Sponsored

Removing light scuff marks from black rear bumper?

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the more you mechanically work this scuff the worse it will look.

follow what @Maverickman74 suggested and try a hair dryer. mask off the scuff close and out a couple inches and then keep the dryer moving back and forth until the light colored scuff stuff melts slightly. not enough heat? step to a heat gun set on low. slow and careful is the key here.
heat will melt the roughened area and blend it in to minimize (not eliminate so don't try) the damaged appearance. too much heat will make the area shiny and imo look just as bad as the scuff.

me, I'd break out my Dremel multi function butane heat gun and have at it. we're old acquaintances.

Ford Maverick Removing light scuff marks from black rear bumper? heatgun
Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the more you mechanically work this scuff the worse it will look.

follow what @Maverickman74 suggested and try a hair dryer. mask off the scuff close and out a couple inches and then keep the dryer moving back and forth until the light colored scuff stuff melts slightly. not enough heat? step to a heat gun set on low. slow and careful is the key here.
heat will melt the roughened area and blend it in to minimize (not eliminate so don't try) the damaged appearance. too much heat will make the area shiny and imo look just as bad as the scuff.

me, I'd break out my Dremel multi function butane heat gun and have at it. we're old acquaintances.

heatgun.jpg
Always something to learn on this forum. Started out as removing scuff marks from the trim and suddenly my eyebrows perched up when I saw your Dremel multi-function butane heat gun.!

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Always something to learn on this forum. Started out as removing scuff marks from the trim and suddenly my eyebrows perched up when I saw your Dremel multi-function butane heat gun.!
LOL, bought it for the wife's jewelry making hobby and ended up using it more myself for soldering and heat shrink.
caution, it won't handle rough treatment, don't toss it into the tool box.

Reactions: Dad

Wilbur

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Ford F100
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rather than beginning with a mechanical fix like a heat gun, you might start with cleaning up and chemically annealing the surface of the hard black plastic.

A cleaner such as Meguiar's Ultimate Black or Mother's Back to Black will clean any dust and other contaminants out the scuff marks and give you better visibility as to the actual mechanical repair that is necessary.

It may be that after a cleaning with Back to Black or whatever, you can see that the plastic needs re-work in specific areas and not others as a second step.

Sponsored

Fix4Dirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Explorer XLT SOHC 4x4 2" Lift
Engine
Undecided
detailer here. personally i find stuff like back 2 black unnecessary, since doing something like an IPA wipe or APC wipe down will show you what youre looking at. the issue with these is that it makes little gouges into the plastic and looks like plastic whisp so to speak. thats what makes somethin like a hair dryer a very very hard repair to get right since yeah if its one gouge maybe itll expand enough to fill that but with so many of them the closest i have gotten to a fix is snipping the tops of the whisps and then expanding

however, yours dont seem as deep as some I have worked with. in my experience (your mileage may vary) some heat helps bring back the OE color and then something liek back 2 black hides it fully and entirely the tiny tiny whisps may still be visible, but only to the trained and close eye. most likely no one will ever notice.

a few words of caution

if heated too much then the texture changes since it looks a tiny bit textured.
i see on the right side of the bottom scratch already no texture there, so texture wont really come back, dont expect there to be texture in that particular spot.

this is just my opinion based on my experience, others may be different.

Fix4Dirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Explorer XLT SOHC 4x4 2" Lift
Engine
Undecided
Rather than beginning with a mechanical fix like a heat gun, you might start with cleaning up and chemically annealing the surface of the hard black plastic.

A cleaner such as Meguiar's Ultimate Black or Mother's Back to Black will clean any dust and other contaminants out the scuff marks and give you better visibility as to the actual mechanical repair that is necessary.

It may be that after a cleaning with Back to Black or whatever, you can see that the plastic needs re-work in specific areas and not others as a second step.
sound advice overall. one thing tho being that b2b or ub doesnt just clean, it also tries to darken plastics with oils etc, that can hide the under finish. similiar to polishes w/ silicones or whatever its called that makes certain ones not body shop safe, since oils int he formula can hide defects underneath. as such id suggest APC or IPA wipe to remove oils, preferably IPA
Sponsored