First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mazda 3 Hatch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since there is some fresh powder hitting the slopes out west and some flurries on the East Coast. I wanted to see if anyone, had any ski setups that they have been using and they really like. Would love to see some pictures to get ideas for the future. I know that a pair of regular skis won't fit in the bed neatly, but would love to hear/see any set up you guys got.

Also if your hybrid owner would love to hear any reviews of how your truck handled getting to the slopes.

Ford Maverick Ski Set Up on Mavericks? Unknown
Sponsored

New England Aaron

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Luckily snowboards fit fine diagonal, I have fit 4 in there with gear. Not sure about ski length.

OP
OP
LumberJack36

LumberJack36

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mazda 3 Hatch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Luckily snowboards fit fine diagonal, I have fit 4 in there with gear. Not sure about ski length.
Nice, sadly skis are like 168cm so a bit over 5 feet. Do you have a hybrid?

New England Aaron

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
AWD with a level and Wildpeaks. She did great in close to a foot of snow a few times in VT last year. I think you wouldn't have much of an issue with just some decent a/t tires though.

tellyouwhat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick Hybrid Alto Lux BAP 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
sweet, good to know, I was hoping could just toss boards in the back. You have a tonneau?

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since there is some fresh powder hitting the slopes out west and some flurries on the East Coast. I wanted to see if anyone, had any ski setups that they have been using and they really like. Would love to see some pictures to get ideas for the future. I know that a pair of regular skis won't fit in the bed neatly, but would love to hear/see any set up you guys got.

Also if your hybrid owner would love to hear any reviews of how your truck handled getting to the slopes.

Unknown.jpeg
I lived very close to the Canadian border for almost 20 years, Vermont then New Hampshire. I never had anything but FWD winter beaters (92 Toyota Tercel and 98 Mazda Protege). I didn't like subjecting my primary vehicle to the winters and salt for daily driving. With fwd and snow tires I never got stuck once nor could I not go somewhere even in the craziest storms. During 2012 I drove through a blizzard in the middle of the night to get to my brother's bachelor party and had zero issues with my snow tire equipped FWD when AWD cars and SUVs with all season tires were getting stuck left and right. It's all about the tires. If you're going to be traveling to the slopes regularly sell or trade in your OEM Continentals and replace them with something at the very least 3 peak rated. What most people don't realize about snow rated tires is that it's not just the tread and siping, the tires are made with higher percentages of natural rubber and stay soft at lower temps whereas the rubber used in all season tires like the OEM Continentals gets too hard to be effective in colder temps.

Most tire sites give you the ability to filter tires based on 3 peak rating. The Nokians below would probably be my recommendation because for one, I think they're one of the best snow tire manufacturers in the world (Although these are not dedicated snow tires) they'll do everything you need, are relatively quiet, 3 peak rated and weigh in at just 27 pounds each to help preserve your hybrid mileage. You could probably even go up to a beefier 235/65R17 with minimal affect on your MPGs.

Ford Maverick Ski Set Up on Mavericks? Outpost APT

OP
OP
LumberJack36

LumberJack36

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mazda 3 Hatch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD with a level and Wildpeaks. She did great in close to a foot of snow a few times in VT last year. I think you wouldn't have much of an issue with just some decent a/t tires though.

Yah I was thinking some meaty winter tires should do just fine on the hybrid.

OP
OP
LumberJack36

LumberJack36

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mazda 3 Hatch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I lived very close to the Canadian border for almost 20 years, Vermont then New Hampshire. I never had anything but FWD winter beaters (92 Toyota Tercel and 98 Mazda Protege). I didn't like subjecting my primary vehicle to the winters and salt for daily driving. With fwd and snow tires I never got stuck once nor could I not go somewhere even in the craziest storms. During 2012 I drove through a blizzard in the middle of the night to get to my brother's bachelor party and had zero issues with my snow tire equipped FWD when AWD cars and SUVs with all season tires were getting stuck left and right. It's all about the tires. If you're going to be traveling to the slopes regularly sell or trade in your OEM Continentals and replace them with something at the very least 3 peak rated. What most people don't realize about snow rated tires is that it's not just the tread and siping, the tires are made with higher percentages of natural rubber and stay soft at lower temps whereas the rubber used in all season tires like the OEM Continentals gets too hard to be effective in colder temps.

Most tire sites give you the ability to filter tires based on 3 peak rating. The Nokians below would probably be my recommendation because for one, I think they're one of the best snow tire manufacturers in the world (Although these are not dedicated snow tires) they'll do everything you need, are relatively quiet, 3 peak rated and weigh in at just 27 pounds each to help preserve your hybrid mileage. You could probably even go up to a beefier 235/65R17 with minimal affect on your MPGs.

Outpost APT.jpg
Thanks for the input, sadly I don't think I'll get my truck before the snow melts but I'm planning on getting some meaty snow tires.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Diagonal in the bed and suspended at the front or rear bed corner if needed. Should fit fine....

Sponsored

Last edited: