First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT, '20 F-250
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These memories are banned on MTC because they inconveniently point out to the more rabid fanboys that the Maverick is a fat bloated pig of a truck compared to what was sold last century. It ruins the narrative that the Maverick is a svelte small truck.

Four things are guaranteed to set off the more rabid fanboys. (1) Complimenting the Santa Cruz. (2) Pointing out that the Maverick is 3" longer than a Telluride. (3) Inconveniently reminding them that they're choosing the truck built in Mexico over the truck built in Alabama USA. (4) Saying the word "electric" in any context.

Most pithy and reminiscent post...ever.
Sponsored

No Brand

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XLT, '20 F-250
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1984 Red S-10, had a 1.9L Isuzu engine with 82 BHP and 101 lb ft of torque. 4-sp manual, I remember driving it from Chicago to NC through the Smokey Mtns and having to pull over every so often to prevent it from overheating. I don't think it had an option on it. It was the first of 3 S-10's I would eventually own.
You, are a glutton for PUNISHMENT.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

...the market years ago proved that's not viable. it's the same reason we don't have a manual transmission ecoboost option- there are just too many people who want/need 4 seats and too few who can live with only 2.
This.☝

I had an S-10 as my first truck. The transmission went out at 28k and I got rid of it. Next two trucks were F-150s, which were very reliable. All 3 of these trucks had no back seat. When I heard Ford was coming out with the Maverick and it had 4 doors, I was reluctant to get one. But it dawned on me I could get rid of my Subaru; and with the Maverick, have both a truck and a vehicle with a back seat all in one. And my stuff hauling is limited enough that the Maverick bed is plenty big.

A lot of buyers previously owned cars & suvs; and many are also first time buyers of a US brand vehicle. They want a back seat, a truck, and for many, a hybrid. With the Maverick, you can have all this and not need 2 vehicles.

Two-seater trucks are a niche market now, as is a manual shift vehicle.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will have to try to dig out some pictures at some point.
Trucks I have had in order of ownership (not counting any cars)
1970 Chevy C10 Regular cab short bed - Technically my first driver in early 90's but also drove my dad's 83 Dodge Ram regular cab long bed
1998 GMC Sonoma regular cab short bed - Purchased new had it for 7 years
2002 Ford Ranger extended cab short bed - purchased used in 2006
2009 Ford F150 Extend Cab short bed - purchased used in 2011
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid - Purchased new 2023

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL 2.0 AWD 4K CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Too bad all the mini trucks were before cell phone cameras, other wise we would see lots of pictures. I can’t find any pictures of mine.

Sponsored

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I owned a 1996 Ranger but with it being 4WD it sat up quite a bit and I never thought of it as a mini truck. My dad had an early, maybe 1980 Datsun, and that was a tiny truck.

In my retirement I decided to go for a high mileage non gas truck from those early years and ended up with this 1981 diesel VW. I have tuned it up so it has a few extra HP over the base 53 it came with.

Notice how I figured out how to prevent someone from stealing it. It just takes a few extra minutes to install the wheel when it is time to go.

Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? 2018-04-27 11.14.39

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My first Ranger, a 1983 4WD in Desert Tan, first year for the 2.8L V6, only 115hp but hauled my 15' fiberglass boat without a problem with the manual trans.
Then later a 2000 4.0L FX4 in Oxford White

Last edited:

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I loved having my 1974 Datsun pickup back in high school. I have so many fun memories of fixing it up with my friends. Post your pics if you have any of your mini truck!

IMG_1941.jpeg
Wanted to see it better. Hope you don't mind.

Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? datsun

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wish I had photos of all my old trucks. Over the years I had 2 Mazda’s (B2000 & B2200, both pre ranger). Also had 2 S10’s and all 4 were manuals…miss those days
Dated a guy who had a Mazda B2000. He left work one day to discover someone had stolen it. Major bummer.

Sponsored

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I loved having my 1974 Datsun pickup back in high school. I have so many fun memories of fixing it up with my friends. Post your pics if you have any of your mini truck!

IMG_1941.jpeg
Every other car in the high school parking lot was a Datsun pickup. And they were tricked out like this photo and with even more "bling". Some had quad headlights, the fenders were molded into the frames, etc. This photo brings back fun days!!

Sorren66

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Avalanche
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? Toyo piant
Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? Toyo done
My 1st truck....1978 Toyota SR-5 with 22R motor 5 speed with bucket seats. Traded my labor to paint a small building for the truck in 1985. Rusted out and needed a clutch, brakes, tune up, valves adjusted and had a leaking pinion seal.

Fixed everything except the pinion seal-didn't have the tools and it was a very slow leak LOL.

I put 40k on top of the 200k that it already had and sold it for $2000. It took all the abuse I could give it including 2 wheel drive open diff off roading Note: this was in Illinois-very flat state where I lived at the time, and never broke anything. I was driving home one summer night and was close to my house when the diode trio blew on the 225K original alternator. I actually head them pop since I was going about 20 mph at the time and had the windows open (no A/C). Had the alt rebuilt for $75, a new one was $250 in 1987 dollars!!

Great little truck and got about 25 mpg with my rather aggressive driving style.

Last edited:

bartflossom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver XLT Hybrid - "Dirk"
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I fell for this commercial hook line and sinker in 84. 84 was also the speed it topped out at. This is the exact color and stripes it had. Check out that body roll, lol. Took it to Colorado and barely made it over some of the passes. Loved it so much. When wife had our first baby traded it in on a new dodge caravan. That was a mistake.

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First vehicle I ever bought with money from my summer job. 88 Mazda B2200. Lowered with blocks, on stupid small tires, with 3 12” Rockford Fosgste Subs and a Soundstream amp tucked behind the bucket seats. This is the one vehicle in my life I regret selling the most.

Many years later I bought an 86 (I think) S10 longbed. And within 2 weeks it was stripped to the frame and became the chassis for a 52 GMC. It’s an S10 underneath so I feel like it counts even if it weighed many tons more by the time I was done.

Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? IMG_4322

Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? IMG_4315

Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? IMG_4317

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My first truck was a Mazda B2200, aka courier..totalled by a red light runner😡 bought a 97 Ranger to take its place.
Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? IMG_2288
Ford Maverick Remember your first mini truck from back in the day? IMG_2289
Sponsored