Reservation Urgency?

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I've been saying this for the past couple of years. When Ford redesigned the Escape, it was obvious what they were doing. There's a reason why I call the Escape a bloated Focus.
  • The Escape is the new Focus
  • The Edge is the new Fusion
  • The Bronco Sport is the new Escape
  • The Maverick is... another Focus
The EcoSport, in my opinion, is not getting renewed or updated. It's a failed experiment. And with 1) the Sport being more compact than the Escape and 2) rumor has it that Ford is making another crossover type vehicle, I think it will get axed in 2022. And if the Maverick indeed starts out at $19,999 base price, Ford will have the slots in place to dominate the truck market. Think about it:
  • Their entry level vehicle is now a crossover truck
  • Their crown jewel is the F-150
  • They have a performance truck sub-brand in the Raptor
  • Their heavy lifter is the SuperDuty series (F-250 through F-650)
  • They have both hybrid and all electric trucks in the F-150 Hybrid and Lightning
Ford is doubling down on what they are now known for: trucks (and SUV's to a degree in the Explorer and Bronco). It's a risk, but if they can fill their whitespaces that used to be occupied by sedans with equivalent trucks and SUV's, they now have a chance to build brand loyalty in a different way. Maverick and potential-future-unnamed-crossover owners will grow up the line as their needs increase (to Escapes/Bronco Sports/Rangers then Explorers/Broncos/F-150s and so-on)and potential go back down the line as their needs decrease. The only thing hold Ford back now is their infamous achilleas heel: quality assurance and control.
ford has been doing a lot better with their quality control lately. Hence why they teamed up with Chevy to make their transmissions because we all know those Dual clutches and 4 speed from last decade were TRASH.

and they completely redid the cooling systems on the ecoboosts after only 5 years.

I love fords but I would never buy one from 2004-2012 with a few exemptions.

that being said your spot on about the new market.

and ford executives hinted at the Ecosport will get replaced with the Ford Puma from Europe.

Much better looking crossover.
Sponsored

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
I've been saying this for the past couple of years. When Ford redesigned the Escape, it was obvious what they were doing. There's a reason why I call the Escape a bloated Focus.
  • The Escape is the new Focus
  • The Edge is the new Fusion
  • The Bronco Sport is the new Escape
  • The Maverick is... another Focus
The EcoSport, in my opinion, is not getting renewed or updated. It's a failed experiment. And with 1) the Sport being more compact than the Escape and 2) rumor has it that Ford is making another crossover type vehicle, I think it will get axed in 2022. And if the Maverick indeed starts out at $19,999 base price, Ford will have the slots in place to dominate the truck market. Think about it:
  • Their entry level vehicle is now a crossover truck
  • Their crown jewel is the F-150
  • They have a performance truck sub-brand in the Raptor
  • Their heavy lifter is the SuperDuty series (F-250 through F-650)
  • They have both hybrid and all electric trucks in the F-150 Hybrid and Lightning
Ford is doubling down on what they are now known for: trucks (and SUV's to a degree in the Explorer and Bronco). It's a risk, but if they can fill their whitespaces that used to be occupied by sedans with equivalent trucks and SUV's, they now have a chance to build brand loyalty in a different way. Maverick and potential-future-unnamed-crossover owners will grow up the line as their needs increase (to Escapes/Bronco Sports/Rangers then Explorers/Broncos/F-150s and so-on)and potential go back down the line as their needs decrease. The only thing hold Ford back now is their infamous achilleas heel: quality assurance and control.
I'm still holding out hope that they offer the Ford Bronco version of something like this as an entry level small compact type for the Bronco brand in the next 10 years...
Ford Maverick Reservation Urgency? Untitled

FYI: This is from a Japanese customizer DAMD of the Suzuki Jimny from 2019

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
eRock92 is spot on. Ford wants to be the Truck Company.

A comment on reliability though. I had a Mazda B2300 pickup which was actually a Ford Ranger. That thing has 120,000 miles on the original clutch when I sold it with zero problems. Literally tires, oil and washer fluid were the only expenses other than gas. I also had an Windstar minivan. After 130,000 miles the only issue was a power window motor that had to get replaced. Then there was the Freestyle. The heated seat went out on the driver's side. It was great until the dealer put regular transmission fluid in the CVT. After that the mileage just descended slowly until the car went on to a new owner. I just have not seen reliability issues with the Fords I've had.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
eRock92 is spot on. Ford wants to be the Truck Company.

A comment on reliability though. I had a Mazda B2300 pickup which was actually a Ford Ranger. That thing has 120,000 miles on the original clutch when I sold it with zero problems. Literally tires, oil and washer fluid were the only expenses other than gas. I also had an Windstar minivan. After 130,000 miles the only issue was a power window motor that had to get replaced. Then there was the Freestyle. The heated seat went out on the driver's side. It was great until the dealer put regular transmission fluid in the CVT. After that the mileage just descended slowly until the car went on to a new owner. I just have not seen reliability issues with the Fords I've had.
My family has had 9 Fords total from 2001 to now. We've only had 2 lemons: the 2001 Explorer (the cruise control recall) and my old 2014 Focus SE (I don't even have to explain that one lol). Granted, my Focus survived almost 7 years of 141,000 with most mileage being done in those last 3 years. I know there is never a mass produced vehicle without some lemons, it's just Ford's past makes any recall they issue news worthy. The slow rollout of the Bronco on top of the semiconductor and supplier issues isn't helping. Time will only tell. If the new 1.5L 3-cyl engine ends up having a long life with that cylinder deactivating feature, it will a major slam dunk to dispel the reliability/quality memes (except from GMC fans). As a 3-cyl owner, I'm rooting for it. I'm hoping that belt in oil that people are nervous about actually last longer than anticipated.

Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, will a 2.5l Hybrid as standard, for 19995.00 help to create reservation demand?
If they can make ANY version of the truck for $19995 Ill literally eat my hat. Ive said that the whole time, for over a year now, that rumored base price is absurd. You certainly wouldnt be getting any more than the 1.5 engine and front wheel drive at that price either.

If they DID manage to get that one cheap you're looking at a completely base, rubber floor, rear seat delete, peel-formance white, all gray body plastic body panel, fleet model. Thats exactly how Id probably buy it but i dont hold out any hope they'll be that cheap to start since its ludicrous. Hell, the base Ecosport STARTS at that price and all that thing is is basically a lifted Fiesta hatchback. You're telling me a truck built off the Escape platform can match that at any build level?

Actually I just checked, the Ecosport now starts at over $20k before delivery. So not even the base Ecosport can hit that sub $20k price point anymore.

Last edited:

Jasper6144

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
If they can make ANY version of the truck for $19995 Ill literally eat my hat. Ive said that the whole time, for over a year now, that rumored base price is absurd. You certainly wouldnt be getting any more than the 1.5 engine and front wheel drive at that price either.

If they DID manage to get that one cheap you're looking at a completely base, rubber floor, rear seat delete, peel-formance white, all gray body plastic body panel, fleet model. Thats exactly how Id probably buy it but i dont hold out any hope they'll be that cheap to start since its ludicrous. Hell, the base Ecosport STARTS at that price and all that thing is is basically a lifted Fiesta hatchback. You're telling me a truck built off the Escape platform can match that at any build level?

Actually I just checked, the Ecosport now starts at over $20k before delivery. So not even the base Ecosport can hit that sub $20k price point anymore.
Feel free to post a video of eating your hat.... ;)
Sponsored