First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The order form is not a reservation. it says Preview Order and Order Summary at the very top. Just like a Purchase Order, I cannot imagine a jude saying the price on a unigned PO means nothing.
If the order form is "Just like a Purchase Order," as you say, then doesn't it have to be accepted by the dealership to become an enforceable contract? If not, why not?

BTW, you will find dozens of legal sites on the web that say the same thing (see below). All seem in line with the offer-acceptance principles set out in UCC § 2-206(1)(b). Are they wrong?

Purchase Orders
A purchase order is an offer to purchase goods. It is created by the prospective buyer and sent to the prospective seller. At the point the PO is sent, it is not a contract. There are two ways that a purchase order becomes a contract:
  • One way is if the seller accepts the terms of the purchase order by signing the PO or otherwise expressing acceptance in writing.
  • The other way is by the seller's providing the ordered goods.
Purchase Agreements
A purchase agreement is a legal document that is signed by both the buyer and the seller. Once it is signed by both parties, it is a legally binding contract. The seller can only accept the offer by signing the document, not by just providing the goods.

Purchase Order vs. Purchase Agreement | legalzoom.com
Sponsored

Poizon_iv_19

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
My abysmal experience with a local dealership buying a eco boost taught me a thing or two. #1 is RECORD EVERYTHING. Documents signed and telephone calls recorded, I downloaded an app on my phone just for the purpose of keeping all my complaint calls documented called “TapeACall” free seven day trial. #2 after they give you what they tell you is their best offer then you step away and call the bank they are planning to use. The “special” rates they were only going to give us if we caved and bought the warranties are listed in black and white on the banks website! Wish I would have thought about these two things while in the middle of being nearly thrown out of the dealership for asking questions about why they couldn’t price protect mine. Y’all I’m a sweet person and my husband is a preacher with a degree in math and a doctorate in education. I wish with everything I had that I had this convo on tape to send to the media. It was outrageous

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At the point the PO is sent, it is not a contract.
I wouldn't expect to win a lawsuit unless the dealer had countersigned a doc that had the total OTD price. The DORA ain't OTD price, and most dealers didn't sign the DORAs.

The legalese doesn't matter anyways.

If it costs a consumer $5-10k in legal fees to win $5-10k in markup, then it's Net $0. Maybe a small win if someone tries small claims court without hiring a lawyer. Eitherway, you might win being right.

If folks had paused when the markups started happening and coordinated a class action lawsuit, then maybe it'd be worth it -- but I'm no lawyer.
Sponsored