First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was passed by what I thought was going to be an HPR Maverick today. I only caught a glimpse of the 2 doors on the side and the short bed with an extender on it. I had to look in the other mirror and came back to watch the tailgate come into view. What? No Maverick? instead, I saw Explorer on a badge in the corner. What the heck I thought. The explorer came as a pickup.

Well, a search of the infamous internought provides this link to all I needed to know. Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Wikipedia

I never knew they made such a thing. I must have always looked at them as Ranger Pickups. But they were based on the Explorer model that happened to look a lot like the Ranger. Funny that they were sized in between the F-150 and Ranger for some reason.

Must not have been very popular as I said, I just thought of Ranger Club cab whenever one passed by in the past.

Maybe they were just too pricy to be popular. But I liked it. But then I own a 96 Ranger and am waiting for the Maverick to arrive next month.
Sponsored

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very interesting and a good read thank you for the post 👻😎👍

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

They were reasonably popular, even had mutliple generations of em. They may have looked midsized because of all their added plastic and often sat taller. But they were Explorer based, which was Ranger based. Inside it would feel very similar to a Ranger width wise. There never was a Ranger 4 door. There was only the Explorer SportTrac. It had its issues like everything else. My sister had one and it did her well for its second 100,000 miles.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If my Mav didn't get built, I might have seriously looked at one of those, they're pretty available used where I live, for reasonable cost. Not a hybrid, of course, but an old school solid trucklette. I pass more of those where I live than I pass Mavs!

Mav230

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
WC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its a Ford Ranger!!
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I loved the Sport trac adrenaline
Ford Maverick Saw an interesting vehicle today. ford-explorer-sport-trac-2009-ford-explorer-sport-trac-adrenalin-cars-trucks-calgary-kijiji-wh
Sponsored