly varied products at this point!

cucumber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Outback
Just a note that soft topper was bought and now owned by bestop... Or might be the other way around! Either way, same company selling slightly varied products at this point!
I visited Softopper's website today to look and according to recent reviews, it seems like a lot of people are having trouble with the company (big, month-long delays with receiving orders). Possibly an issue with the new management? Personally, I think I'm going to stay away from them and go with BesTop.

It helps that I like the BesTop more to begin with, too.
Sponsored